Peachey_Yinka

Not very much 'Bona Fida'

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The quote was from the national laws of Nigeria so 21 days are the number of REAL days required. But it is a country where money can buy you anything. We were offered a special marriage that would fit in my travel dates ( basically one weekend left to my month long trip) so we could marry the next day or the same day for a even bit more) but it sounded a little fishy so we are going K1. Such expedited marriages may be to blame for some of approval issues in Nigeria as they are not according to Nigerian law. I saw someone that looked very American poking through the postings and making notes. Ikoji is just a little ways from the embassy row and I was told by a guard from my fiances tribe that they stop by all the time to check on dates.

If you would like to verify the rules you can check out Nigerian marriage law

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
If you have photos, email chats, and phone records from the inception of the relationship that is good. If you get put in AP and he gets a home visit neighbors and family memebers better know your full name and that he is married to you.

You said you eloped. I nigeria for a marriage to be legally binding it has to be posted for 30 days with pictures of you and him with name and birthdates. Did he do this? The investigation unit will take this into consideration.

Oh well he lives and goes to school in the Philippines at the moment, that's where we got married so its all good.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
My hubby and I Eloped the first time I visited. His people know and are happy for us but most of my fam and friends don't know yet. We met on-line and had a quick courtship. Needless to say, we don't have very much 'Bona Fida'. Do we really need it? If so what are some other things we can use as evidence. I hope were not screwed.

How long have you been married now? Because of the scamming that happens, the consulate will be suspicious (for good reason) that this is all about getting him a visa to come to the U.S. The relationship shows no evidence of being durable. You two will need to provide it. The fact that his family is happy for him is quite normal -- he'll get to come to the U.S.

Timeline
My hubby and I Eloped the first time I visited. His people know and are happy for us but most of my fam and friends don't know yet. We met on-line and had a quick courtship. Needless to say, we don't have very much 'Bona Fida'. Do we really need it? If so what are some other things we can use as evidence. I hope were not screwed.

How long have you been married now? Because of the scamming that happens, the consulate will be suspicious (for good reason) that this is all about getting him a visa to come to the U.S. The relationship shows no evidence of being durable. You two will need to provide it. The fact that his family is happy for him is quite normal -- he'll get to come to the U.S.

We've been married for 3 months now. How does any relationship show evidence of durability? Wow you guys are so super negative toward Nigerians.

Timeline

I seen the link you posted but i also believe that if that type of marriage is not allowed in that country or contravenes the laws of that country they wont permit me and my hubby at what they called the federal registry cos i learned there are federal, states and local government registries and we filed all the necessary required papers and paid the necessary fees with reciepts and have our marriage certificate certified by the registrar of the registry, i am white and they see that and ask for my divorce certificate, birthcertificate, 2 passport photography, had me fill a form and sign, sworn an oath, attest to the information.....

So thing i believe is that such marriage like mine do exist in Nigeria but the link here http://www.nigeria-law.org/Marriage%20Act.htm may lack some information about the special marriage stuff but i am hoping you are wrong and i am right cos if i am wrong i will blame my self so bad cos its gonna cos me and hubby alot of set backs but hopefull i hope it doesnt cos the secretary of the registry said a copy of our marriage certificate will be sent to the US embassy in Lagos.....

I dunno just hope all is well.

K&O

Timeline
Does he still lives and go to school in philipines? mine now live in nigeria he deferred his studying in Malaysia. and we have been married almost 6months.

Yeah he is still in school down there. Did what country did you guys get married if i may ask?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It would be interesting to know out of the marriages that have had issues in Nigeria how many couples paid fees to have a quickie marriage. I know the registry you were at will take money for a quickie , as they offered us the same "service" We would have just had an gone to the local office for his tribe and gotten a certificate that he was single and return. For just over 900 we could have been married the same day and avoided the posting period all together. I am not one to pay unofficial fees in strange places so we decided to wait out the K1.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

We've been married for 3 months now. How does any relationship show evidence of durability? Wow you guys are so super negative toward Nigerians.

I think it is the U.S. Consulates in Nigeria that are so very very skeptical of anyone wanting a visa based on matrimony or intent to marry. They have their reasons. One trigger for them is sudden marriages when the parties have not gone through a courtship/engagement period to know each other better. It's happened often enough, and often enough the marriages fall apart as soon as the green card is granted.

Edited by Old Dominion

You will be "screwed" if you don't have a lot of evidence of you guys having a bonafide marriage. Nigeria is one of the highest fraud countries in the immigration system.

You have to do better than the scammers and the scammers are good!

Isn't Nigeria the country where I get all these unsolicited emails from the friendly bank president who wants to send me $2million dollars, if I just send him a goodwill token $7000 deposit to activate the account? Very generous offer, but I just don't have an extra $7K laying around.

Good luck with your petition. You probably want to try and make your relationship look serious. Take lotz of pics!

ps

Please say hello to the friendly banker there for me!

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

You will be "screwed" if you don't have a lot of evidence of you guys having a bonafide marriage. Nigeria is one of the highest fraud countries in the immigration system.

The bona fides are the essential evidence for the petition. You only need it for your petition to be successful.

As the intending immigrant is from the #1 fraud country for family based visas you have your work cut out for you.

Where do I find that s#%t list? I am curious now what countries are considered fraud country for fbv's.

- LB

Stay tune for yet another immi-saga in the life of LB & JD. Coming soon ---> AOS Chronicles

Timeline

Isn't Nigeria the country where I get all these unsolicited emails from the friendly bank president who wants to send me $2million dollars, if I just send him a goodwill token $7000 deposit to activate the account? Very generous offer, but I just don't have an extra $7K laying around.

Good luck with your petition. You probably want to try and make your relationship look serious. Take lotz of pics!

ps

Will do! I was wondering though, Isn't it true that a Philippina will marry a leper just to get out of that god awful country? Good luck with your marriage, i hope you have some handcuffs and a lots and lot of money.

Timeline

ps

Please say hello to the friendly banker there for me!]

There is no need for the snide comments. If you have nothing nice to say, then please do not respond and keep it to yourself.

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-03-10

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-06-18

Interview : 2009-12-10 - Denied

----------------------------------

Married : 2009-12-29

I-130 sent : 2011-03-24

I-130 noa1 : 2011-03-30

I-130 noa2 : 2011-07-25

ps

yes that is what nigeria is . the capital of the nigeria scam 419 . yes they have millions of dollars to give to americans. i saw the article on MSNBC about the nigeria. in date line about how to catch a thief. i love that show.

if u get email with money offering just delete it before reading.lol.

abby n sheryl

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.