ScottThuy

Food in the US and a VN bride

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Ok gang..

This is for those that have gone through this already... I saw a discussion regarding food and folks from the philipines.. I would like to ask the same thing but in regards to VN spouses... When we were in Singapore I noticed that she did not want to eat anything other than VN food... Yes I found the 1 VN place downtown in Singapore so that provided her food there it took 2 days to find it.. I also have a friend with a VN restaurant here and the menu is very limited.. mostly just pho. so thats a good thing.. I know she loves to eat rice every day.. I can do that... but I want to know if there are foods here that someone from VN is more likely to eat over other foods.... I dont want to take her somewhere to eat that will be a thumbs down menu on her first night out in US...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Ok gang..

This is for those that have gone through this already... I saw a discussion regarding food and folks from the philipines.. I would like to ask the same thing but in regards to VN spouses... When we were in Singapore I noticed that she did not want to eat anything other than VN food... Yes I found the 1 VN place downtown in Singapore so that provided her food there it took 2 days to find it.. I also have a friend with a VN restaurant here and the menu is very limited.. mostly just pho. so thats a good thing.. I know she loves to eat rice every day.. I can do that... but I want to know if there are foods here that someone from VN is more likely to eat over other foods.... I dont want to take her somewhere to eat that will be a thumbs down menu on her first night out in US...

Hey Scott,

My parents were just like your wife. Even though they have lived in the US for 34 years, their diet is still primarily rice and Vietnamese food. Mom is in her mid-60s and dad is in his early 70's. I've tried introducing them to food from other cultures with limited success. KFC and Popeye's are their favorite non-Vietnamese food. Frying bird is pretty universal. Pizza is another good food choice for them. Chinese food is big hit. Japanese food is not. While teriyaki chicken/salmon is good; sushi and sashimi are usually left untouched. Jewish food was too salty. Greek is good except for the feta cheese. Mexican is not big with them either. French food is a hit except for steak tartar. Piaya is a hit.

I hope this list helps. Your best shoot at easing Thuy into sharing a diet with you that does not include rice every night may be to take her to out to eat Chinese, Thai, and anything with grilled meats (Greek, Brazilian, etc.). Fresh seafood is also good when the food is cooked.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It all depends on her willingness to try and her palate. Our experience has been that it's a gradual thing. There are places that we went 2 years ago that Linh did not like and now she enjoys them. Any sort of seasoned rice was out (cajun, mexican). Now, it's somewhat acceptable.

We've graduated from only the boney, small fish to a mixture of haddock, cod, and the small boney stuff. :)

Linh was used to eating only the lesser cuts of meat and it's taken time to appreciate less sinew, more flavor.

For the first 6 months whenever we went out I always made sure she ordered something that I would like and then I ordered something that I figured she would like. 75% of the time we ended up switching plates.

I try to draw the line at shrimp paste. I really don't enjoy the aroma.

Try to get her to cook without MSG.

First night, eat at home or a Viet restaurant. Don't push it on the 1st day.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Thanks!

:thumbs: Frying bird is a great one... popeyes may be the first try at eating outside the home here thats not Pho..... I'm getting better at cooing Vn foods.. and she can cook some things, but has never had to.. always eats out or mom cooks... I am trying to do what I can to minimize stress ahead of time..

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline
It all depends on her willingness to try and her palate. Our experience has been that it's a gradual thing. There are places that we went 2 years ago that Linh did not like and now she enjoys them. Any sort of seasoned rice was out (cajun, mexican). Now, it's somewhat acceptable.

We've graduated from only the boney, small fish to a mixture of haddock, cod, and the small boney stuff. :)

Linh was used to eating only the lesser cuts of meat and it's taken time to appreciate less sinew, more flavor.

For the first 6 months whenever we went out I always made sure she ordered something that I would like and then I ordered something that I figured she would like. 75% of the time we ended up switching plates.

I try to draw the line at shrimp paste. I really don't enjoy the aroma.

Try to get her to cook without MSG.

First night, eat at home or a Viet restaurant. Don't push it on the 1st day.

I think we will be eating at home for the first week or so.. Pho will be the first food away from home and may be my insurance policy in the first week...

I took some stuff with me last time I was there so my son would have a backup... Chef boyardee .. It didnt all get eaten when I was there so I left it there.. She didnt like it much at all but her sone went to town on it...

I think her palet is going to be very limited in the beginning as well...

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Thanks!

:thumbs: Frying bird is a great one... popeyes may be the first try at eating outside the home here thats not Pho..... I'm getting better at cooing Vn foods.. and she can cook some things, but has never had to.. always eats out or mom cooks... I am trying to do what I can to minimize stress ahead of time..

