birdlover2008

Interview Experience

38 posts in this topic

bird lover,

another quick question. When did you get your conditional green card? the waiver "may" take even 2 years to get approved if you divorced soon after your conditional green card. 751 waivers are low priority. So it wont be a surprise to see someone waiting 3 years from the date you got ur conditional green card. Your final decesion would come sometime after your one year extension expires. That's the worse case.

No not usually the waivers get approved within 2 years, i had file with waiver and took me less than 3 months and no interview, AOS no interview I-751 no interview as well, just keep praying and everybody have different circumstances, good luck to all the waivers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hello all, I wanted to post my interview experience from this morning in case it will help others and also get your opinions on this.

My interview was scheduled or 8:15 am, and I arrived at the local immigration officer aroung 7:50 am. There was a short line, and after about 10minutes of waiting I was called in by a middle aged femal interviewer. She started by introducing herself and asking me to drop all of my stuff (purse) and raise my right hand. Then she did the "I swear to tell the truth and whole truth..." and I said "I do" and then had a seat. She asked for ID, passport and green card. I pulled out an expired id first and then the updated one, she said she wanted them both. Also noticed that the address on my petition and id was not the same so she asked. And I explained to her that I had informed them of the address change online but then they did not make that change and so I just recently sent the AR-11. She gave me a handout explaining that there is 2 steps to changing addresses, online and physical form.

Part I: she asked me pretty much all of the questions on my application/petition one by one. For example my birthday, my ex-husband's name,...so on. And then asked me to verify that, at the bottom of my application was my signature. I answered everything correctly except my birthday- which is stupid, I confused month and date, we both laughed and I corrected that.

Part II: She asked me if I have any more evidence for her apart form what I submitted, and i gave two letters from our bank when we had a joint checking account. One verified address change and other one was something else I cant remember...she took them. I also told her I got more pictures, which she kept. And she went through the pictures and asked few questions, like, was this your wedding, was this during your wedding...

Part III: she asked me where we met, why we got married when he propsed (the date), when we got married, if I had any evidence from our pre-marraige relationship, and why we divorced including the dates of when we separated and such. I dont know how bad this is bad I could not remember the exact date of when I got proposed too, so she asked me to give her an approximate one. But I was able to remember important dates like the wedding date and such...She asked if I told my family about the wedding, and asked how they reacted to my wedding news, and if we visited my home country with my then husband.

Part IV: She said that I got married a few weeks before my student visa status was running out, and I got divorced a few months after I received the green card. So, did you get married for immigration reasons? I told her no, and that once I had said "yes' to his proposal it was important that we had to proceed with immigration business before I run out of the student status. us getting married meant being togther and part of that was to make sure that I was legal here...I probably used the different words.

Part V: She said she was going to make copies of my ID, green card, and passport and I should wait for her in the room. Then she came back and gave them to me. She said that I should always keep updating USCIS with my new address everytime I change addresses. Also, she said she will review my file later and make a decision. She smiled and said I will walk you out.

The interview lasted abotut 20-30 minutes.

I didnt see her get into a bad mood or anything, but I'm really confused to how this went since she asked me straight out that "did I get married for immigration reasons?" and she didnt make the decision today.

What do you guys think?

Thank you!

I do think that it seems sort of strange re the time when you got married and the divorce just after your green card; however while reading all your info, it softened the way how I originally felt. I do think that everything is ok.

JNR

Filed: Other Timeline

Again, thank you guys for putting your thoughts into this and the good luck wishes.

Anamaria2009: She didnt ask those questions, the only "straight forward" question she is asked is that "did I get married for immigration benefits?" She had asked me earlier, why did you guys get married, and I anwered because we were in love, and since we have been together for year, he had moved from his home state to be with me, we thought we belonged together. However, when she asked me that it seems like I got married few months/weeks before my student status expired and went to adjust my status right away, then I told her that once I said yes and we got married, we had to work toward making me legal here. So I would like to clear up the confusion. There were two questions, 1. why did you get married, 2. since you got married before the student status expired, did you do it for the immigration benefits.

