Jump to content

American citizen married to Canadian citizen overseas


3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Country: Canada

Hello everyone,

Newbie here looking for a step in the right direction. My wife and I recently got married overseas. She is a U.S. citizen and I am Canadian. We have proof of our wedding through a notarized wedding certificate of the host country.

My wife and I are contemplating on a home in the near future. We are still in school and have two years remaining under our belt. We want to settle in the U.S. for many reasons in contrast to Canada. I have looked through some material on this website and I remain a little puzzled at so may different possible venues I can possibly take.

I was hoping someone can point out specifically what my first step would be. I am currently in the states with my wife for a week and I want to get some paperwork taken care of so we are officially recognized as a married couple here in America.

I will be returning to Canada next week to continue with my school and we will maintain a long-distance marital life until we both finish school. It is a pretty unique case and I would really appreciate if someone could step up and help us out.

Thank you very kindly. :thumbs:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam

If you're not planning to live in the US for 2 years you will have plenty of time to evaluate the options. You will submit a copy of your marriage certificate with the visa petition, nothing else needed to establish the validity.

Your wife is living in the US or elsewhere? Your spouse would file for a CR1/IR1 visa for you (same thing, difference is how long you've been married) when you folks are ready.

Read the guides, and the example forms. The regional forum will give you good info about entering the US for visits. Now that you have a spouse in the US, you may find it isn't as worry free to enter for long periods of time. Follow the guidance of those who have travelled / are now traveling that road.

Welcome to VJ.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318


PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...