Lady Bug

Birth certificate verification to be able to get drivers license card?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi everyone. I passed my behind the wheel driving test already 5 weeks ago. And waited patiently for my drivers license card to come in the mail. It usually takes a couple of weeks. But nothing happened. So I went to DMV the other day and they told me there that USCIS is holding it back because they have to verify my birth certificate first before they can release it. And that this can take up to 1 year!!! Is this really true?

What experiences did you make guys... Because this sounds kind of odd to me. I got my 2year Greencard and everything.

That doesn't seem right. I assume, because your profile mentions Sacramento, that you're dealing with the California DMV for the drivers' license (each state has their own rules about these sorts of things).

In our case, an approval notice was enough to get a drivers license, without even showing the Green Card itself (the green card arrived about a week after we got the license). I'm sure the DMV never saw the Venezuelan birth certificate. The USCIS only saw a photocopy of the birth certificate. A DoS consular officer saw the actual birth certificate for a few seconds to verify the seal, and kept a photocopy. I don't believe any US government official ever contacted the office where the Venezuelan birth certificate was recorded to directly verify the legitimacy of the birth record.

The California DMV was insistent that the name used on the drivers license match exactly the name in the social security database, but that was the only unusual wrinkle we encountered.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

Note that a "Permanent Resident Card" is accepted as proof of birth date and legal presence. "Permanent Resident Card" is another name for "Green Card".

If the USCIS still had questions about your birth certificate, they shouldn't have issued you a green card. Since they've issued you a green card, they're obviously satisfied that you're OK to live and work here.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Go in and ask for a supervisor, if USCIS had a problem like stated they would not have issued you your GC.

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks for your quick answers guys. It helped me alot and I decided to call DMV again. I just got off the phone with the DMV legal presence department. And they told me that it takes about 3 months after the applicant entered the DMV field office the first time (for the written test or whatever) for them to verify the birth certificate from the foreign country. Even though it was a translated version. Oh well. It's not quite 3 months yet. So it'll take about 2 more weeks....till I can call again in order to find out when my DL card will be in the mail. Or if they need more copies of the papers.

As you guys said it doesn't have anything to do with USCIS.

Good thing that we''ve learned to be patient, huh :D

Filed: Other Timeline

If one were to search for the dumbest people in the United States, chances are some of them work for the DMV. What they told you is a sack full of hogwash. Time to do your homework, go back to the DMV, ask to see the head Indian, and kick some butt. Respectfully, of course.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Why in the heck do they need to verify Birth Certificate ?

If you show foreign government passport, and US immigration paperwork such as Green Card, don't they have enough verification ?

Usually passport identification page have DOB, name, and nationality with nice photo.

For native-born US citizen, they use birth certificate for verification if they don't have US passport or others.

But it seems weird to ask for birth certificate for foreign nationality. :innocent:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

#######, it's not the DMV's business to verify your birth certificate at all. They are out of line.

The Federal government (USCIS) has already conducted all kinds of background checks about you, and, once satisfied that you are you, issued you a permanent resident card as proof of your identity and legal presence. THAT, a SSN card and your foreign passport is all they need to see. Just go to a different office.

Edited by Kar98

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.