Autumnchik

financial aid for green card holders

6 posts in this topic

Okay, so as many of you know, my husband has been out of work for a year and job prospects for carpenters in our area just do not look good and are not likely to improve. So, hubby has pretty much decided to return to school and change careers. He's thinking nursing or another health care profession. Does anyone have experience in applying for financial aid as a permanent resident (not US citizen)? From what I have been reading online, permanent residents are eligible.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I got a few scholarships as a permanent resident!! I got my Associates degree in Nursing (RN) and if ya have a community college in the area that offers that, can be the cheapest route to go to get ur RN's! Some of the private colleges are very $$$$$$. Sorry not really what u were looking for!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We also looked into financial aid for my oldest and its no problem at all to get just check out the website nd see what kinds you can get. There was something that was stickly for US citizens can't remember what it was maybe a grant but it will clearly say who can get it and what not.

I've also have been looking into going back too school but I can't make up my mine what I want to do.

Danielle

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Thanks for the responses. His going back to school is a bit more of a pain that we thought. He contacted the college and the admissions person suggested he should just get his GED here and also take some of the courses that are prereqs over again (high school chemistry and biology with a grade of C or higher are prereq ... hubby has those, but they are from the early 80's) .... apparently, she thinks it will be less time consuming and get him admitted quicker to do that, rather than get his diploma and a copy of his transcript from Canada. She also asked hubby what language it was in (after hubby told her he went to school in BC).! Apparently, she thinks they will have to contact the BC dept. of ed. and get a lot of information on what those courses entailed, to make sure they are equivalent. GRRRRR .... this makes me crazy because I find this totally ridiculous and unnecessary that he has to do it. However, hubby is probably going to go that route, just because he doesn't want to rock the boat and the admissions counselor told him to do it this way.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.educationinternational.org/procedure.htm I used this company to get my CDN high school transcripts evaluated! They were great. I had the required document back before they had even cashed the cheque!!!

I had to take all the pre-reqs before I got accepted into the nursing program! Was a pain in the butt,but I did it! My school offered many of the classes online, which was nice. Was even able to take many of the sciences online, then met now and then for lab on campus.

As wel check with the local hospitals, sometimes they offer to pay for your schooling, and in return you have to work for them for so long---and if ya back out after they paid for ur schooling, then you owe them $$$$$,lol

There is also the diploma route to go in getting your RN's, but they are fewer and fewer of them! Liek any other job, the more "schooling" the better. Many start with the ADN, then go onto their BSN, 1 advantage of that route, is that most employers will assist in paying for your schooling.

And check with your school, they can usually direct you to scholarships, I know mine listed them on their website. I lucked out on getting one scholarship--was sponsored by the Rotary club---About 10 people were on the panel that interviewed me, and most of them were USA Armed forces veterans, so they liked my Cdn military experience. If I can go back to school, anyone can,lol

With regards to the classes taken in BC-----I contacted my old High school, and they mailed me my transcripts, which I then mailed to the above mentioned company! They sent a letter directly to the school,and a copy to me, stating it was equivalent to USA grade 12

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.