clueless_in_usa

Changing interview date

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In addition to being together earlier (a great consequence), what are the benefits and/or pitfalls of accepting an offer by the consulate to have the interview earlier.

Should we jump on the opportunity if it is available?

She already has all documents she needs, except for the medical exam and the invitation to the interview (packet 3 has not arrived yet).

Is she allowed to go to the interview without invitation?

Thanks for the advice! Even if we say yes, we were told that it may not happen ... but we must respond soon.

Filed: Timeline
In addition to being together earlier (a great consequence), what are the benefits and/or pitfalls of accepting an offer by the consulate to have the interview earlier.

The benefit are obvious. The only pitfall I can see is in your own personal schedules and/or finances. In general though, the consulate will not move your interview up, so it's probably a moot point.

No.

Thanks for the advice! Even if we say yes, we were told that it may not happen ... but we must respond soon.

Who are you responding to? Have you received an offer to have your interview moved up? If so, how did this happen?

Timeline
Who are you responding to? Have you received an offer to have your interview moved up? If so, how did this happen?

To the consulate. I wrote them explaining our situation and asking relevant questions about it. At no time I asked them if the interview could be moved. Instead I asked what we were supposed to do, so everything worked out fine for everybody.

Somebody at the consulate replied with answers to my questions and with a suggestion to apply for a change on the interview date to an earlier date. However, no guarantees are given. I was only told that if we ask for it with the proper justification, it will be considered and a change could happen if they find a way to accommodate her after approving our reason.

That is the reason for my question here: is there a reason to worry if the consulate kindly makes it happen?

Edited by clueless_in_usa

That is the reason for my question here: is there a reason to worry if the consulate kindly makes it happen?

The biggest kept secret of the entire K1/K3 process is that there is almost never a reason to worry about anything. If you have done everything USCIS and the State Department have asked you to do, and if you have a bona fide relationship, then sit back, enjoy the ride, and stop looking for things to worry about. ;) Seriously, there's nothing to worry about. If you ask for an early interview date, and they grant it, there's not some nefarious reason for it. Likewise, if they reject your request, it just means they can't fit you in. The only consideration I can see for an early interview is if personal finances, travel arrangements, and time will permit. I wouldn't necessarily call that a worry though, it's just logistics.

Don't worry, be happy. :)

Edited to add: probably the only way they'll move your interview date up is if you can show a really good reason for them to do it. "we want to be together SO MUCH!!!" is probably not a good reason, but heck, who knows. Saying that she has a business trip to Moscow during your requested time period, and would like to take care of her interview during this trip, might work though.

Edited by mox

Good advice Mox.

I think most everyone here would think that this is such an unusual situation that the suggestion by the consulate seems absurd. Under most cases, everyone is trying to get the earliest interview date possible and because of demands at the embassy it is usually weeks after the case file has arrived. Maybe because of the poor world wide economy, less people are applying for visas in Russia and the staff has available time.

But Mox is right. You are on the down slide now, enjoy the remaining period as it will go faster than you think.

Oh yeah, congratulations. Your long wait is almost over.

Was this really a suggestion to file for something or a reply from a staffer - "you can try to move it up."?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

She already has all documents she needs, except for the medical exam and the invitation to the interview (packet 3 has not arrived yet).

If the Consulate is truly offering an earlier interview date and if it works for you guys, then jump all over it! You most certainly do not need to wait on the packet 3, nor do you need to have an invitation letter. I'm speaking from experience. When my ex and her son got their interview date moved up, they had no invitation letter, and they had no problems whatsoever. If the only thing lacking is the medical exam and she can get that done prior to the interview date, I can't see any reason to not accept the offer. While I don't believe it's necessary, it would be a good idea to have some written documentation of the newly agreed upon interview date. This could be in the form of an email from a Consular Officer.

If the Consulate is truly offering an earlier interview date and if it works for you guys, then jump all over it! You most certainly do not need to wait on the packet 3, nor do you need to have an invitation letter. I'm speaking from experience. When my ex and her son got their interview date moved up, they had no invitation letter, and they had no problems whatsoever. If the only thing lacking is the medical exam and she can get that done prior to the interview date, I can't see any reason to not accept the offer. While I don't believe it's necessary, it would be a good idea to have some written documentation of the newly agreed upon interview date. This could be in the form of an email from a Consular Officer.

Just to clarify: She is allowed to attend the interview without an interview letter, but she must have an invitation. I.e., she must show up on the date of her scheduled interview.

Timeline
Just to clarify: She is allowed to attend the interview without an interview letter, but she must have an invitation. I.e., she must show up on the date of her scheduled interview.

That is what I meant with the question, because she might not receive the packet. However, we are well aware that she can only go to the interview the date the consulate expects her. No doubt about it.

I decided to ask if the possibility exist. They will probably answer in a week. I will let you know.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

That is what I meant with the question, because she might not receive the packet. However, we are well aware that she can only go to the interview the date the consulate expects her. No doubt about it.

I decided to ask if the possibility exist. They will probably answer in a week. I will let you know.

Why have you not entered your timeline?

:time:

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Me and clueless don' need no steenking timelines! ;)

You beat me to the punch :rofl:

Besides, if you follow all my posts, you can accurately predict my timeline. :P

I can barely keep track of my timeline now I have to go through all of your posts to figure where you are!!! That is ridiculous.

Mox your right you dont need a timeline because we all know where you are :lol:

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Mox your right you dont need a timeline because we all know where you are :lol:

LOL! Yeah, there's a definite advantage to having an imaginary SO. Yesterday she was a red-head. Today I'm thinking brunette. ;)

Yeah whats HIS name today? Bruce or Steven or maybe Lance (say each slowly with a lilt and a lisp)

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.