mae232

SS frustration!! Some advice please..

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok so I went to the SS office last July 15 to apply for an SS number..the lady said that it would take 3 weeks to get my SS number...my I-94 will expire on August 23..But Ok thats not a problem for me...plenty of time right?

Now waiting...and waiting...finally on August 14..I received a letter....

It said that they cannot issue a Social Security card at that time because my legal immigration status and/or documents will expire before an SSN card can be issued to me...

What???!!!

That doesn't make any sense..so I called and the lady said it took so long to verify my status..and it wasn't their fault that it took that long..hello???

When I went there my I-94 was valid..they had a WHOLE month to verify my status, and now they're telling me that they can't issue me a card just because my I-94 will expire?? That's total BS! In the first place it wasn't my fault that they took so long to verify it..For all I know I don't think they even verified...or they were just dragging their feet to do it...

I'm so frustrated because how come they sent me that mail like 9 days before my I-94 will expire..

I thought the "rule" was to go to the SS office 14 days before the I-94 will expire??? or is it 14 days AFTER they verify my status??

I really don't understand this 14 day rule..

Please someone clarify..I'm so confused right now..HELP!

Feb. 11, 2012 - Sent ROC application

Feb. 13, 2012 - NOA 1 date

Feb. 18, 2012 - Received NOA 1

July 18, 2012 - ROC APPROVED!

Ok so I went to the SS office last July 15 to apply for an SS number..the lady said that it would take 3 weeks to get my SS number...my I-94 will expire on August 23..But Ok thats not a problem for me...plenty of time right?

It said that they cannot issue a Social Security card at that time because my legal immigration status and/or documents will expire before an SSN card can be issued to me...

What???!!!

That doesn't make any sense..so I called and the lady said it took so long to verify my status..and it wasn't their fault that it took that long..hello???

When I went there my I-94 was valid..they had a WHOLE month to verify my status, and now they're telling me that they can't issue me a card just because my I-94 will expire?? That's total BS! In the first place it wasn't my fault that they took so long to verify it..For all I know I don't think they even verified...or they were just dragging their feet to do it...

I'm so frustrated because how come they sent me that mail like 9 days before my I-94 will expire..

I thought the "rule" was to go to the SS office 14 days before the I-94 will expire??? or is it 14 days AFTER they verify my status??

you are not alone, i dont have any social too, in S.S Office they tell me he same thing ..in 3 weeks max you will recieve your card, but nothing 4 weeks later i call to the office, and they tell me that they can give me a socilal becouse i dont appear in his system, becouse USCIS dont put me is his computer , so i suppose to wait until USCIS put me, so i call to USCIS and they tell me ...sorry but we can take 3 months to add you in the system, so send your AOS packet and will be add to our system...............what a f......., so i dont know why the 90% here have the social security whit problems , unfaire not?

K-1 & K-2
Visa in hand: may 14
POE: Chicago (O'Hare) 05/29/2009 finally together!!!958013z2g3nx0iwd.gif
384957uvzupp2kbf.gif
AOS Journey:
sep 25 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox (AOS FOR K-I & K-2)
sep 27 received and signed
0ct 7 NOA in mailbox (dated oct 2 )
oct 13 biometrics letter (10/27/2009)(DONE)
oct 21 transfer to CSC letter in mailbox ( dated oct 16)
nov 13 : EAD & AP approved
touch after EAD & AP approval? USCIS crazy ppl.
nov 20: AP arrive in the mail
nov 21: EAD arrive in mail

NOV 30: AOS APPROVED (Thanks GOD)
DEC 5: GC & SS arrived in mail
I-751 sent: 08/26/2011
NOA 1: 08/30/2011
BIO: 10/13/2011[/color
I-751 approved 06/28/2012
CARD RECEIVED 05/07/2012

I thought it was 14 days after arriving in USA because it takes about that for to come up in the system. Sorry you are having a hard time getting it. Proberbly had to wait for ead now?

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

Timeline

Oh yeah..I guess I have no choice but to wait for the EAD now..the only reason why I applied for the SS number is that I need to renew my Military ID card because we are moving...So now I have to find another way to have it without my SS number..It's just frustrating why people in the office are like that..I mean I would not feel bad if it was my fault but its not! It's not my fault that they are really SLLLOOOWW...they deliberately took their time and make an excuse to not give me the number..they could have just told me that they will not process when I went there in the first place..and not like this waiting for weeks until my I-94 will expire! I can't believe people like that..grrrr..i guess im just venting out my frustration..Thanks everyone! =)

Feb. 11, 2012 - Sent ROC application

Feb. 13, 2012 - NOA 1 date

Feb. 18, 2012 - Received NOA 1

July 18, 2012 - ROC APPROVED!

Timeline

The social security offices are full of incompetent people. Ours tried to convince us she was ineligible. Filled out the form wrong multiple times. Filed it incorrectly. Repeated phone calls failed to get through. Went to the office and they did not admit they had lost it. Told us there was nothing they could do instead. Like it would be found by magic I guess. They insisted we wait and did not bother telling us to re-file since they had lost it.

We have the receipt dated months before they finally sent us a letter that we had applied to late. We were six weeks early in applying.

Too bad for you! We screwed up so its your fault.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

What???!!!

a SSN cannot be issued within 14 days of expiration of the I-94... if it takes a long time to verify your status and you cross over the 14 day threshold then an SSN will not be issued. It is the rules and it is unfortunate you got caught up in this situation

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.