21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Hi there,

How do I find out whether my partner is above the 125% poverty line?

(he has several properties, a LOT of land, about 6 cars and inheritance money.. he works for himself [building computers].. is this enough?)

I really have no clue about this..

any info please?

Hi there,

How do I find out whether my partner is above the 125% poverty line?

(he has several properties, a LOT of land, about 6 cars and inheritance money.. he works for himself [building computers].. is this enough?)

I really have no clue about this..

any info please?

http://www.atdn.org/access/poverty.html

If you have no clue read the VJ Guides.....

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

thank you for the link..

so basically if he earns over $13537.50 a year.. hes 125% above the poverty line?

does it go on assets also?.. or only income? thank you

PLEASE read the VJ Guides

This link will help you but you need to start reading all the VJ Guides :thumbs:http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=support

thank you for the link..

so basically if he earns over $13537.50 a year.. hes 125% above the poverty line?

He would be 125% of the guideline for just himself - you have to add any/all people to his household - such as yourself which would jump the minimum to $18212 - more if he's in Hawaii or Alaska.

If his income alone is sufficient, there is no need to complete the optional sections (i.e., assets, bank accounts, etc).

thank you for the link..

I'm not sure? Whats the Sponsor's household size? do you have kids? http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=support

125% over the fed. poverty line

2) 18.212

3) 22,887

4) 27,562

Edited by sjr09

Timeline
thank you for the link..

I'm not sure? Whats the Sponsor's household size? do you have kids? http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=support

125% over the fed. poverty line

2) 18.212

3) 22,887

4) 27,562

thanks guys :D

There is only him at the moment..

and myself and my daughter moving

Timeline
is only him at the moment..

and myself and my daughter moving

In that case - his calculations should always be based on a household size of 3. :thumbs:

thank you very much.

he doesn't have a great income.. so im guessing the 5xassets would have to be included.. would it be safe to get a co-sponsor also?.. or will the assets be enough?

sorry for all the question, just like to get it straight. lol. thanks

he doesn't have a great income.. so im guessing the 5xassets would have to be included.. would it be safe to get a co-sponsor also?.. or will the assets be enough?

To clarify - take the difference between what the minimum requirement is (for a household size of 3) and what he earns - that is the amount his assets would need to make up.

The calculation is (for him sponsoring his spouse) is 3x (not 5x). So if he needed to make up $2,000 for example, he would need to show $6000 in liquid assets.

Without knowing all the numbers - it may very well be a good idea to simply secure a co-sponsor rather than go through all the trouble of proving the value of assets - and possibly have the Embassy/Consulate still ask for a co-sponsor in the end.

Just my opinion of course..

Timeline

To clarify - take the difference between what the minimum requirement is (for a household size of 3) and what he earns - that is the amount his assets would need to make up.

The calculation is (for him sponsoring his spouse) is 3x (not 5x). So if he needed to make up $2,000 for example, he would need to show $6000 in liquid assets.

Without knowing all the numbers - it may very well be a good idea to simply secure a co-sponsor rather than go through all the trouble of proving the value of assets - and possibly have the Embassy/Consulate still ask for a co-sponsor in the end.

now im confused.. as this link http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=support states it is 5x.

thank you very much though

now im confused.. as this link http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=support states it is 5x.

Take the advice given "Without knowing all the numbers - it may very well be a good idea to simply secure a co-sponsor rather than go through all the trouble of proving the value of assets - and possibly have the Embassy/Consulate still ask for a co-sponsor in the end".

Timeline

Take the advice given "Without knowing all the numbers - it may very well be a good idea to simply secure a co-sponsor rather than go through all the trouble of proving the value of assets - and possibly have the Embassy/Consulate still ask for a co-sponsor in the end".

thank you all very much... :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Everything you need to know is in the I-864 instructions that are part of the form. I had a financial statement done showing all my assets besides my income, my attorney said I didn't need that, my income was enough.

The big question in my mind is the I-864 really a legal document, it wasn't that I didn't trust my wife, would trust her and still trust her with my life. It just that unexpected things can go wrong, could be severely injured or wiped out by some other means. And you don't freely enter to this agreement with the government, you are forced to sign it if you want your wife and step child to come here. If you don't sign, they won't let them come. Kind of like that oath I was forced to take after being drafted, if I didn't say it, would have tossed me in jail.

But what the hell, I signed it, wanted my wife here. She is a USC now, so that contract is null and void, even considering going on welfare, what the hell, paid enough taxes for others, should enjoy some of that money myself and getting tired of working my a$$ off and having a huge chunk of my income taken away by the government. If the government had to work as hard as we do to earn that money, they would be a hell of a lot more careful about spending it.

I think everyone has jumped way too quickly on the "get a cosponsor bandwagon" here. It's a very serious thing- a legally binding contract obligating another person to be financially responsible for the OP and her child for quite some time. From what the OP has stated ("he has several properties, a LOT of land, about 6 cars and inheritance money") the petitioner has more than enough resources to sponsor the beneficiary, and while the OP may not know all the numbers, it is the petitioner filling out the form. The petitioner should have access to valuations of the land, bank statements and resale values of the other 5 cars (you cannot count your first), or should be willing to obtain them. I couldn't bear to think of asking someone else to stand in for me if I had all of that at my disposal. Shoving the responsibility off on someone else should not be the immediate response and should only be resorted to when absolutely necessary. It is not necessary here. A little legwork and they'd be all set.

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.