TomAndJiaLian

Another question about changing spouse's last name

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I searched the forum for this question and got lost in too many hits that didn't answer my question so please forgive me if this is answered elsewhere.

I am just getting started in this process and I think I made a mistake on our I-130 and G-325A. We were so intent on getting everything completed and all the i's crossed and t's dotted that I think we missed the time to change my wife's last name. When we filled out the forms we used her maiden name and did not think about changing it because her passport has not been updated.

Is there a way to change it without having to re-submit the I-130 and G-325A? I guess we can wait until she gets the CR-1 VISA and go from there, I'm sure it'll cost us $$$ but that's what I get for missing an important detail.

Thanks,

Tom

you can continue your papers without changing name. I wrote my married name in my I-130 and all other NVC forms but they still addressed me under my maiden name. I don't see any problem to it so long as you have a certified copy/original Marriage Certificate to present. And just inform them the truth when asked in consulate.

you can change passport to reflect her married name before getting the VISA so that they will issue the VISA under her married name. So I've read... I've just renewed my passport under my married name and the copies of my passport that I sent off to USCIS and NVC are all under my maiden name.

Just relax. Better yet, while waiting... I see that your fiance is from China... if she's not fluent in English, keep practicing to prevent any miscommunication during interview.

Good luck!

Filed: Country: Israel
Timeline
I searched the forum for this question and got lost in too many hits that didn't answer my question so please forgive me if this is answered elsewhere.

I am just getting started in this process and I think I made a mistake on our I-130 and G-325A. We were so intent on getting everything completed and all the i's crossed and t's dotted that I think we missed the time to change my wife's last name. When we filled out the forms we used her maiden name and did not think about changing it because her passport has not been updated.

Is there a way to change it without having to re-submit the I-130 and G-325A? I guess we can wait until she gets the CR-1 VISA and go from there, I'm sure it'll cost us $$$ but that's what I get for missing an important detail.

Thanks,

Tom

don't worry. Its not an important detail !my thoughts to you is to leave it as it is. There is nothing wrong in submitting the entire application with the maiden name. I kept my maiden name..its actualy more simple because many documents like passport, birth certificate, foreign DL - have maden name. If you submit it with the maiden name- there will never be confussion about her (when she re entering the US border) but if she has submitted with one name (your last name) and travels with another (passport-maiden), it could be confussion. I think its best to keep it simple thruout the entire USCIS process and keep the maiden name.

its recommended to finigh the application with the same name as the initial submissions (i-130, i-485...). I am sure if you insist, they will change it BUT i personaly would NOT reccommend it. Cause every change can cause a delay and might be improperly handled and its not as important (the last name thing) to take that chance.

Alona

To give you perspective,,,

I submitted all of the paperwork with her married name. And when I submitted the copy of her passport with the DS-230 I used the maiden name.

When the case completed at the NVC the name on her case was changed to match the passport name (Her Maiden Name)...

Since,, we have updated her passport to the married name,,, we will have to get her immigrant visa changed to her married name at the

time of the interview.

Regards,

I just went to the passport office yesterday to change my passport to my married name so I am ahead of the process AND my green card is in the correct name!!

I suggest if anyone is going to change their passport name do it asap koz it is going to take about 6 weeks for my new passport to arrive!!!

Donna xxx

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.