nydvo

Filipina filed for divorce

232 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

im a filipina married in the US year 2007.,after 6 months in the US, i chose to leave coz marriage didnt work out, and my USC husband will never file the divorce just to be spiteful., I filed the divorce March 2009.. and is now waiting for the Divorce decree...

can i marry again in the US?

I have no record of marriage in the philippines coz i was married in the US, even though i know that the marriage is valid here in the philippines..

i badly need help.,

i think ive been to gazillion of website concerning this but no situation like mine.. most of the marriages were done here in the philippines..

i will answer any questions if u need more information..

Thank u

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously you can not marry until the decree is final (and their may be a waiting period that prevents you from marrying directly after - depends on the state).

When you are able to marry - you're certainly allowed to - the question is, would you be allowed to remain in the US (and can you even remain while waiting for the divorce to be finalized).

(What visa did you arrive on - and what is your current status?)

Edited by Otto und Karin

im a filipina married in the US year 2007.,after 6 months in the US, i chose to leave coz marriage didnt work out, and my USC husband will never file the divorce just to be spiteful., I filed the divorce March 2009.. and is now waiting for the Divorce decree...

I have no record of marriage in the philippines coz i was married in the US, even though i know that the marriage is valid here in the philippines..

i badly need help.,

i think ive been to gazillion of website concerning this but no situation like mine.. most of the marriages were done here in the philippines..

Thank u

of course namn po pede kc jan ka namn naksal eh meron sadyang divorce jan at khit kelan di ka nagpaksal dito.. kya khit mag-asawa ka jan walang mgiging prob... :thumbs:

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Timeline
Obviously you can not marry until the decree is final (and their may be a waiting period that prevents you from marrying directly after - depends on the state).

When you are able to marry - you're certainly allowed to - the question is, would you be allowed to remain in the US (and can you even remain while waiting for the divorce to be finalized).

(What visa did you arrive on - and what is your current status?)

I am waiting for the divorce decree.. but of course,, I cannot start a k1 unless i have the divorce decree.. the thing is.. lots of issues that A FILIPINO WHO INITIATED THE DIVORCE WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO GET MARRied again under the Philippine Law, at the same time that only applies to those married in the Philippines.. what about those who was married in the US>

i went to the US 2007 thru K1 visa..

but i left the US after 6 months.. werent able to do the AOS..

Edited by nydvo

i went to the US 2007 thru K1 visa..

but i left the US after 6 months.. werent able to do the AOS..

OK - well under US Law (again, once the divorce is final) - you could marry again here if you wanted.

are you still in the US and you werent able to file AOS since you got here? or you're now in phil? im so sorry for your situation and that your marriage didnt work out. i was on K1 too (2007) and 4 months ago i finally reported our marriage at the Phil Consulate in san fran. meaning for those who reported their marriage outside in phil, they now have our records at the NSO. in your situation, perhaps you're still single in phil. and once you go back and filed for another k1 perhaps the only agency that knows about you being married abroad is the US embassy. im no expert on this and all i can do is guessing what's next to happen which is not helpful at all. but i truly wish you luck and hope you'll find your answers here in the forum.

:thumbs:

God bless

Edited by RonMay

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Timeline
are you still in the US and you werent able to file AOS since you got here? or you're now in phil? im so sorry for your situation and that your marriage didnt work out. i was on K1 too (2007) and 4 months ago i finally reported our marriage at the Phil Consulate in san fran. meaning for those who reported their marriage outside in phil, they now have our records at the NSO. in your situation, perhaps you're still single in phil. and once you go back and filed for another k1 perhaps the only agency that knows about you being married abroad is the US embassy. im no expert on this and all i can do is guessing what's next to happen which is not helpful at all. but i truly wish you luck and hope you'll find your answers here in the forum.

God bless

ive been back here in the PHilippines since Aug. 2007. only stayed in the US for 6 months. No AOS filed.

Didnt report the marriage at the Philippine Consulate coz in the first place we didnt know that we have to.

My Cenomar now still shows im single.. but, if i will start a k1 application, i will attach my divorce decree..theres gonna be a conflict there.

i can never find any situation the same like mine. its so frustrating..

If i need an annulment, how am i gonna do that if i have no record that i was married here...

thank u so much for the reply! .I hope too that someone can enlighten me here..

God bless

ive been back here in the PHilippines since Aug. 2007. only stayed in the US for 6 months. No AOS filed.

Didnt report the marriage at the Philippine Consulate coz in the first place we didnt know that we have to.

My Cenomar now still shows im single.. but, if i will start a k1 application, i will attach my divorce decree..theres gonna be a conflict there.

If i need an annulment, how am i gonna do that if i have no record that i was married here...

i hope Jom (she's a vj member and a good Pinay lawyer) can butt in and can give you some thoughts. :thumbs:

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Filed: Timeline

God bless

You need to divorce in the same US state that you were married....or in the state that you lived for 6 months..

example you married in LAS VEGAS but actually lived in California for 6 month, California is the state in that you need a divorce decree....

Since you are now in RP....i am not sure how you can do that without a lawyer in the US....

It is none of our business but are you sure you want to do ALL this again with another K1 petitioner?

Maybe your "second K1 petitioner" can file all the divorce papers for you....if he is willing to wait and go thru all the hassle, shelling out a bunch of money.. and maybe find out what really happened..... that is if is located in the US.

Good luck....

i badly need help.,

Thank u

You have to follow the procedure of divorce on the state you got married. Just follow those procedure. Based on your post, there is a possibility that your husband won't sign your divorce paper... Study that aspect.

Luckily you did not get married in the Philippines, if you did, you have to file for annulment since you are the one wanting the divorce.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

You can file a petition for“Declaration of nullity” this refers to marriages that are considered void or inexistent from the very beginning,since your marriage dont exist at NSO..i hope this helps...goodluck..

3561055465_7e32541543_m.jpg3561659436_e8b5cc66fc_m.jpg

"Our Wedding Prayer"

Lord,help us to remember when we first met,and the strong love that grew between us.

To work the love into practical things so nothing can divide us

Grant us a Love that grows stronger with each passing year.

We ask for words both kind and loving

and for hearts always ready to ask forgiveness as well as to forgive.

Guide us to overcome every challenge

and keep our dreams pure to each other always.

Dear Lord,we put our marriage into Your hands.Amen

If your heart acquires strength, you will be able to remove blemishes from others without thinking evil of them.

i know only this, if a Filipina filed the divorce, she cannot remarry anymore.

if the USC filed the divorce, she can have it recorded in the Philippines and that will enable her to get married again.

Seek a lawyer on this matter just to be safe.

Petitions are expensive, you don't want to waste all your money just to get denied.

Good luck!

i badly need help.,

Thank u

The answer to your question is yes. You can remarry in the United States after your divorce was granted by the court because divorce is legal in the United States. Yes, your marriage is valid in the Philippines according to Article 26 of the Family Code of the Philippines.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

A member here who was actually married to a Filipino obtained her divorce decree in Hongkong and the same divorce decree was recognized by the US Embassy in Manila during her K1 interview. She is now happily married to a USC here in the USA. If you filed your divorce here, I see no reason why it wouldnt be honored by the US Embassy if you have the intention to marry another USC.

Since you are a Filipino citizen, our family laws apply to you even if you got married here, so your previous marriage is still valid in the Philippines . But why make things complicated? No need to obtain a CENOMAR since you did marry. Just make sure you have your marriage certificate and the divorce decree for future use. A K1 visa would be your best option because you can remarry here.

Goodluck .

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.