moveus

refused entry as a child

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Dear All

This is a fantastic source of information and a great place to share the knowledge that is needed.

I will try to keep my situation short and sweet.

I am a UK citizen, living in the UK, in a relationship with a US citizen. Have been together for 2 year. He is in the military and currently in Iraq, but soon to end his deployment and return to his US base. We plan to start the process early next year of getting me to the US so we can be permanently together. I vaguely understand the options we have, and I guess we need to make the decision of where and when to marry and then that will determine the process we need to take to make it possible for me to live in the US permanently.

My initial fear however is that back in the 1980's, when I was 15 I travelled to Canada to visit friends of the family. We travelled to Niagra Falls and - a well meaning adult - decided it was a good idea to take us over the bridge to the US. At that time a UK citizen needed a visa to enter the US, and I did not have one. As soon as I got across the bridge I vaugely remember being taken into an office and then having ' illegal alien' stamped over my passport. All very entertaining and insignificant as a 15yr old, but I wonder now if it will have consequences.

I have travelled to the US many many times since and when asked the question 'have you ever been refused entry to the US' - I always tick the 'no' box. I have never had any issues.

However now I will be starting this process - it could be said I have lied on a federal document and I am not sure what the repercussions of this will be and if it will hinder and halt my plans. My saving grace might be that I was legally a child when I was refused entry and - 'what do I know what happened and what I remember, right???

Or am I worrying about nothing?

Anyone who has any advice or can put me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

R

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is a part on the DS-230 that asks if you were ever refused entry in the US - I HIGHLY suggest you answer that part honestly and say yes. As for what happened in the past, if they ever ask you about it during this process you need to answer honestly. I am not sure if it is a big deal or not - perhaps one with more experience will pipe up and answer.

Being refused entry has no impact on your immigrant visa applicaiton (I was denied twice) - lying on these documents is a big deal.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline
There is a part on the DS-230 that asks if you were ever refused entry in the US - I HIGHLY suggest you answer that part honestly and say yes. As for what happened in the past, if they ever ask you about it during this process you need to answer honestly. I am not sure if it is a big deal or not - perhaps one with more experience will pipe up and answer.

Being refused entry has no impact on your immigrant visa applicaiton (I was denied twice) - lying on these documents is a big deal.

Good luck.

Thank you for the response. I think I need to look into this legally so I can be sure I don't do something now to jepodize my plans also as I will be travelling to the US in a few months.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Timeline

Good luck.

Thank you for the response. I think I need to look into this legally so I can be sure I don't do something now to jepodize my plans also as I will be travelling to the US in a few months.

Just checking but the form I had always completed on entering the US was infact an I-94W.

Timeline

Good luck.

Just checking but the form I had always completed on entering the US was infact an I-94W.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Any trips to the US in the future you should answer honestly. Tick the "yes" box from now on.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Good luck.

Lying (misrepresentation) will jeopardize your plans. No need to be a lawyer or look up the law on that.

If your in the system as being denied entry, even as a 15 year old, and you apply for a visa and state "Nope - never denied", then sign it "I certify, under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America, that the foregoing is true and correct.", and they discover this denial (they dig a bit deeper than the CBP), you just misrerpresented yourself.

Which is not a good place to be...

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
Dear All

This is a fantastic source of information and a great place to share the knowledge that is needed.

I am a UK citizen, living in the UK, in a relationship with a US citizen. Have been together for 2 year. He is in the military and currently in Iraq, but soon to end his deployment and return to his US base. We plan to start the process early next year of getting me to the US so we can be permanently together. I vaguely understand the options we have, and I guess we need to make the decision of where and when to marry and then that will determine the process we need to take to make it possible for me to live in the US permanently.

My initial fear however is that back in the 1980's, when I was 15 I travelled to Canada to visit friends of the family. We travelled to Niagra Falls and - a well meaning adult - decided it was a good idea to take us over the bridge to the US. At that time a UK citizen needed a visa to enter the US, and I did not have one. As soon as I got across the bridge I vaugely remember being taken into an office and then having ' illegal alien' stamped over my passport. All very entertaining and insignificant as a 15yr old, but I wonder now if it will have consequences.

I have travelled to the US many many times since and when asked the question 'have you ever been refused entry to the US' - I always tick the 'no' box. I have never had any issues.

However now I will be starting this process - it could be said I have lied on a federal document and I am not sure what the repercussions of this will be and if it will hinder and halt my plans. My saving grace might be that I was legally a child when I was refused entry and - 'what do I know what happened and what I remember, right???

Anyone who has any advice or can put me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

R

Get a good lawyer to advise with and make sure you no longer lie in your applications from now on.

New Citizen of the United States and Proud of it!

Timeline
Dear All

Thank you in advance.

R

Get a good lawyer to advise with and make sure you no longer lie in your applications from now on.

Thank you all for your advice. Is there a site or forum where I may be able to find a recommended lawyer? I am in London. Is it easier to start a new thread with that request.? New to here so appreciate your advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.