Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Which name to use in documents after marriage in the US

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Country: Canada


I'm from Canada and came to the US with a TN visa and worked for a few years.

I met my boyfriend and we decided to start a family ( yes, it was before marriage ).

While on maternity leave, my TN visa expired while I was in the US. Although, from what I understand the TN is no longer valid when you stop working, so it didn't matter for us.

Now we are married and we are planning on filing for the Adjustment of status I-485 and I-130.

In my marriage certificate, I changed my last name to my husband's.

I haven't started the process or filed the AOS and wanted to know which name should I use in all my forms ?

My maiden name or my married name ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam

Use your legal name, which you indicate is your married name.

After reading through the Guides and Example Forms here on VJ you will see where there are places to list any other names used. This is where you would list your maiden name.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318


PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...