carvin317

fiancee us coming for a visit

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I understand she is going to need documents proving ties. I plan on sending her out NOA1 and an entire copy of our application i sent in. She works as a contractor for a housing company. Her boss said he would write her a letter and use his company stamp and sign the document saying she works for him. Will that be sufficient?

I also told her to bring cell phone bills in her name

Credit card bills in her name

and bank statements showing she has money in canada ?

What else any suggestions ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
I understand she is going to need documents proving ties. I plan on sending her out NOA1 and an entire copy of our application i sent in. She works as a contractor for a housing company. Her boss said he would write her a letter and use his company stamp and sign the document saying she works for him. Will that be sufficient?

I also told her to bring cell phone bills in her name

Credit card bills in her name

and bank statements showing she has money in canada ?

What else any suggestions ?

From Canada? I didn't think most people had a problem entering the US from Canada.. I know some people bring these kinds of things...

mojito.gif

Mojitos for ALL

DEFINATLY tell her to bring her NOA1 at least. A letter from her employer is good too. That's all I ever brought and it was sufficient. They've actually never asked for my letter from my employer but it's good to be prepared.

But proving that you are doing the process the legal way will speed up getting through the border.

Also, come hang out in the Canada forums. Lots of good advice and people there!

Edited by Peachey

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

It helps a ton if she also has an exact date (and reason) for when she plans to return to Canada. For instance, when they ask "How long will you be in the US?" she answers "I will be here until August 15, I am returning to work on the 16th." Or, a round trip airplane ticket is even better to prove that she will be returning.

Don't worry, as long as she's telling the truth, she'll be fine. Honesty and eye contact generally work very well at the border.

04-23-2008: Met on vacation in Egypt (yes, a Canadian and an American met in Egypt!)

03-21-2009: Engaged :) :) :)

K1 Petition (Apr 14 09 thru Dec 30, 09 - PROCESS COMPLETE)

04-14-2009: I-129F Sent to VSC

04-20-2009: NOA1

08-21-2009: NOA2!!!

09-01-2009: NVC received petition

09-04-2009: Montreal received petition

09-23-2009: Packet 3 arrived in mail

09-28-2009: Packet 3 returned via overnight mail

09-29-2009: Packet 3 received at Montreal

10-22-2009: Packet 4 received

11-09-2009: Medical exam at Medisys in Montreal

11-13-2009: Interview - Approved!!!!!

11-17-2009: 3pm - Pick up visa at consulate

11-17-2009: 5pm - Entry at Champlain POE via auto

12-30-2009: Wedding!

AOS (Jan 14 09 thru TBD)

01-14-2010: I-485 sent to Chicago lockbox (with EAD and AP filings)

01-25-2010: NOA

02-10-2010: Case transferred to CSC!

02-15-2010: Biometrics in Elizabeth, NJ

03-12-2010: RFE - argh!

03-18-2010: E-mail saying EAD and AP approved!

03-19-2010: RFE received - Medical Exam has been lost - new one needed

03-20-2010: Contacted Congressman

04-19-2010: Give up the fight, Congressman can't help, got a new physical done

04-22-2010: Surprise, surprise! Passes physical. RFE returned via overnight mail.

04-29-2010: Approval e-mail!

05-07-2010: Permanent Resident Card received! DONE! :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We had big problems with this and my hubby is from Canada. It's no easier than any other country as far as visitation goes. In fact, my hubby was denied entry twice and was unable to visit me throughout our k-1 wait (I had to go there, otherwise we'd have not seen each other for an entire year).

Your best evidences are going to be the employer letter, utility bills, landline phone bills (cell phone bills weren't solid enough proof of strong ties in our experience), proof of home ownership (if she has a home) or not as good, but better than nothing...rental agreement, the bank statement(s) will be good.

In our experience, my hubby only had a couple of the above and it wasn't enough for them. It seemed that the employer letter, home ownership and bank statements would have been better proof of strong ties (which he didn't have). Other than lack of these things, he had no reason to be denied entry.

Denials are rare, so she'll probably be fine. I just like to add my 2 cents to warn people to be overprepared. I wish we had been.

good luck!

