red_cherry123

To obtain Permanent Residence/GC 2

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi guys,

What if your conditional Green Card hasn't been approved yet, but then the marriage is over 2 years. What should I do? Am I able to proceed the removal of conditional Green Card? Does it use I-751 form?

Thank you,

-Cherry

I-129 F / K-1 Visa in 2005:

Jan 10 : Received NOA 1 from VSC

Jan 27 : Received approval e-mail

Feb 5 : Received NVC letter

Feb 9 : Received NOA letter

Mar 7 : Received packet for visa interview

Apr 25 : Medical exam

Apr 26 : Screened documents and interview approved

May 13 : Picked up visa

Sep 11 : Went to the US

Oct .... : Got SSN in maiden name

Nov 13 : Wedding Day!

AOS in 2005 till 2006 :

Dec 12 : Sent AOS + EAD

Dec 22 : Received NOA1 letter

Dec 28 : Got touched

Feb .... : Received SSN in married name

Feb 18 : Received Bio letter of AOS + EAD

Feb 23 : Appointment of biometrics of AOS + EAD

The rest is a waiting game :)

Feb 25 : Got touched AOS + EAD

Mar 1 : Received an e-mail stating EAD card will be sent

Mar 2 : Received an e-mail stating an approval letter is already sent

Mar 4 : Received EAD card in the mail

May 24 : AOS Interview

July 14 : Touched (said that the decision took 120 days)

July 19 : InfoPass Appointment & Passport got stamped for GC. What a surprise!

July 20 : Got a welcome letter from USCIS and that GC card would be mailed soon. What a surprise!

July 25 : Got a GC in the mailbox. Wow...what a real relief! My status is now clear:)

Deal with USCIS again in April 2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

You may find that the USCIS go ahead and simply issue an unconditional GC if your AOS has not been completed by the time you have been married two years.

They took a while to adjust my daughter's status, by which time I had been married two years and one day. It was certainly a nice surprise when her GC did come! I think this was deliberate - it saved everyone a lot of time and paperwork, they simply issued her a 10 year card straight away.

You have some time to wait, I see, before you need to be too worried about removing conditions. You have only been married 8 months from your signature.

Good luck!

G

Hi guys,

What if your conditional Green Card hasn't been approved yet, but then the marriage is over 2 years. What should I do? Am I able to proceed the removal of conditional Green Card? Does it use I-751 form?

Thank you,

-Cherry

Edited by Girona40

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: Timeline
Hi guys,

Thank you,

-Cherry

Girona has already given you an accurate answer, but I wanted to address your question, logically. If an alien hasn't had approval on an application for permanent residency, how could he/she remove "conditions" that haven't yet been imposed?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi guys,

Thank you,

-Cherry

If you are married less than 2 years when you become a PR, you are CR-1 and must file I-751 2 years (minus 90 days) from that date that you become a PR.

If you are approved after you have been married for 2 years, you will not have conditions on your residency and won't have to file I-751 at all.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Thanks for your input. I'd like to ask you another question. Supposedly I get my two year / conditional GC, and when is the best time for me to proceed I-751/Permanent GC? Is it based on the due date of conditonal GC (two years after receiving it) or actually two years of our marriage? Which one, I'm just confused.

-Cherry

AOS in 2005 till 2006 :

July 20 : Got a welcome letter from USCIS and that GC card would be mailed soon. What a surprise!

July 25 : Got a GC in the mailbox. Wow...what a real relief! My status is now clear:)

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thanks for your input. I'd like to ask you another question. Supposedly I get my two year / conditional GC, and when is the best time for me to proceed I-751/Permanent GC? Is it based on the due date of conditonal GC (two years after receiving it) or actually two years of our marriage? Which one, I'm just confused.

-Cherry

Once you appear with your AOS interview (if so), The interviewer will going to explain to you on how and when to file the I-751 (90 days before your conditional GC expired) Hope it's more clear to you now. ;)

11-1999---Meet in Taiwan

08-2002---Wedding in Philippines

10-2003---Enter U.S.A.

