Silvershadow22

I need help!!N400 interview

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

th.Hello all,

This is me silvershadow212 for some reason I couldn't connect to the site because I forgot my password. So i had to register again.

Anyway, i had my N400 interview last Monday it was at 08:00 am. The IO was nice so I thought I'm going to have a great day. She asked me 6 questions which I answered all correctly, then she went through my application then she made me sign 2 photos and the bottom part of N400 application. She asked for Selective service proof which I handed it to her, then she asked me for my bill of complaint for my divorce. BTW, I applied based on 5 years of continous residency. I didn't know that I needed the bill of complaint I only brought my divorce decree. Then she asked for my ex wife previous divorce decree!!! and her birth certficate!!!! She said she couldn't find them in my file!!! She said maybe the officer who did our 1st interview back in 2000 forgot to make a copy of my ex wife previous divorce decree (she was married before). She gave me the white paper saying I passed the civic gvmt history test, but a decision cannot be made yet!! So now they're asking me to provide them with her birth certificate along with her previous divorce decree. I don't have any contacts with my ex wife I haven't seen her since 2004. Today, they just sent me a letter asking me to provide those 2 documents otherwise they will deny my applaication and I have until august 19th. I'm so frustrated right now as I got very depressed. I mean we provided all those documents when we first applied for my green card!! Why are they asking me for them if it was their fault and lost them. Can anybody help how can I get my ex wife divorce decree from her previous marriage?? also, how can I obtain her birth certificate?? I have no contacts with her anymore, I don't know her whereabouts!! Please help me.

Thanks,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hopefully you can remember which court house your divorce took place, go there and get a copy, part of public records. But not even sure why you are being asked for it with the five year, just learned not to argue with the USCIS, just give them what they want.

They want her divorce papers from a prior marriage?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You can't get her prior divorce cert or birth cert, due to privacy laws.

Did you not keep copies of everything ever submitted to the USCIS? I certainly have a copy of EVERYTHING, so coming up with that information would be very simple for me.

If you have copies, then send them copies of your copies.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Timeline
Hopefully you can remember which court house your divorce took place, go there and get a copy, part of public records. But not even sure why you are being asked for it with the five year, just learned not to argue with the USCIS, just give them what they want.

They want her divorce papers from a prior marriage?

Yes, they're asking me for her prior divorce decree which I don't have. They're asking me for her birth certificate too. I was not arguing with them I'm just trying to find a way to get these documents for them so I can be done with them. We gave them all these doc. when we first applied for GC. They lost them now so why is it my problem if I can't find my ex wife or if she doesn't wanna cooperate. I remember which court we got married in but not sure if they can give me a copy of her prior divorce decree since I'm not part of it. This is causing me big depression :crying:

You can't get her prior divorce cert or birth cert, due to privacy laws.

Did you not keep copies of everything ever submitted to the USCIS? I certainly have a copy of EVERYTHING, so coming up with that information would be very simple for me.

If you have copies, then send them copies of your copies.

No I didn't copy all those documents because it was since 2000 and I never thought I'd need her prior divorce decree and her birth certificate. I didn't even think we were gonna get divorced one day.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

The only way that you'll be able to get the birth certificate is to contact her and ask her for it, which is unfortunate, however- I believe you should be able to get her previous divorce decrees and your current one through the courthouse(s) where the divorces took place, since they should be public knowledge. You may need to know her last names from the previous marriages for them to be able to find the files. You will want them to certify them as official copies- which usually costs $1-$2 per copy.

Otherwise- I would say hire an attorney to help, they have more resources, and the USCIS takes them a little more seriously than individual filers. They would also know how to explain to the USCIS that these requests are not applicable since you are applying based on 5 years of residency alone, not 3 with a spouse.

I wish you good luck brother- I hope this helps.

N-400

Sent March 18, 2009

Rec'd at AZ lockbox March 19, 2009 signed by Morihsey (sp?)

NOA sent to us March 26, 2009

Check cashed March 27, 2009 (showed in bank March 30, 2009)

NOA Rec'd on March 30, 2009

FP Letter rec'd April 6, 2009

Biometrics Appt April 18, 2009

Interview letter received April/29/09

Interview appt june/05/09 passed

Oath 08/07/09

Submit passport Application 8/7/2009

Passport received 8/14/2009

MOTHER'S IR5

I-130 Petition Mailed 03/09/2011

Check cashed 03/16/2011

NOA1 Received 03/18/2011

NOA2 Received 06/19/2011

NVC Assigned case number 07/08/2011

DS3032 Emailed 07/08/2011

AOS Fee paid online 07/11/2011

AOS fee showed paid, AOS packet mailed 07/13/2011

DS-3032 receipt confirmed by NVC through email 07/13/2011

AOS packet delivered, signed for by N Visa 07/14/2011

IV Fee bill generated- Available online 07/21/2011

IV Fee Bill Paid online 07/21/2011

Where was your wife born, which state? Not sure how it works in other states but have you tried contacting the Vital Records of the state and county where she was born? I suggest you do that and see if they can help you. Make sure you mention that USCIS is requesting this, and if possible, you can fax them the letter USCIS sent you, with a cover letter, or bring it in person. You might want to do this right away since getting a copy of a BC takes time.

In the State of California, authorized copies of vital records can only be obtained by the individual named on the record, parents of the individual named on the record, and certain other individuals or entities specified in law. But If you cannot obtain an authorized copy under California law, you can obtain an informational copy. An informational copy contains the same information as an authorized copy, but will have a legend across the face with the statement "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY." Authorized and informational copies are both “certified copies.”

And I agree with another poster, lawyer up if you run out of options.

Edited by ~krakatoa~

Timeline
The only way that you'll be able to get the birth certificate is to contact her and ask her for it, which is unfortunate, however- I believe you should be able to get her previous divorce decrees and your current one through the courthouse(s) where the divorces took place, since they should be public knowledge. You may need to know her last names from the previous marriages for them to be able to find the files. You will want them to certify them as official copies- which usually costs $1-$2 per copy.

Otherwise- I would say hire an attorney to help, they have more resources, and the USCIS takes them a little more seriously than individual filers. They would also know how to explain to the USCIS that these requests are not applicable since you are applying based on 5 years of residency alone, not 3 with a spouse.

I wish you good luck brother- I hope this helps.

I went to court to see if they kept a copy of her previous divorce decree from her first husband but the clerk told me they don't keep copies of previous divorces another thing might be a problem, her divorce took place in Mexico not in the US. I remember we gave them all these documents when we applied for green card but now they're saying they can't find them in my file. I will see if I can get a hold of her even though I know she won't give me any paper just to get me in trouble. My ex wife was born in Texas but her 1st husband was from Mexico.

Thanks for your reply.

Where was your wife born, which state? Not sure how it works in other states but have you tried contacting the Vital Records of the state and county where she was born? I suggest you do that and see if they can help you. Make sure you mention that USCIS is requesting this, and if possible, you can fax them the letter USCIS sent you, with a cover letter, or bring it in person. You might want to do this right away since getting a copy of a BC takes time.

In the State of California, authorized copies of vital records can only be obtained by the individual named on the record, parents of the individual named on the record, and certain other individuals or entities specified in law. But If you cannot obtain an authorized copy under California law, you can obtain an informational copy. An informational copy contains the same information as an authorized copy, but will have a legend across the face with the statement "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY." Authorized and informational copies are both “certified copies.”

And I agree with another poster, lawyer up if you run out of options.

My ex wife was born in Texas. I will call them to see if they can help me.

Thanks,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.