Milan Kudrak: It's my mistake that I did not mention one of the questions in part II, which was: why did you get married? My answer to that was like I said above in my reply to Anamaria2009. So I hope you understand what I was trying to explain to her by saying that once we got married, we had to start the immigration process soon. She had a wierd reaction when I said that I was looking for jobs anywhere, more interested in my career that which country I stay- I studied international relations.

lailaa: I think you bring a good point in that if she is thinking of my address in longterm terms, it could mean that the petition will continue to be under review for a while. Me and my ex husband got into an arguement during the divorce process and we have not really spoken since then. But he has said throughout the marriage that it really sucks what we have to go through to just adjust my status and was fed up with them. Shortly after we separated the, I reminded him that my status depends on the marriage so that will be a problem...I remember him saying that despite the marraige falling apart, he wishes me well in that aspect and is willing to show up for interview with me if that helps. So I respect that aspect him. I think event if they call him he will just be so pissed with them and tell them that he is my ex-husband, and we had a bonafide marriage- with or without me tipping him off. He always said that they are ripping us off by taking so much money away for the forms and such.

sara9: Thank you so much for explaining the process of how to argue after they say no. I do know that they can't do anything unless a judge rules agains my case. I just dont want it to get all complicated and cost me a lot of money. My ex husband and all of his family will testify for me, so that wont be much of a problem. The thing is, I had a true marriage, burned through a divorce at a young age, so I just dont want anymore drama. I do beilieve in God, and he has never let me down. Despite it all, I thank him for the good life that he has given me and prey to him to keep protecting me.

3600rs: I did my biometrics on sept 11, 2008. My GC was approved on late August 2006, and I already extended my extension because I have been waiting for over a year for the conditions to be removed. So in about a month, it will be three years since I recieved my GC, I got it in Sept 2006.

Jamaican JNR: Thank you for your honesty. I hope it's ok as well.

Have a good weekend everybody!

You are a smart and organised person. I think you stand good chances of being succesfull with anythig you plan.

Just relax about the whole thing and enjoy your life, plan for the future.... and don't forget to write on this forum. :yes:

I would like to see the list of items you included in your I-751 package

(as I am struggling to organise mine now and is very difficult because I have too many papers and I am not sure what I should send and what not to).

Thank you,

looking forward to read you

(F)(F)(F)

K1 visa Sept. 2006

USA - arrived on January 2007

Married - March 2007

GC approved and received on September 12, 2007

August 2008 - filed for divorce

May 2009 - divorce decree

I-751 - September 4, 2009 (waiver - bonafide marriage)

NOA - September 17, 2009

Biomatrics - October 5, 2009

APPROVED ON DECEMBER 1, 2009

Filed: Timeline

3600rs: I did my biometrics on sept 11, 2008. My GC was approved on late August 2006, and I already extended my extension because I have been waiting for over a year for the conditions to be removed. So in about a month, it will be three years since I recieved my GC, I got it in Sept 2006.

Since you got your GC in September 2006, I will be looking at a decision sometime soon, or some where in the September 2009 area. Good luck. Will find it hard to believe your waiver not resolved 3 year after you got your conditional green card. There is something coming for you soon! BTW I am just curious. Why had you to wait to apply to remove conditions. You could have filed as soon as you got your decree. :D

Edited by 3600rs

Since you got your GC in September 2006, I will be looking at a decision sometime soon, or some where in the September 2009 area. Good luck. Will find it hard to believe your waiver not resolved 3 year after you got your conditional green card. There is something coming for you soon! BTW I am just curious. Why had you to wait to apply to remove conditions. You could have filed as soon as you got your decree. :D

I have waited 22 months and only because the send my file to the storage by mistake the IO was apologizing to me.

I am glad this one is over now I just need to file N400. Best wishes to you all.

