shy1akaanh

Validity of Answers?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

kind of a dumb question, but i checked a lot of threads for the answer with no result. my question is that how can the CO test the validity of answer of the interviewee? i meant questions like "what does your husband like to eat?" not "what is your husband name". does the american citizen get an interview too? please elaborate on this. thanks

---

Marriage: 03-15-2009

I130 Sent: 05-25-2009

NOA1: 05-27-2009

NOA2: 08-22-2009

NVC: 09-25-2009

Email from NVC: 01-29-2010

Medical: 02-14-2010

Interview Date: 03-01-2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
kind of a dumb question, but i checked a lot of threads for the answer with no result. my question is that how can the CO test the validity of answer of the interviewee? i meant questions like "what does your husband like to eat?" not "what is your husband name". does the american citizen get an interview too? please elaborate on this. thanks

No, just the beneficiary is interviewed. The USC is not even allowed in the building.

The CO takes it all in total. Some questions may be asked 2 or 3 times checking for consistency. Couples ought to know the mundane things about each other.

The CO forms an opinion based on the evidence presented and the interview. Prepare your evidence well. Prepare your spouse well.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

so is it all right for my spouse to answer that i like to eat pho even though i don't as long as she is consistent in the fact that i like pho? just wondering how the CO exactly judges those kind of questions. thanks

---

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
so is it all right for my spouse to answer that i like to eat pho even though i don't as long as she is consistent in the fact that i like pho? just wondering how the CO exactly judges those kind of questions. thanks

its alright, but tell her what you like to eat and then it will be the truth... if you get thrown into AP as many have lately they could call you and ask you questions... better match what she said... thats why there is no problem having stories match when both sides say the truth... I can send you a list of questions they may ask.. PM me if you want it...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Search this forum and you will find lots of lists of questions asked in the interviews. There is no "master list" of questions.

Don't sweat the trivial. Not knowing every single detail is ok. An occasional "I don't know" is normal. Family, friends, hobbies, work, hometown are things she ought to know about.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
If you are asking if it is ok to lie then no it isn't. Just tell the truth. If she is found at any time to have lied then just figure the chances of getting the visa to be never will happen ever.

She will be more comfortable telling the truth. Furthermore, the CO will be judging how she responds, so you want her to really know these things about you, which will make her more confident when answering. The CO will notice her confidence and sincerety making him want to give her pink. We hope.

Timeline

oo you guys got me wrong. i'm not telling anyone to lies. i just wanted to know how the CO actually tests the validity of the answer. just curiosity

---

Timeline
oo you guys got me wrong. i'm not telling anyone to lies. i just wanted to know how the CO actually tests the validity of the answer. just curiosity

The CO can only confirm the validity of answers when the information is contained in the documents you submitted, or in public records (yes, they DO check public records about you).

For instance, they may ask "Does your fiance own his home?". You may not have provided this information on your I-134, but if you owned a home then it WOULD be in the public records maintained by LexisNexis, so the consulate WOULD know that you owned your home. If she answered "No", then it wouldn't look good.

On the other hand, they may ask "Who is your fiance's favorite musical artist?". Obviously, this (probably) isn't contained in any of the documents you submitted, nor in any public records. If she answered "Elvis Presley" (based on a true VJ story) the CO would have no idea if the answer was true or false. They may repeat the question, or rephrase it, to see if she gives a different answer later in the interview. Most of the time, when they ask questions like this they are looking for a lot of "I don't know" answers that would indicate your fiancee doesn't know very much about you. The same applies to questions like who is your best friend, what is your favorite food, where did you go to high school, boxers or briefs, etc.

The best position to be in when they start asking questions like this is for your fiancee to know the correct answers to most of the questions, and not respond with "I don't know" very often. On the other hand, a determined CO could bombard her with trivia questions trying to rack up enough "I don't know" answers to deny her visa. I can't recommend anyone lie to the CO, but an educated guess sounds better than ignorance. Maybe "I think he likes Elvis Presley" would be better than "I don't know".

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

The CO can only confirm the validity of answers when the information is contained in the documents you submitted, or in public records (yes, they DO check public records about you).

For instance, they may ask "Does your fiance own his home?". You may not have provided this information on your I-134, but if you owned a home then it WOULD be in the public records maintained by LexisNexis, so the consulate WOULD know that you owned your home. If she answered "No", then it wouldn't look good.

On the other hand, they may ask "Who is your fiance's favorite musical artist?". Obviously, this (probably) isn't contained in any of the documents you submitted, nor in any public records. If she answered "Elvis Presley" (based on a true VJ story) the CO would have no idea if the answer was true or false. They may repeat the question, or rephrase it, to see if she gives a different answer later in the interview. Most of the time, when they ask questions like this they are looking for a lot of "I don't know" answers that would indicate your fiancee doesn't know very much about you. The same applies to questions like who is your best friend, what is your favorite food, where did you go to high school, boxers or briefs, etc.

The best position to be in when they start asking questions like this is for your fiancee to know the correct answers to most of the questions, and not respond with "I don't know" very often. On the other hand, a determined CO could bombard her with trivia questions trying to rack up enough "I don't know" answers to deny her visa. I can't recommend anyone lie to the CO, but an educated guess sounds better than ignorance. Maybe "I think he likes Elvis Presley" would be better than "I don't know".

If they cannot get enough wrong answers to deny her they will simple say she gave the wrong answers to questions that were never asked.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-05

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-08-04

Interview Date : 2008-11-06

Interview Result : Denied 2008-12-05

Round 2

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Marriage : 2009-04-13

I-130 Sent : 2009-04-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-04-29

I-130 Approved : 2009-09-09

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-05

Packet 4 Received : 2009-11-13

Interview Date : 2009-12-23

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2010-01-07

POE minneapolis 02-19-10

By my side happy everafter 02-19-10

Timeline

If they cannot get enough wrong answers to deny her they will simple say she gave the wrong answers to questions that were never asked.

Sad but true.

Timeline

True. If they are determined to deny going into the interview, then they are going to deny. Nothing the beneficiary says or does during the interview is going to change this. In a long and grueling interview they are just looking for that "one thing" they can use as justification to send the case back to USCIS. There's enough anecdotal evidence on this forum that they'll conjure up something if they don't get something concrete during the interview.

In a case like this, I think it's best not to focus on the bogus reason they used to deny, but to scrutinize the case and figure out why they were determined to deny before the interview began. Those are the things that needed to be addressed in a response, appeal, or subsequent new filing.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

I would never recommend her to lie about any question honesty is the best policy. If she lies and forgets what her answer was the first time she answered the same question it will look bad. If she can answer every question that might not be so good as well. They might ask a question they expect her not to be able to answer but if she does..... I am sure you are getting my point. Tell her to answer everything truthfully and if she does not know a answer to tell them that. If she is not sure about the question make sure she does not answer have her ask them to repeat the question until she is sure what they mean. This is what I had my fiancée do. We might have got blue but I would not have it any other way. Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

For our K3, the CO asked Tuyen about my parents then asked where they live. In the CO's report they said she didn't know where I lived, not my parents. They do lead the questioning in one direction the do a 180 to confuse a person. Tuyen didn't like the CO or the translator, she said they were rude.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.