GregBu

Weighing options...

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just looking for some general advice here, any thoughts or help is appreciated.

General Info:

I live in the U.S., she lives in Canada.

My fiancee is in grad school until May 2010. When she graduates, her degree should enable her to get a TN Visa, if she can find a job.

We're engaged, and until we started to really look at the Visa process had not considered getting married until Summer 2011.

So, having looked at the Visa process some now, we're uncertain how best to continue and see a few options ahead of us.

1. We get married in a few weeks when she visits me, so we can get the ball rolling on a CR-1 Visa, hoping it's done sometime close to her graduation in May (even though that seems unlikely from what I'm reading).

2. Same as 1, only she also works on her TN Visa, we're hoping you can do both, so she could move here on her TN visa while the CR-1 is still being processed (not sure if that works).

3. We hope for the TN Visa, but also work on applying her for a fiancee visa (K-1 I think?).

4. We count on the TN Visa, and start working on a more permanent visa after she gets here (no longer seems viable).

The gist of it is, we really hope she can move here in May 2010. Even if she can't work in the U.S. at that time, we don't want to spend any more time apart.

Advice?

Timeline

Hi Greg and welcome!

Well, it seems to me that perhaps you are making this more complicated than it needs to be. TN visas are not that easy to get - as you probably already know - plus you would have to wait until she graduates to apply - I would hazard a guess that you would already have the CR1 or K1 visa in your hand shortly - at that point.

Only you can make the decision between the CR1 or K1 - however here is a broad guideline:

K1 - fiancee visa

- More expensive than a CR1 visa

- Once you do all the K1 visa paperwork and she arrives in the U.S. and you get married - you then have to adjust her status - this can take a few months and she can't work until she gets an employment authorization document.

- If she lives in the west you can interview in Vancouver - generally they schedule interviews faster than Montreal - if she lives in the east - she has to interview at Montreal.

CR1 Visa

- You have to be married to apply

- You do not have to adjust her status as soon as she arrives. She can work right away - needs to remove conditions in 2 years.

- Interviews for this visa are only held in Montreal

So that's it in a nutshell - I would personally suggest the CR1 is a much better visa to apply for. If you applied, say, at the end of this month, you can reasonably expect for her to have her visa in hand by the time she graduates, if not before. That is 11 months away and is a reasonable time for processing. No worries if they do process it faster - she has 6 months to move to the U.S. after being issued the visa.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Heh, it's my job to overthink things, so when she asks me questions, I can explain my thought process and how I came to the conclusion I did. So when you say I'm overcomplicating things, I've no doubt you're right. Thank you for the advice.

Our biggest goal is to not spend a single day apart beyond what is necessary.

Timeline
Heh, it's my job to overthink things, so when she asks me questions, I can explain my thought process and how I came to the conclusion I did. So when you say I'm overcomplicating things, I've no doubt you're right. Thank you for the advice.

:lol:

Understandable. In my opinion, based on that criteria - the TN visa is not an option then? You would have to wait until she graduates, have her find an employer willing to sponsor her and then do the paperwork for the TN - vs applying for the fiancee or CR1 visa now and pretty much having the visa available when she graduates.

:)

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

hehe. I kinda chuckled when I read this...only because you have to understand that this goal can be hardest to achieve above all :)

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

hehe. I kinda chuckled when I read this...only because you have to understand that this goal can be hardest to achieve above all :)

Yeah, I was so naive coming into this. I'm like...#######, she's from Canada!! This shouldn't be so hard.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, I was so naive coming into this. I'm like...#######, she's from Canada!! This shouldn't be so hard.

Believe me, you're not alone there...so many of us thought we easier options :) I suggest reading all the info and having a talk with your fiancee about it and ask questions of us as you need to :)

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Timeline

:whistle: Those are fighting words in the CDN forum!

MONI_CALLA

Timeline

Go for the CR-1. The TN will be difficult; in this economic climate it is difficult for anyone to get a job, let alone one that requires sponsorship.

Trust me, employers shy away from hiring someone that needs a *gasp* visa to work for them.

Get married, she can continue with school and hopfully she will have the visa before May 2010 and she can join you as soon as she graduates.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

On the plus side, you can visit back and forth while undergoing the visa process. One of our members; flames9, who has already gone through the process has a pretty good guide in his signature on how to cross the border with ease:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=6471

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline
On the plus side, you can visit back and forth while undergoing the visa process. One of our members; flames9, who has already gone through the process has a pretty good guide in his signature on how to cross the border with ease:

Thanks, I'll check it out. What are the chances of an 'extended' visit after she graduates, before her Visa is approved? I mean, she can't work, but could she come to the U.S. for several weeks, maybe even a few months while it's processing?

Timeline

Thanks, I'll check it out. What are the chances of an 'extended' visit after she graduates, before her Visa is approved? I mean, she can't work, but could she come to the U.S. for several weeks, maybe even a few months while it's processing?

As long as she has ties to Canada, won't be a problem. She will need to bring proof that she plans on going back Canada before she gets her visa approved.

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

As long as she has ties to Canada, won't be a problem. She will need to bring proof that she plans on going back Canada before she gets her visa approved.

Does return airfare (like a roundtrip ticket) count?

Timeline

Does return airfare (like a roundtrip ticket) count?

Sure does! Also, a letter from her employer if she's working that she's due back on such date, a lease if she has one, etc. those types of things work well

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.