You are a smart and organised person. I think you stand good chances of being succesfull with anythig you plan.

Just relax about the whole thing and enjoy your life, plan for the future.... and don't forget to write on this forum. :yes:

I would like to see the list of items you included in your I-751 package

(as I am struggling to organise mine now and is very difficult because I have too many papers and I am not sure what I should send and what not to).

Thank you,

looking forward to read you

(F)(F)(F)

Thank you for your kind and flattering words!

Definately send as much evidence as you can.

I sent the following documents:

I-751

copy of my green card

copy of wedding certificate

letter explaining the situations that led to divorce - notorized

copy of joint lease

letter from health insurance provider showing that I was included in my then husband's plan

copy of debit cards from our joint checking account

tax income return, filed jointly

pictures

joint mailing labels

I was going to include a notorized statement from my ex-husband but then the divorce arguements left us not wanting to speak to eachother and I was running out of time...I filed my petition few weeks before my GC expired. But if you can get that, that would help you a lot.

Good luck! I hope yours goes smoothly.

I didn't really have the chance to file before the 90 day window opened since my divorce didnt finalize until a few weeks before the expiration of my conditional card. The divorce took much longer than it should because of stupid reasons, e.g. the lawyer taking a vaccation, and my ex husband filing out the form wrong- he also lives in a different state now so we had to mail things back and forth. Any ways, I'm thankful to God that it was over before my gc expired, although the lawyer said that I could have still filed for removal of conditions event after my conditional gc expired.

Filed: Timeline

I didn't really have the chance to file before the 90 day window opened since my divorce didnt finalize until a few weeks before the expiration of my conditional card. The divorce took much longer than it should because of stupid reasons, e.g. the lawyer taking a vaccation, and my ex husband filing out the form wrong- he also lives in a different state now so we had to mail things back and forth. Any ways, I'm thankful to God that it was over before my gc expired, although the lawyer said that I could have still filed for removal of conditions event after my conditional gc expired.

If I were you I would be watching the mail everyday. And register online with CIS case status, look for touches on your file after the interview. Also you will be notified by email if there is an approval. Monthly infopass appointments also will help, ask the window officer the result of the interview. If you don't hear in couple of months write to the Ombudsman and your Senator. Till that time your case will be beyond normal processing times.

I did sign up for the online case status a while ago and it hasn't changed since March. If I don't hear from them in a couple of months, I'll have to do an infopass. Thank you for the advice.

Edited by birdlover2008

"Definately send as much evidence as you can. "

Ok. this means around 500 pages easy.....

oh, well, I guess better too much then less....

Your list seems very short

Did you have a immigration lawyer when you applied?

Regarding the letter from my ex .... no way ...

I divorced him on ground of abuse. He did and would do anything he can or could to screw me.

That's the kind of guy he is ... I guess I just have to prove that to USCIS....

K1 visa Sept. 2006

USA - arrived on January 2007

Married - March 2007

GC approved and received on September 12, 2007

August 2008 - filed for divorce

May 2009 - divorce decree

I-751 - September 4, 2009 (waiver - bonafide marriage)

NOA - September 17, 2009

Biomatrics - October 5, 2009

APPROVED ON DECEMBER 1, 2009

I divorced him on ground of abuse. He did and would do anything he can or could to screw me.

If you divorced him on grounds of abuse,you should send proof of that, along with the divorce decree, I think I read this somewhere on the form...but you probably know that by now. I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope thigs go well for you. :)

My list is short since we are both young, dont really have property together or not, and were married for under a year. And that is probably why interview was inevitable my case.

Hi Anamaria2009,

Don't worry too much about sending too much evidence, if something is missing or they want more they will just send you an RFE and then you send more. I got my case approved after getting divorce and it took exactly 13 months, so when my NOA expired I got my passport stamped and a month later my case was approved. I did not have a lawyer....I did it all by myself (including divorce).