07-2006---10 yrs Green Card

11-2010---Proud to be U.S. Citizen :joy:

12 Yrs Married and counting (L) (L) (L)

IR5 (Mother)

01-16-2014---I130 Sent

01-21-2014---NOA1 Recv

02-22-2014---RFE Recv

02-27-2014---RFE Docs Sent

03-14-2014---I130 Approved

03-20-2013---Case Shipped to NVC

03-21-2014---NOA2 Approval Recv

04-01-2014---NVC Recv Approved Papers

04-30-2014---Sent email request to NVC for expedited process

04-30-2014---Case # and Invoice ID # assigned

05-02-2014---Recv NVC email asking for foreign contact # to complete expedited request

05-05-2014---DS 261 available and completed

05-07-2014---AOS show up payable and paid

05-09-2014---AOS Paid (shows processed 5/08/2014)

05-09-2014---Case Sent To US Embassy, Manila

05-11-2014---DS-260 Completed Online

05-12-2014---Case is READY!

06-25-2014---Medical Exam done in one day but ask to come back for Sputum test

07-07-2014---Interview Schedule @ 6:30AM Cancelled due to sputum test

07-08-2014---to 7-10-2014 (3 days Sputum Test) Negative result

09-09-2014---Sputum Final Result: (PASSED!!! 9-08-14 )

09-16-2014---Interview (221(g) for NBI a.k.a. name, I864 Orig. Signature & NSO verification)

09-25-2014---Documents sent via 2go

09-29-2014---221g documents delivered. & signed by L. Bernardino

09-30-2014---and 10-01-2014,Touched but still on AP

10-07-2014---Email sent to USEM

10-15-2014---Called USEM

10-16-2014---Sent Fax to USEM of approved expedited letter from U.S. Embassy General

10-21-2014---Touched but still on AP

10-22-2014---Visa Issued :joy:

"It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good to check up once in a while to make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy."

Timeline

Hi JRluvsLhyn,

The problem is that upon my AOS interview, the officer didn't tell us when or how to file I-751. It's because the officer didn't even give any decision on our case and only asked us to wait in the mail whether it's approval, denial or RFE. Anyway, I just would like to know how and when to process GC 2 ahead of time. My confusion was when I should file it. And apparently you answer my confusion. Thanks.

AOS in 2005 till 2006 :

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

-Cherry

Cherry,

If you read the page on removing conditions at uscis.gov, it will be really clear. Once you are designated CR (have conditions), your wedding date doesn't matter anymore. If required to file I-751, it will *always* be due by the 2nd anniversary of your Permanent Resident status (2 years after you get the card, typically). The card will have your 'start date' on it, and an expiration date. The expiration date is your deadline---you must file i-751 before the card expires.

I recommend the following reads to anyone who is becoming a Permanent Resident, so you can better understand your rights and responsibilities.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm

Some of you may be CONDITIONAL RESIDENTS. This page applies equally to you while you are in conditional resident status. The difference between you and an unconditioned permanent resident is that your permanent resident status will expire in two years from when it was given, unless you successfully petition to have the condition removed. Those of you with conditional permanent residence either received your residence through a marriage relationship where the marriage was less than two years old at the time you became a Permanent Resident, or you received that status through an investment as an employment creation immigrant (EB-5). If you successfully petition for removal of the condition on your immigration status, this page will still apply to you as a Permanent Resident.

How Do I Remove the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage?

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm

Background

A lawful permanent resident is given the privilege of living and working in the United States permanently. Your permanent residence status will be conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than two years old on the day you were given permanent residence. You are given conditional resident status on the day you are lawfully admitted to the United States on an immigrant visa or receive adjustment of status. Your permanent resident status is conditional, because you must prove that you did not get married to evade the immigration laws of the United States.

You and your spouse must apply together to remove the conditions on your residence. You should apply during the 90 days before your second anniversary as a conditional resident. The expiration date on your alien registration card (commonly know as green card) is also the date of your second anniversary as a conditional resident. If you do not apply to remove the conditions in time, you could lose your conditional resident status and be removed from the country.

Application Procedures: Removing the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond2.htm

Welcome to the United States:

A Guide for New Immigrants

http://uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/imm_guide.htm

I know that's an overkill answer, but lots of people have this question. You should also look at the pinned post at the top of this forum for more information.

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.