ChoKevin

Tourist Visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

:dance: Hello all,

My Fiance' wants to come visit me in the US on a Tourust Visa. We have not filed for a K1 and do not plan to until 2010. I have heard that Tourist Visa;s are being denied in record numbers, although I have seen no "Proof" of this. Let me add she does not plan on staying, she will return to to PH. My concern here is if she applies for the Tourist Visa and is denied, later down the road in 2010, is that going to send up some kind of red flag when we file for the K1? I wonder if they will see it as someone just looking for a way to get into the US and deny the K1.

Thanks for any help,

Kevin Hawley

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

No, having a denied tourist visa is not going to affect the K-1, assuming she is not denied for a reason that automatically disqualifies her from the K-1 as well (ie. some past conviction or something). If she is denied for the normal reason like insufficient funds or no clear ties to her home country, then it wont make any different for the K-1.

They will probably ask her about it though, in which case she should just say she was trying to get a visa to visit you, meet your family or whatever. Most important thing here is NOT TO LIE. When they ask if she has a denied visa in the past, say yes (assuming she is denied!) I hope she gets it though! :)

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My Fiance' wants to come visit me in the US on a Tourust Visa. We have not filed for a K1 and do not plan to until 2010. I have heard that Tourist Visa;s are being denied in record numbers, although I have seen no "Proof" of this. Let me add she does not plan on staying, she will return to to PH. My concern here is if she applies for the Tourist Visa and is denied, later down the road in 2010, is that going to send up some kind of red flag when we file for the K1? I wonder if they will see it as someone just looking for a way to get into the US and deny the K1.

Thanks for any help,

Kevin Hawley

Unless the visa is refused because the applicant is not eligible to enter the USA (previous overstay, misrepresentation, etc...) then it will have no affect.

Most likely reason a tourist visa is refused is because the applicant cannot overcome the presumption of immigrant intent or otherwise referred to as "strong ties" to home country ( a compelling reason to leave the USA and return). A K-1 does not have this burden as the applicant can have immigrant intent.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee (now wife) tried for a tourist visa & was denied (like everyone else we were tired of the long wait & wanted to be together). The denial had no impact on the (eventual) K-1 visa. I don't want to burst your bubble but since your fiancee is from the Philippines she has a better chance of being struck by lightning on a sunny day than getting a tourist visa.

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for any help,

Kevin Hawley

I dont think it matters as long as she will answer in the application that she has applied for such visa before .

Thanks for any help,

Kevin Hawley

I don't think it would hurt to apply for a visa,, However, unless she is wealthy, has a great job she is taking leave from,, owns a business, (basically, as unrefuteable reasons for returning) they will most likely deny the visa.

True story, Had a relative apply,,, she was a business woman wanting to attend her sisters wedding. Reason for denial.. The interviewer said, "You are too good looking,, you will just find someone to marry you".

Remember, you are not in Kansas Toto.

Good luck,

No, having a denied tourist visa is not going to affect the K-1, assuming she is not denied for a reason that automatically disqualifies her from the K-1 as well (ie. some past conviction or something). If she is denied for the normal reason like insufficient funds or no clear ties to her home country, then it wont make any different for the K-1.

They will probably ask her about it though, in which case she should just say she was trying to get a visa to visit you, meet your family or whatever. Most important thing here is NOT TO LIE. When they ask if she has a denied visa in the past, say yes (assuming she is denied!) I hope she gets it though! :)

It is being asked in the DS Forms he is going to fill out.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Timeline

Thanks for any help,

Kevin Hawley

Hi Kevin, I had 3 consecutive B1/B2 Visa denials and we still got our K1/K2 approved. I'm living proof. HAHA!

Timeline

Thanks for any help,

Kevin Hawley

Hi Kevin, I had 3 consecutive B1/B2 Visa denials and we still got our K1/K2 approved. I'm living proof. HAHA!

The reason for denial though is my ties are strong. Even though I've been back and forth to the states before (as a cabin crew) My mom, sisters and fiance are there, you see. Still let her try... you can never tell. I hope she gets it. Good luck!

Denied thrice before but am now here. Tourist visas are relatively easier to get nowadays as long as you fulfill the requirements due to the recession. America needs dollars from tourists. With the recession around a would be illegal immigrant from the Philippines would find it harder to live in the US with no jobs around. Hence, the embassy is relaxing its rules and awarding more visas assuming this is the case. Of course, it's still a risk for the USEM. But again, just fulfill the requirements.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.