BelgiumUSA

SSN question 3 citizenship

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Very sorry if this question has been asked and answered before but I can't seem to find it on the site.

I am getting married in a month and have been here for almost 2 weeks so I am filing for my SSN.

On question 3 of the SSN application form it asks: citizenship: US citizen----- Legal alien allowed to work----Legal alien NOT allowed to work ( need document from US federal state or local government agency that explains why I need a SSN)----other

What do I check? I am obviously not allowed to work YET. But I will be, once married and my EAD in hand...

Does anyone know?

Thanks a lot!

Take care!

Filed: Timeline
Very sorry if this question has been asked...

I am getting married in a month and have been here for almost 2 weeks so I am filing for my SSN.

On question 3 of the SSN application form it asks: citizenship: US citizen----- Legal alien allowed to work----Legal alien NOT allowed to work ( need document from US federal state or local government agency that explains why I need a SSN)----other

What do I check?

No, I think this is the first time this has be ask today. LOL

If applying based on K-1 status and using the I-94 as evidence you want to check "Legal alien allowed to work."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Thank you.

What do I check?

If applying based on K-1 status and using the I-94 as evidence you want to check "Legal alien allowed to work."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

What do I check?

This has not been my understanding. I believe they should check "Legal alien NOT allowed to work..." You are not allowed to work until you get the EAD. The combination of SSN and EAD will allow you to work once you get your EAD.

Someone with experience please correct me if I am wrong. The above response shows no timeline and I am not sure where their info is coming from.

Filed: Timeline

What do I check?

Someone with experience please correct me if I am wrong.

I just did. I'll put my SSN experience up against anyone here.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
This has not been my understanding. I believe they should check "Legal alien NOT allowed to work..." You are not allowed to work until you get the EAD. The combination of SSN and EAD will allow you to work once you get your EAD.

Someone with experience please correct me if I am wrong. The above response shows no timeline and I am not sure where their info is coming from.

"LEGAL ALIEN ALLOWED TO WORK"....

Application needs to be made before day 76 of entry on a K-1

PS... VJ Member I Quit is by far the most knowledgeable on matters regarding the SSA, hands down bar none. Member since 2004...

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I apologize if I have offended anyone, but my intention was to get the correct info to the poster. It is hard to tell that someone is knowledgeable when there is no information in a user's profile. I have never trusted and never will the member meter. Too many people drive up their ranking with useless posts. Thank you for affirming his response. It will come in useful for me in the future as well. Good Luck to all with the rest of your journeys.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.