Good luck,

Jaffy

Married: October 24, 2005

AOS/EAD:

03/08/2006: Sent in the mail.

03/18/2006: NOA1

03/24/2006: Received appoitment for Biometrics

04/09/2006: Went for Biometrics.

05/08/2006: Received letter with appointment for interview.

05/30/2006: Received EAD card (finally could work).

06/18/2006: Interview and passport stamped APPROVED!

End of June: Received Green Card.

05/20/2007: Divorced!!!!!!! but in a lot of debt.

Removal of conditional

05/12/2008: Sent I-751.

05/14/2008: Received at the VSC.

06/05/2008: Check cashed.

06/11/2008: Received NOA1. Extension for a year.

06/17/2008: Received letter for Biometrics for 7/1/08.

07/10/2009: Received email: Case Status: Card Production Ordered

Two more years for citizenship!

Application for Naturalization

04/05/2011: Sent N-400

04/20/2011: Received NOA

04/22/2011: Received appoinment for fingerprints

05/16/2011: Fingerprints done, studying for test

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
Hello all, I wanted to post my interview experience from this morning in case it will help others and also get your opinions on this.

My interview was scheduled or 8:15 am, and I arrived at the local immigration officer aroung 7:50 am. There was a short line, and after about 10minutes of waiting I was called in by a middle aged femal interviewer. She started by introducing herself and asking me to drop all of my stuff (purse) and raise my right hand. Then she did the "I swear to tell the truth and whole truth..." and I said "I do" and then had a seat. She asked for ID, passport and green card. I pulled out an expired id first and then the updated one, she said she wanted them both. Also noticed that the address on my petition and id was not the same so she asked. And I explained to her that I had informed them of the address change online but then they did not make that change and so I just recently sent the AR-11. She gave me a handout explaining that there is 2 steps to changing addresses, online and physical form.

Part I: she asked me pretty much all of the questions on my application/petition one by one. For example my birthday, my ex-husband's name,...so on. And then asked me to verify that, at the bottom of my application was my signature. I answered everything correctly except my birthday- which is stupid, I confused month and date, we both laughed and I corrected that.

Part II: She asked me if I have any more evidence for her apart form what I submitted, and i gave two letters from our bank when we had a joint checking account. One verified address change and other one was something else I cant remember...she took them. I also told her I got more pictures, which she kept. And she went through the pictures and asked few questions, like, was this your wedding, was this during your wedding...

Part III: she asked me where we met, why we got married when he propsed (the date), when we got married, if I had any evidence from our pre-marraige relationship, and why we divorced including the dates of when we separated and such. I dont know how bad this is bad I could not remember the exact date of when I got proposed too, so she asked me to give her an approximate one. But I was able to remember important dates like the wedding date and such...She asked if I told my family about the wedding, and asked how they reacted to my wedding news, and if we visited my home country with my then husband.

Part IV: She said that I got married a few weeks before my student visa status was running out, and I got divorced a few months after I received the green card. So, did you get married for immigration reasons? I told her no, and that once I had said "yes' to his proposal it was important that we had to proceed with immigration business before I run out of the student status. us getting married meant being togther and part of that was to make sure that I was legal here...I probably used the different words.

Part V: She said she was going to make copies of my ID, green card, and passport and I should wait for her in the room. Then she came back and gave them to me. She said that I should always keep updating USCIS with my new address everytime I change addresses. Also, she said she will review my file later and make a decision. She smiled and said I will walk you out.

The interview lasted abotut 20-30 minutes.

I didnt see her get into a bad mood or anything, but I'm really confused to how this went since she asked me straight out that "did I get married for immigration reasons?" and she didnt make the decision today.

What do you guys think?

Thank you!

hey friend dont worry u will be fine . here r more complicated cases around and they r approved , so dont worry and keep focusing on the Lord u will be get soon great news of being approved . this country has great laws . u have always some chance to go for . when did u apply for 751?

i applied in april and biometerics r done now waiting for next step.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.