Colleens

Visiting US while waiting for visa

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am planning to go for an extended visit with my fiancee while I wait for my visa to be processed. Right now I have no worries as I own a home and am employeed full time, so visiting on weekends etc is easy. I have asked for a layoff from my job and will be selling my house to prepare to move to the US. I was going to time my house sale with my layoff date, and then just go to the US and stay with my fiancee until I have to go for my interview. The problem I can see facing is not having strong ties to Canada. Is having the K1 process started and the requirement of attending the interview going to be enough? I plan to put all my household goods in storage until I am able to import them as well. Will this help in any way? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You have probably seen most of the 'strong ties to Canada' threads, as you mention it.

Here is the thing - I don't think it is enough that you say - hey we are applying for this visa and therefore I am not really 'residing' in the U.S. just yet, I have to go back for an interview.

They do not want you residing here - period - until you have your visa.

Now, it may not be a problem at all, but you should certainly have a plan B if they don't let you in.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Man. so many extended visit and gardisil topics as of late.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Keep in mind, if u asked to be laid off, well ahead of getting approved for ur visa, most likely no EI for u!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Keep in mind, if u asked to be laid off, well ahead of getting approved for ur visa, most likely no EI for u!!

I did ask to be laid off, but found out that I was on the chopping block anyway and there is going to be a fairly significant nymber of people laid off at the same time, so hoepfully I shouldn't have an issue with getting EI. Because I will get a faily decent severance package, I don't think I will be able to claim EI straight away.

Timeline

I did ask to be laid off, but found out that I was on the chopping block anyway and there is going to be a fairly significant nymber of people laid off at the same time, so hoepfully I shouldn't have an issue with getting EI. Because I will get a faily decent severance package, I don't think I will be able to claim EI straight away.

I believe one ahs a certain period to apply for EI. I know 1 member quit in advance, and the EI people deemed she had quite too soon! But ur case is different if they are laying u off. But I think one still has to apply within a certain timeframe. And I believe they do take into account ones severance pkg! Doesnt hurt to contact EI and find out.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Usually having a letter from your employer is the first line of "defense" in providing evidence of ties to Canada when visiting. You don't say when you applied for the visa, what Consulate you will be interviewed in. When you are being laid off, and when you are going for your extended visit. If it's only going to be a month or two before when you think you'll get your interview, having your visa application package with you might help in terms of evidence of your returning to Canada for the interview. You might have some problems with answering questions if you're going for a lengthy visit and you've already left your job and have your things in storage. If you have letters or appointment cards for future Dr.'s or Dentist appointments, perhaps some up-to-date utility bills, bank statements...that might help.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
Usually having a letter from your employer is the first line of "defense" in providing evidence of ties to Canada when visiting. You don't say when you applied for the visa, what Consulate you will be interviewed in. When you are being laid off, and when you are going for your extended visit. If it's only going to be a month or two before when you think you'll get your interview, having your visa application package with you might help in terms of evidence of your returning to Canada for the interview. You might have some problems with answering questions if you're going for a lengthy visit and you've already left your job and have your things in storage. If you have letters or appointment cards for future Dr.'s or Dentist appointments, perhaps some up-to-date utility bills, bank statements...that might help.

We originally applied for the visa in May, but the application was never received, so we sent the application in again at the beginning of July. I will most likely be laid off at the beginning of October and plan on heading down to GA where my fiance lives mid Oct. He is active military, so he is going to call to see if we can get an expedite. I will be interviewing at the Montreal Consulate.

I do have a plan "B" just in case, but it would be nice to spend my time waiting with him :)

Timeline

We originally applied for the visa in May, but the application was never received, so we sent the application in again at the beginning of July. I will most likely be laid off at the beginning of October and plan on heading down to GA where my fiance lives mid Oct. He is active military, so he is going to call to see if we can get an expedite. I will be interviewing at the Montreal Consulate.

I do have a plan "B" just in case, but it would be nice to spend my time waiting with him :)

I'm all for military guys getting expedited, but usually they have to be deploying soon for that to happen! But it doesnt hurt to ask/try

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.