CraigUSA

Suggestions for Fiance to prepare coming to U.S

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello , im new here and excited this site exists for all of us to exchange such valuable information.

My Fiance is from Russia and we are on our way to get a stamp of approval. Hopefully soon! She has asked me if there is anything she can do in preparation in coming to the U.S. The one thing i asked her NOT to do was to drive. She knows how to drive but its been a while. In what i saw i felt better to teach her than to have to correct from the Russian way of driving. Is there anything that anyone has thought of or experience as being helpful in the transition in coming to the U.S.

Thanks

Craig

*K1 Timeline

-2006-1-2 First Email and begain our relationship

-2006-3-26 Met in Moscow for an Awesome Week together

-2006-5-2 Sent K-1 to Texas Svc Center where it was transfered to California

-2006-5-12 K-1 'Officially' received at California Service Center

-2006-5-15 NOA1 Received

-2005-6-2 Met in Her hometown of Krasnodar,Russia for week vacation

-2006-6-4 'Officailly' Proposed to her after speaking to her family for Blessing of Marriage

-2006-7-01 1st RFE received

-2006-7-02 RFE sent back with paperwork

-2006-7-5 RFE received by CSV

-2006-7-14 Email confirming receipt of RFE

-2006-7-15 Touched

-2006-8-09 NOA2....Finally

-2006-8-28 NVC Approved

-2006-8-29 On its way to Moscow

-2006-10-29 Interview Scheduled for 2007-1-31

-2007-01-31 Interview Cancelled by Anna

-2007-04-09 Application sent back to CSV

-2007-04-30 Relationship eneded

2008-1-10 We begin to talk again

2008-2-05 after the storm we both admit that we were stubborn and not being flexible of ourselves and cultur

2008-6-10 discussions of our feelings for one another are admitted (we never fell out of love)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You know that is a good question. I am in a similar situation. My wife, who is 30 years old, has never driven before in her life. Not a big deal if we lived in NY or Chicago, but I live in the Southwest where EVERYONE drives. What I have been doing is looking into driving schools. I COULD teach her but there are a couple of problems with that. 1) insurance 2) experiance 3) time

I would rather a pay secondary company to use their car and their insurance to teach my new driver how to drive. I also want to make sure she learns the proper procedures in case of an emergency. *I* know what to do for an emergency...I am just not confident that I can teach it. And I have a job that is seasonal. And..well we are going into the season. I don't think I'm going to have a whole lot of time to be doing 'teaching'.

Plus I'm kind of the opinion that driving a car is like owning a gun. If you don't teach a user how to use it propery someone could get killed.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Graig,

I am from Russia (kind of). Now it's a separate country, Moldova. But it all used to be one huge country. About preparation - she should try to get some English if she doesn't know it already. Another advice somebody gave me and i'm passing it along - to bring her favorite things. Something she can't find here. You should try to find a Russian store around for when she wants something familiar, and that might happen sooner or later.

About driving - hire somebody, i was tought by a Russian guy who has a driving school - he gave me good hourly rate. And that's much better than getting all nervous while she's driving your car and you're afraid of an accident.

Good advice, Joel.

Tanya

Met online - May 2004

Met in person - August 2004

Got married - May 2005

Filed I-130 - July 2005

Filed I-129 - August 2005

Interview - February 2006 - 221(g) - still under investigation.

Another useless interview - July 2006 - got nowhere!

August 23, 2007 - he's finally here!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

*My wife practiced in a company car in a parking lot so she could get used to controlling a car before she departed Vietnam.

*I did research and acquired an American (Orange County, CA) driving manual written in Vietnamese so she could study driving signs etc. in her free time before she departed Vietnam.

*She rode the public bus for 4 months to motivate her to get her license and observe the roads, etc.

*We practiced together in a Community college parking lot doing different skills.

3 more probabilities:

1.) She will have some type of accident within her first 6 months, I've heard others and my wife drove the car into a ditch, $175 recovery fee, no biggy. (she drove again the next day)

2.) Yes, you will need to pay a professinal to train him/her, because they know the small points and it's less stress on your relationship (very easy to lose patience)

3.) Plan to take either or both the written test and actual driving test twice.....it's a given

My wife has NO problems today, thank god & Buddha, knock on wood, etc...............

