Sign in to follow this  
Mike B.

Do I need a co-sponsor?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Here's my situation:

For most of 2008, obviously the last year for which I filed taxes, I was unemployed. In August I found a job, and my taxable income for 2008 was $18,694, which just barely hits 125% of the poverty level for a family of two.

The reason that I earned so little isn't that my salary is terribly low, but rather that I didn't start until eight months into the year. I still have the same job and assuming that I don't get fired in the next five months I will make over $10,000 more than I need to in order to satisfy the 125% rule. In fact, by the time I get my NOA2 I will certainly have already made over 125% of the poverty level in 2009.

I'm not sure if I need a co-sponsor. On one hand, I make considerably more than I need to. On the other, my taxes don't reflect that due to the drastic change in my employment situation. Do I need a co-sponsor? If not, how can I prove that I am currently on track to make much more than I did last year? I know I can get a letter from my employer, but I'd like something more official. Would my tax transcripts show how much I have been making each month in 2009, or do they only show my most recent filings?

Thanks for your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Here's my situation:

For most of 2008, obviously the last year for which I filed taxes, I was unemployed. In August I found a job, and my taxable income for 2008 was $18,694, which just barely hits 125% of the poverty level for a family of two.

The reason that I earned so little isn't that my salary is terribly low, but rather that I didn't start until eight months into the year. I still have the same job and assuming that I don't get fired in the next five months I will make over $10,000 more than I need to in order to satisfy the 125% rule. In fact, by the time I get my NOA2 I will certainly have already made over 125% of the poverty level in 2009.

I'm not sure if I need a co-sponsor. On one hand, I make considerably more than I need to. On the other, my taxes don't reflect that due to the drastic change in my employment situation. Do I need a co-sponsor? If not, how can I prove that I am currently on track to make much more than I did last year? I know I can get a letter from my employer, but I'd like something more official. Would my tax transcripts show how much I have been making each month in 2009, or do they only show my most recent filings?

Thanks for your help.

Your tax transcripts right now will only show your 2008 filing, if you dont need the info until after the next filing you might be ok. I'm not sure how sticky Peru is on tax transcripts. I would definately suggest a letter from your employer as well, with them stating you started in August and this is how much you make etc etc. Between that and the G-325a that you file with the I-129F, they would see that you were unemployed prior to that date. If your situation was better in 2007, I would get a transcript for that too, that way it shows you did make good money, were unemployed for a period but now are making good money again. Combined with your employment letter and paystubs I don't think you should have a problem, but it is always their decision to ask for a co-sponsor at the interview if they feel that you didn't quite make the guidelines.

One thing to keep in mind that may help as well is that the I-134 isnt binding so even they say if you need a co-sponsor now, depending on when the whole process is over and when you file AOS, you may not need a co-sponsor. The I-864 is the binding sponsorship one, the I-134 just shows the consulate that you make enough or have someone who can help sponsor at time of AOS, so if for any chance the process takes you to next years filing dates, you may be able to do it on your own. Theres a form called the I-864EZ which is able to be filed with AOS that is based soley on your W2 income for that year, so that may be an option to you.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

You are EXACTLY in the same boat as us. Leo started in August last year as well, as such his latest tax return doesn't show his full annual income, which meets 125% poverty guidelines. We're going to be supplying at least 3 months of latest pay stubs, letter from employer and perhaps a bank statement so they can see regular income coming in and what amounts per pay check.

But we also are getting a co-sponsor just in case they are not happy with the tax return. When all is said and done, what is needed is entirely up to the consulate and it's better to be prepared then to be delayed a few months getting the paperwork needed ready. There's the tax transcripts a co-sponsor needs to get which takes minimum 2 weeks from IRS, gathering the co-sponsor's paperwork (duplicate copies of financial evidence + citizenship proof), the mailing time involved between the co-sponsor, USC and beneficiary. All in all, it will take some time. SO rather than go to the interview, they ask for a co-sponsor, go back home, gather paperwork, a month or so has passed and you wish you had come with Plan B earlier.

Our embassy is a 2 1/2 hour plane ride away, so rather than go there only to be forced to fly back with a letter saying they need a co-sponsor because they're not convinced due to tax return, we want to make sure we have everything that is needed on the spot. If they aren't happy, whip out the co-sponsor.

I don't know what the tax transcript reflects. We ordered ours a month ago and it still hasn't arrived.

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
You are EXACTLY in the same boat as us. Leo started in August last year as well, as such his latest tax return doesn't show his full annual income, which meets 125% poverty guidelines. We're going to be supplying at least 3 months of latest pay stubs, letter from employer and perhaps a bank statement so they can see regular income coming in and what amounts per pay check.

But we also are getting a co-sponsor just in case they are not happy with the tax return. When all is said and done, what is needed is entirely up to the consulate and it's better to be prepared then to be delayed a few months getting the paperwork needed ready. There's the tax transcripts a co-sponsor needs to get which takes minimum 2 weeks from IRS, gathering the co-sponsor's paperwork (duplicate copies of financial evidence + citizenship proof), the mailing time involved between the co-sponsor, USC and beneficiary. All in all, it will take some time. SO rather than go to the interview, they ask for a co-sponsor, go back home, gather paperwork, a month or so has passed and you wish you had come with Plan B earlier.

Our embassy is a 2 1/2 hour plane ride away, so rather than go there only to be forced to fly back with a letter saying they need a co-sponsor because they're not convinced due to tax return, we want to make sure we have everything that is needed on the spot. If they aren't happy, whip out the co-sponsor.

I don't know what the tax transcript reflects. We ordered ours a month ago and it still hasn't arrived.

Thats a great plan, that way you have it if you need it, and if not than you are still good :D

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Although I am not sure WHEN exactly the I-134 is sent: If it is asked for at the actual interview or sent back in packet 3 before the interview. We were planning if it is the former, to bring the co-sponsor and whip it out then. But if it is the latter, well then we will be forced to include both at the same time I suppose.

Anyway, I've asked a lot of questions regarding the I-134, so if the OP needs a hand and since we're in the same crappy situation, there might be specific answers in the threads I started.

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

:)

I would reorder the tax transcripts because I ordered mine on 2 different occasions and it never took more than 10 days. Just in case :yes:

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Here's my situation:

Thanks for your help.

Hey I went through something similar. I was in college for 2 of the 3 tax transcript years so I only made like 20,000 a year and required for me was 26,500. However, I did have an employer letter stating my current salary (which is over the poverty level) when we went to the interview in Peru. I also brought 3 months worth of paystubs. Everything went well, I didn't have a co-sponsor. Same with AOS, I had no problem. As long as you're making the money now you should be okay.

Best of luck! And if you need any Peru-related help with the K-1 feel free to message me!

Suz

Although I am not sure WHEN exactly the I-134 is sent: If it is asked for at the actual interview or sent back in packet 3 before the interview. We were planning if it is the former, to bring the co-sponsor and whip it out then. But if it is the latter, well then we will be forced to include both at the same time I suppose.

Anyway, I've asked a lot of questions regarding the I-134, so if the OP needs a hand and since we're in the same crappy situation, there might be specific answers in the threads I started.

In Peru they took it at the actual interview. It may depend on the embassy though, and you could find out by checking the regional forum for your country.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.