luv2teach77

British Words Not Often Used In The USA

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
fanny pack

pouch-like bag that ties or snaps around the wearer's waist (UK: bum bag). See also fanny in List of words having different meanings in British and American English and note fanny is vulgar in UK.

OMG this had me in stitches!!! LOL

I remember trying to explain to Debs what a fanny fart was !!... Until I explained what a fanny was back in the UK she didn't understand why I didn't just call it a fart !!

I think both thise lists are pretty funny but that the list of British words is funnier than the american version.

I'm glad that people are finding the lists as amusing as me :D

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

I've watched Snatch countless times, and that's really helped my English/English translation skills. That, and almost all foreigners that I've met that speak English tend to use words from "the Queen's English" mixed in with words from Hollywood.

I'm still waiting on the Pikey/English/English translation guide. (If you put on the subtitiles, sometimes even the subtitles say "he wants to get a caravan.... ????..... ????...."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

These are pretty good, but there's one that I deal with all the time that didn't make the cut.

People here in the US think my British hubby can't tell time.

When someone tells him it's "quarter of" or "ten of", he looks at me and says "Is that the same as quarter to or quarter past?

I don't think he'll ever get his head around it.

Happy

Jayke

Ahahahahaha!

That's great!

Once, when we were having a conversation while out for dinner, he stopped in the middle of it and said "you would think we both spoke the same language." becuase we were just having so much trouble understanding each other at that point due to the differences in American vs British english. It doesn't make it any easier that he sometimes uses rhyming slang, or that sometimes I'll use regional sayings from back home that don't make it into the movies or imported TV shows.

Edited by luvaLimey

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The list is great. I'm going to print it out and carry it around with me I think.

Susie and I were listening to radio 1 last week on Sirius radio when an advert came on for "Diggerland". I tried to explain that a digger is a front-and-back shoveler, or a JCB or a...................

totally lost her.

Jan 10th 2005, I-129F sent to NSC

Jan 13th 2005, NOA1.

Mar 14th 2005, NOA2

Mar 29th 2005, Case # received

Apr 15th 2005, Packet 3 arrived from London Embassy

Apr 19th 2005, Packet 3 returned to London Embassy

May 10th 2005, Packet 4 arrived from London Embassy

June 10th 2005, Interview at London Embassy - Approved

June 13th 2005, Visa issued via courier

June 24th 2005, Moved to Ohio

July 19th 2005, Wedding day.

AOS

Nov 13th 2005, AOS paperwork sent.

Dec 15th 2005, Fingerprints taken in Cleveland

Mar 3rd 2006, AOS interview in Cleveland. Approved pending results of security check.

Nov 20th 2006, "Welcome to America" letter received.

Nov 29th 2006, Green Card received.

EAD

March 4th 2006. Applied for EAD Subsequently denied due to my application code error.

June 2006. Re-applied.

June 22nd 2006. Biometrics taken in Cleveland.

August 19th 2006. Received EAD card.

August 2009. Applied for citizenship.

December 2009. Passed citizenship test in Cleveland.

Jan 15th 2010. Swore-in as a new US Citizen.

Visa Journey completed.

Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Has anyone noticed how ironic it is that whilst US TV networks are so prissy when it comes to censoring bad language from their programming, but they will still broadcast British slang terms.

If anyone saw the last season of The Apprentice - the British guy (who went on to win) got away with not only saying "bollocks" on air but calling another contestant a "wanker".

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
I've watched Snatch countless times, and that's really helped my English/English translation skills. That, and almost all foreigners that I've met that speak English tend to use words from "the Queen's English" mixed in with words from Hollywood.

I'm still waiting on the Pikey/English/English translation guide. (If you put on the subtitiles, sometimes even the subtitles say "he wants to get a caravan.... ????..... ????...."

...for his ma!

A lot of Irish people can understand most of what Brad Pitt says in that movie, cos we talk pretty fast here, but some of it still makes us go "wha' da hell??"

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Has anyone noticed how ironic it is that whilst US TV networks are so prissy when it comes to censoring bad language from their programming, but they will still broadcast British slang terms.

If anyone saw the last season of The Apprentice - the British guy (who went on to win) got away with not only saying "bollocks" on air but calling another contestant a "wanker".

good point - we need more british censors :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

good point - we need more british censors :P

that happens a lot on American television-they have no idea what some of those terms mean. I think it is funny :P

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

Filed: Other Timeline

and it seems perfectly ok to swear in a foreign language, but not American English. I often wonder what the heck the censors are thinking when they go thru bleeping some stuff and not others. I've seen TV shows where characters go on and on swearing in Italian, or Chinese or or or, and yet an American saying azzhole gets bleeped. :huh:

Edited by Reba

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

#######/cockle

affectionate term used in Northern England, similar to love or darling. "Are you alright, #######?"

Whoa, you British are something else. :blink:

:P

(I'm going to ask my husband tonight, "Are you alright, #######?" Hopefully I'll be looking at his face when I say it) :lol:

Ya have to say it like this............."heyup #######"(silent H) or "heyup mi old cocker" :yes:

My HUbby's favourites are "oi" & "maungy" :P ........he also likes to say.........."bloody adverts AGAIN!!!" :unsure: summat i say alot!!

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009