Good Luck

Driving is an absolute MUST!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I forgot:

My wife was also able to practice from home, the road sign test and the written test on Virginia's DMV web site (practice mutli choice tests).

Therefore, as you can see, there are many ways to prepare a newcomer to learn how to drive even BEFOR they arrive. With that said, one can do numerous other things (re: food, jobs, and logistics) to be proactive to make his/her transition much easier also.....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If she's not that good in english, put her through english courses. Pay for them. The rewards will be immeasurable.

Regarding driving... That's a good idea from patricks. My wife already had a Russian drivers license anyway but she still had to take the tests here in the states. After she arrived, she spent about two months manually translating the state license manual to Russian. If you want a copy send me a pm.

Having driven a lot in 'mad mad mad mad' Russia, I can tell you it's a great primer for driving here. Dodge ball on wheels :devil:

Yes Red Foreman, call me a dumbass

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'd say that if she can't drive, it's a much better idea to start learning while she's still in Russia, and preferably, on a car with a stick shift. If you can drive a stick shift, you won't have any problems driving in the U.S. As far as I'm aware, most rules in Russia and the U.S. are very similar, so she won't have to "correct" anything in her driving.

I also think it's a very good idea for her to start reading, watching TV and thinking in English - if her English is not good enough, she will have a hard time finiding a good job, making friends etc.

Other than what's already been said, I don't know. A lot depends on where in Russia you wife lived and where in the U.S. she's moving.

08/24/2005 - Arrived in the U.S. as an F-1 student.

01/25/2006 - Married my LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***AOS***

08/29/2006 - Medical

09/13/2006 - Package sent to Chicago

09/15/2006 - Package received in Chicago

09/23/2006 - Checks cashed

09/25/2006 - NOA for I-130, AOS and EAD

09/26/2006 - All forms touched

10/05/2006 - I-130 and EAD touched

10/10/2006 - I-130 and EAD touched again

10/10/2006 - RFE for AOS (email). Grrr...

10/11/2006 - RFE received. It's for I-864...

.png

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Best place to learn how to drive is in San Francisco in a stick shift on those hills....you will learn real fast there. :)

Aug 3, 2006 Sent I-129f in to CSC

Aug 15, 2006 They sent I-129F back saying form is outdated

Aug 15, 2006 Sent in updated I-129f

Aug 23, 2006 NOA1

Aug 25, 2006 They cashed my check

Aug 30, 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Nov 28, 2006 NOA2 approved

Dec 2, 2006 NOA2 recieved in mail

Dec 7, 2006 NVC sends letter saying it will be forwarded to manila in a week

Dec 12, 2006 I receive that letter from NVC

Mar 22, 2007 St. Lukes appointment

Mar 29, 2007 7:30am Interview

Mar 29, 2007 12pm APPROVED!!! PRAISE GOD!!!

April 10, 2007 Fiancee Arrived!!! WOO HOO!!!

June 26, 2007 Wedding

July 2, 2007 Medical for AOS

July 6, 2007 Sent in AOS (cutting it really close to the 90 days!)

July 8, 2007 USCIS receives i-485

July 16, 2007 NOA1

July 18, 2007 NOA biometrics

Aug 11, 2007 Biometrics appointment.

Oct 11, 2007 Interview

Oct 11, 2007 Green card Approved!!! Cant kick her out now!

Oct 18, 2007 Welcome letter saying Green card is on its way

Oct 22, 2007 2 year Green card arrived!!

When D tried to teach me how to drive in the UK, I ruined his clutch. :cry:

Don't feel bad. I think people stopped trying to teach me how to drive manual out of fear for what I would do to their clutches. I'm not an idiot, i'm not a bad driver I'm just missing the part of my brain that allows me to drive a manual car.

When/if Paul and I return to the UK we're either going to have a hell of a time finding me an automatic or everyone had better just clear the roads. Once I get in a high gear I don't slow down!

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.