deutsixfive

I-134 Should I find a joint sponsor?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm uncertain as to whether I should find a joint sponsor for my fiance (K-1 visa).

I'm a Poor hardworking Doctoral (PhD) student, who earns about USD 25K a year. I used to live in Singapore, and have only been in the US since Fall 2008. According to the I-864P poverty guidelines, my annual income is more than 125% of the poverty line for a household of two people (a little more than USD 18K).

What I'm worried about is that I have only one year's income tax return, which only included my income from the last four months of 2008. I will definite include an explanation of our situation in the material that I will send to my fiance for her to bring to the Singapore embassy. I am wondering whether with an employer letter, pay stubs, this will be sufficient.

My other worry is that my income may be considered to be too low. The closest kin we have is one of her uncles who lives in New York, and we'll be in Boston. Should I ask him if he's willing to be a joint sponsor?

Has anyone been in my low-income, short time in the US situation and successfully gotten a visa? That would be reassuring for us to hear.

Thanks!

Edited by deutsixfive

Couple of things:

• Co Sponsor does not have to be a relative.
  • Co Sponsor does not need to live in the same state/city as you

Lets say you do secure a co-sponsor in a just-in-case situation. If the Consulate/Embassy determines your income is sufficient (which they can, even based on your 1-year earnings) - they very often will simply return the Co Sponsor's package back to you. So there is no harm.

Do you need one? Maybe, maybe not - on paper (based on your income level) you do not - but being relatively close to the minimum and with a short earnings history, it might not be a bad idea to look for a co sponsor now rather than having to potentially scramble later.

(Yes - have personally seen plenty of folks in a similar financial position to yours and been successful without a co-sponsor.)

Edited by Otto und Karin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Couple of things:

• Co Sponsor does not have to be a relative.
  • Co Sponsor does not need to live in the same state/city as you

Lets say you do secure a co-sponsor in a just-in-case situation. If the Consulate/Embassy determines your income is sufficient (which they can, even based on your 1-year earnings) - they very often will simply return the Co Sponsor's package back to you. So there is no harm.

Do you need one? Maybe, maybe not - on paper (based on your income level) you do not - but being relatively close to the minimum and with a short earnings history, it might not be a bad idea to look for a co sponsor now rather than having to potentially scramble later.

(Yes - have personally seen plenty of folks in a similar financial position to yours and been successful without a co-sponsor.)

:thumbs:

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.