MapleLeafBaby

Need Help...a little worried 

9 posts in this topic

I just sent in our AOS...when I went to the SSN office a few weeks ago, they said my son (k2) did not qualify for a SSN number... She tried running the application in the system and got an error message from Homeland Security saying he would have to adjust status in order to qualify...

I was ok with this, as he enrolled in school no problem...

Today I found out that our medical carrier, will not add him without an SSN... If I wait for a GC it could be forever and I refuse to have him walk around with no med coverage 

i heard that if i file EAD for him, he could get an SSN, so I filed an EAD with my AOS for him...he's only 5, do u think it will get approved?

I'm desperate as our travel insurance expires next month...

Is there some other sort of insurance I can get? That he can qualify for without an SSN?

Thanks

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

We got a basic policy from Seven Corners to cover my fiance (now wife) until she was able to either be added to my policy or have her own insurnace through a job.

These types of policies only cover emergencies, not day to day routines.

See here for a policy for new immigrants:

http://www.visitorscoverage.com/immigrant/...s.php?pln_id=83

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I just sent in our AOS...when I went to the SSN office a few weeks ago, they said my son (k2) did not qualify for a SSN number... She tried running the application in the system and got an error message from Homeland Security saying he would have to adjust status in order to qualify...

I was ok with this, as he enrolled in school no problem...

Today I found out that our medical carrier, will not add him without an SSN... If I wait for a GC it could be forever and I refuse to have him walk around with no med coverage 

i heard that if i file EAD for him, he could get an SSN, so I filed an EAD with my AOS for him...he's only 5, do u think it will get approved?

I'm desperate as our travel insurance expires next month...

Is there some other sort of insurance I can get? That he can qualify for without an SSN?

Thanks

Can't you renew your travel insurance, or get another similar policy if your insurer does not allow this? Not sure about your policy, but the "travel" insurance I got for my fiancee allows me to renew after the initial period expires without an additional fees (other than the premium). There's tons of emergency/"travel" insurance providers out there to choose from. I found one I am using at http://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/. I chose Atlas, but there are lots of other choices. As you already know, it is pretty important to have catastrophic health insurance at all times, unless you're a gambler. Good luck.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

I advise you to call around some independent insurance offices. there are providers that offer coverage for those without SS #'s.

I think there is one company called Avalon Health

https://www.avalonhealthcare.com/default.aspx

ps - nice hair

Edited by j and c

I advise you to call around some independent insurance offices. there are providers that offer coverage for those without SS #'s.

Yes, there are definitely companies who will offer coverage to any immediate family member of the primary policy holder and only the primary must have an SSN.

I was added to my wife's Blue Cross Blue Shield (GA) policy the day after we married and I became family. If I had any children, they would have been eligible too. Come to think of it, they still don't have my SSN almost a year later (this weekend! :D). I've used the coverage a couple of times for doctor visits and a test or two and had no problems with them paying up.

Unless it's a state law thing that requires insurance companies in your particular state to get an SSN from all covered parties, it may be time to shop around if your son's coverage is important to you (duh! :)) and if they AOS is going to be a while...

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Thanks for the replies guys! :)

we managed to get it sorted out with Blue Cross. They added him, but said any claims is to their descresion for pre existing conditions...whatever! My son (knock on wood) has only visited Dr's for vaccinations and colds...

Insurance is expensive! I come from a Country where it's free healthcare and never gave it a second thought! They wanted $1200 a month for decent coverage!

Thankfully we have MD's in the family, so we don't run to the Dr's for small stuff.

Thanks again for all the help :)

N-400 Citizenship

Insurance is expensive! I come from a Country where it's free healthcare and never gave it a second thought! They wanted $1200 a month for decent coverage!

I hear that! You never truly appreciate the NHS until you don't have access to it any more! :crying:

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

So true! It's such a grey area too... I mean, if we technically don't have status here yet, then am I considered a resident already? Making me not qualify under Canadian Health Care anymore? It's limbo!

And technically 'travel indurance' is not an appropriate coverage, as it is offered with the intent to return to that country. Outbound immigrant insurance would be more appropriate but perhaps overkill.

I'm sure there are several Underwriting depts that would deny our claims if they had the full story on our status etc....

I find that the whole structure is more protective of the companies that offer the coverage rather than the insured.

They say that legally a hospital cannot refuse you care.... But I would hate to be then one in life support to test that theory lol!

Gotta love insurance, the one product purchased that is non tangeable and solicited on the fears of the consumer...ah, gotta love the system!!!

N-400 Citizenship

ps - nice hair

lol! Thanks... It was a good hair day, so I took the opportunity to make it a Kodak moment lol! :)

N-400 Citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.