Frying turkey has been a great hit around my house for the last several years. It takes less time to cook the turkey, and the meat is juicier than oven roasting. Dad and mom even like the garlic mash and gravy. Rolls were a must.

Timeline

Linh won't eat turkey because she thinks the birds are ugly. I partially agree, ugly and TASTY.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Ok gang..

Well I guess I'm blessed. Each time that I have been to VN I cooked for Hanh and her family and they loved everything I made... except lemon chicken :whistle: They are willing to try everything and thank God they like a lot of different things. They can't wait for me to get there and start cooking Western food again. The even go back to Al Fresco's in HCMC after I took them all there.

Here is the states though might be tricky as restaurants go. See if you have a P.F. Changs near you. They are frickin Awesome! Benihana... even if she doesn't like the food... she will have a blast watching the guys cook. Bonefish Grill has great and some simple food. Also, look in your area and pick a restaurant and see if they have a website with a menu so that you can get a feel of what she might like and talk about it before you go out. Just some thoughts.

Timeline

Ralph, when are you opening up shop?

Timeline

Being from Hanoi area I think her family is a little more conservative when it comes to trying new foods.. or at least that is how it seems from all of us going out to eat... Ah bonefish! great idea.. and really close.. I used to go there all of the time before my money got tied up in this proccess... the cost of the trips add up when work isnt paying for them. got a japanese steakhouse also.. thats another good one! I'm working on getting a VN cookbook.. a friend got me two but forgot that my primary reading language is English.. the books were not.. The big plus that I have is a VN market that is pretty close.. yes a VN market not an asian market... they also rent DVD's.. . :lol:

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Ralph, when are you opening up shop?

We don't have a set date yet. I'm leaving Next Sunday! When I get there we are going with one of her friends to do some charity work. Then we are going to Dalat Highlands for a few days. I'm estimating the end of August early September. There is a lot to do when I get there :) Here is our logo

post-48991-1247362973_thumb.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Vietnamese restaurants aren't going to be a problem. I live in the San Francisco bay area. I personally know of at least a dozen VN restaurants in the city where I live, and there are hundreds more in other cities around the bay. In fact, we just had a new "Mr. Pho" restaurant open a few weeks ago - I recommend the cơm gà nướng!

Phuong likes to cook, so I don't think we're going to be going out to eat much. At her age (she's 43), I also don't expect I'm going to get her accustomed to too much western style food. We tried a bit in VN, and she was polite but noticeably underwhelmed. She also a devout Buddhist, and eats vegetarian for a couple of days every lunar month, especially during the Vu Lan holiday, and she's particular about what vegetables she'll eat. Some of the things she'll want to cook with are available in the local supermarket, but some of the vegetables just can't be bought locally.

Her uncle is helping me build a garden in my back yard where Phuong will be able to grow her vegetables. She also likes to work in the garden, so this will work out nicely.

When she arrives there will be 3 Anglo and 3 Viet people living here, so I figure we'll probably make mixed meals with a variety of vegetables and entrees, and we'll just put everything out on the table. Everyone can pick what they want. :)

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
Ok gang..

My wife didn't have too much of a problem adjusting to American foods. This may be because we spent a lot of time in Ho Chi Minh City and ate at KFC, Pizza Hut, etc. She loves McDonald's and Wendy's go figure. She also like TGIFridays, Applbee's and Chinese food. My suggestion is to let her try different things and let her decide what she likes and doesn't like. She will have to be open to trying new foods though. My wife's aunt on the other hand has lived in the US for about 30 years and refuses to eat anything other than Vietnamese food so it depends on the person.

4432.gif

4977653_bodyshot_300x400.gif4980295_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Timeline
My wife didn't have too much of a problem adjusting to American foods. This may be because we spent a lot of time in Ho Chi Minh City and ate at KFC, Pizza Hut, etc. She loves McDonald's and Wendy's go figure. She also like TGIFridays, Applbee's and Chinese food. My suggestion is to let her try different things and let her decide what she likes and doesn't like. She will have to be open to trying new foods though. My wife's aunt on the other hand has lived in the US for about 30 years and refuses to eat anything other than Vietnamese food so it depends on the person.

J & Q Wow.. 30 years and she stuck to what she knew... I actually tried to get her to eat BK in Singapore airport...the burger was a no go 4 sure.. the fries were kinda acceptable...

Jim .. You are lucky being in SF, in many ways.. The closest thing to what you have in SF is orlando for me... I can see us going to O-town every now and then... as there is a huge area of VN businesses there..

Also===I have already done research to find VN TV for her to watch here.....success

Edited by ScottThuy

Timeline
Ok gang..

chinese food or tai food will do certain vietnamese girl can be really picky on food they rather starve than eating the food that they don't like.

good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.