one...two...tree

U.S. science is tops, but most Americans don't think it is, a new survey finds.

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

By Mandy Kendrick

Today the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and the Pew Research Center released results of a survey examining the attitudes of the general public and the scientific community as they regard to science.

The results, collected from 2,553 AAAS members and 2,001 public respondents, suggest that although average Americans hold a positive view of scientists and support the funding of research, they do not share the same perspectives as the scientific community on a variety of science issues.

Only 17 percent of the public feels that U.S. scientific achievements rank first in the world, far less than the 49 percent of scientists who think so. Alan Leshner, chief executive officer of the AAAS, was surprised by the low percentage of both numbers, stating in a telephone press conference today that much of the world considers American science as the standard to seek. He goes on to note that U.S. science papers are still the most frequently cited in the world.

Among other findings, the study results showed differences in opinions on topics where science and worldviews tend to conflict. Only 32 percent of the people surveyed believe that humans evolved over time by natural processes, compared with 87 percent of scientists.

The extensive survey also touches on scientists’ views of the media and education. A majority of the scientists believe that news coverage is at best fair and that the media does poorly at educating the general public.

Also within the study was a quiz for the general public on basic science knowledge. The 12-question quiz (which Web surfers can take) revealed that people know about science that affects daily life, such as drug-related questions, but less about more “textbook” topics such as atoms and electrons.

According to Leshner, the survey outlines, for both the scientists and general public, some key problems in the scientific arena, and he emphasizes the need for the scientific community to engage more with the general public.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/60-...rica-2009-07-09

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If the consensus of Americans is that the Scientists suck, then they suck.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Wow, one of the worst response rate was for the question of whether antibiotics work as well for viruses as well as bacteria... That's just scary. And people wonder why we have MRSA and VRE :wacko:

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Wow, one of the worst response rate was for the question of whether antibiotics work as well for viruses as well as bacteria... That's just scary. And people wonder why we have MRSA and VRE :wacko:

I scored 12 out of 12. The test was way easy. If this kind of test stumps the general public then we are in trouble.

I scored 12 out of 12. The test was way easy. If this kind of test stumps the general public then we are in trouble.

Agreed. Easy. I got all correct, too but I KNOW a lot of people have no clue. I'm going to let my 14 year old take it now.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
:rofl:

Antibiotic used to treat viruses? :rofl:

Actually, up until fairly recently, it was common for a doctor to prescribe antibiotics to a patient who had signs of cold of flu-like symptoms, often because bacterial infections like sinusitis happen as result of the nasal congestion from a cold, so I think a lot of people misunderstood what the medicine was for.

Edited by Col. 'Bat' Guano

:rofl:

Antibiotic used to treat viruses? :rofl:

Actually, up until fairly recently, it was common for a doctor to prescribe antibiotics to a patient who had signs of cold of flu-like symptoms, often because bacterial infections like sinusitis happen as result of the nasal congestion from a cold, so I think a lot of people misunderstood what the medicine was for.

All that practice got us was resistant bacteria.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Do I get a gold star or something?

12.png

What gas do most scientists believe causes temperatures in the atmosphere to rise?

Hydrogen

Helium

Carbon dioxide

Radon

Shouldn't that question read politicians rather then scientists? Being the idiot I am, tend to agree that CO2 is the result of global warming rather than the cause of it. Too bad methane wasn't one of the answers or I would have missed this question.

256 some odd cold virus's, fairly immune to colds today with seven kids going to those germ affected schools, got all 256 of them. Could inject all 256 in you so you can get it over with, if it doesn't kill you first.

Can't see electrons, but sure can feel them, just unscrew a light bulb and stick your finger in the socket. If that lamp is protected by a GFI, won't trip it unless you are grounded, just goes to show how worthless GFI is, but your building inspector says, you gotta have them. Wonder what they would score on this test? They do have an requirement, if they get more than one answer correct, they are ineligible for that position, only complete idiots can apply.

Timeline

In regards to whether American scientist or engineers are the best in the world, was very true from day one in this country, a free society, with advancement and free thinking for innovation. But that is history, today we are regulated to death imposing extreme limits on what you can or cannot do. Augmented by a lawsuit society, better not even try that, can get sued to death, better stick with the old proven way, least you have a trail of court cases to fall back on.

If we had WW II today, we would be all speaking Japanese or German, but from the looks of it, we better be learning Chinese.

12.png

What gas do most scientists believe causes temperatures in the atmosphere to rise?

Hydrogen

Helium

Carbon dioxide

Radon

Shouldn't that question read politicians rather then scientists? Being the idiot I am, tend to agree that CO2 is the result of global warming rather than the cause of it. Too bad methane wasn't one of the answers or I would have missed this question.

You did get a gold star!!! As for the CO2 comment well,..... never mind.

12.jpg

Timeline

12.png

Hydrogen

Helium

Carbon dioxide

Radon

You did get a gold star!!! As for the CO2 comment well,..... never mind.

12.jpg

CO2 is a byproduct of fossil fuel combustion way behind water vapor in shear volume. But the key component of combustion is heat, maybe that is causing global warming.

Have to give those cavemen credit, I wouldn't know how to live in a cave, no place to plug in your computer. But wouldn't be safe anyway, as most caves I have been in have water dripping down. And where are the toilet paper dispensers, better yet, where are the restrooms?

I really don't deal with insurance companies that show cavemen traveling via the airlines or living in high rise apartments, those ain't cavemen. If they lie about that, they lie about everything else.