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

We had big problems with this and my hubby is from Canada. It's no easier than any other country as far as visitation goes. In fact, my hubby was denied entry twice and was unable to visit me throughout our k-1 wait (I had to go there, otherwise we'd have not seen each other for an entire year).

Do you have any idea why he was denied? Was there anything unusual about his entry? Was he being honest? My fiancee is coming to visit me tomorrow (for the first time via air from Ottawa - we've driven every other time) and now you're making me nervous :)

04-23-2008: Met on vacation in Egypt (yes, a Canadian and an American met in Egypt!)

03-21-2009: Engaged :) :) :)

K1 Petition (Apr 14 09 thru Dec 30, 09 - PROCESS COMPLETE)

04-14-2009: I-129F Sent to VSC

04-20-2009: NOA1

08-21-2009: NOA2!!!

09-01-2009: NVC received petition

09-04-2009: Montreal received petition

09-23-2009: Packet 3 arrived in mail

09-28-2009: Packet 3 returned via overnight mail

09-29-2009: Packet 3 received at Montreal

10-22-2009: Packet 4 received

11-09-2009: Medical exam at Medisys in Montreal

11-13-2009: Interview - Approved!!!!!

11-17-2009: 3pm - Pick up visa at consulate

11-17-2009: 5pm - Entry at Champlain POE via auto

12-30-2009: Wedding!

AOS (Jan 14 09 thru TBD)

01-14-2010: I-485 sent to Chicago lockbox (with EAD and AP filings)

01-25-2010: NOA

02-10-2010: Case transferred to CSC!

02-15-2010: Biometrics in Elizabeth, NJ

03-12-2010: RFE - argh!

03-18-2010: E-mail saying EAD and AP approved!

03-19-2010: RFE received - Medical Exam has been lost - new one needed

03-20-2010: Contacted Congressman

04-19-2010: Give up the fight, Congressman can't help, got a new physical done

04-22-2010: Surprise, surprise! Passes physical. RFE returned via overnight mail.

04-29-2010: Approval e-mail!

05-07-2010: Permanent Resident Card received! DONE! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your best evidences are going to be the employer letter, utility bills, landline phone bills (cell phone bills weren't solid enough proof of strong ties in our experience), proof of home ownership (if she has a home) or not as good, but better than nothing...rental agreement, the bank statement(s) will be good.

In our experience, my hubby only had a couple of the above and it wasn't enough for them. It seemed that the employer letter, home ownership and bank statements would have been better proof of strong ties (which he didn't have). Other than lack of these things, he had no reason to be denied entry.

Denials are rare, so she'll probably be fine. I just like to add my 2 cents to warn people to be overprepared. I wish we had been.

good luck!

Yep..same here. I was denied entry twice from canada to the usa. they are real sticklers for "ties to canada" even if you are applying for K1.

As others have said bring the Noa, letters from job that she is goign back and a return ticket. And a lease if she has it. I was asked for other paperwork as well but to no avail. Just tell the truth and remember they can refuse you.

Good Luck!

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I used to drive across the border to the airport to fly down and visit my now husband. I was sent into secondary twice. I carried my packet of information that included proof of employment, ongoing financial responsibilities (hydro bills, phone bills, vet bills, etc.), copy of my insurance for the apartment (I had no lease) and the car, copy of health insurance submissions that I was waiting for reimbursement, copies of bank statements, copy of my most recent income tax, and a full copy of the I-129f submission plus the NOAs. I always had my flight itinerary and return ticket information as well. In each case when they got to the I-129f submission, they looked it over carefully, then closed up the file, handed everything back to me and allowed me to continue on my way. So, yes, carrying proof that you have initiated the proper process for immigrating goes a long way to reassuring the border authorities. The more she has to prove her ties to Canada the easier it will be for them to allow her to enter. Good luck - and enjoy your visit.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

I'm not from Canada, but from Croatia (which is nowhere as close, or that similar) and the reason I wasn't allowed to enter the US was the fact we had a K1 pending at the time. They had it in the system and they nicely told us to just wait it out.

Of course, it's worked for many other couples, from many other places in the world, including Canada.

You can never know, when it comes to these things.

Good luck!

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.