MapleLeafBaby

Re-establishing Your Girlie Connections..

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well so far, things are going pretty well for me but I haven't really tried to establish everything right away because I knew I would be overwhelmed.

I have had my hair done here before, but only highlighted, not cut, but I'm trying to grow my hair now so I will most likely just trim, so I'm no that worried.

I am in search of a waxer, but being so close to NYC, I'm sure I'll find something. I belong to another beauty/fashion message board so I know I'll get some great reco's from people there when I'm in need.

I got my eyebrows done a few days ago and they did a bad job, but there are tons of places around here, so I'll just try a new place next time. Luckily I'm blonde and my eyebrows are really light, so it's not noticeable for me. And, it only costs $5 around here, so it's not like I'm paying a fortune. Luckily I'm pretty laid back.

Nails - I recently started doing them myself but I do have a place here that I like that is super cheap and good/clean. $14 for a pedicure and $7 for a manicure. That's Queens pricing for you!

Shopping - Living in NYC makes all my shopping easy! Plus since I live in Queens, there is also a really good mall (Queen's Center) with a Target nearby as well. We'll most likely shop around for deals on furniture and housewares, the deals here are much better than Toronto so I'm not worried. I really like the housewares at Target and Macy's. The department stores here rock.

In terms of friends. Right now I only really have 2 friends that are fiance's of my husbands. I can see myself being friends with both, but I know it will just take some time to develop the friendships. One of them lives in Bermuda right now, so that friendship isn't developing anytime soon. The other is moving around the corner from me in October and her fiance lives there now, so she is going to be around on weekends and such. She's really nice and we get along well. I'm sure we'll never be besties, but we'll probably always hang out since our husbands are childhood friends. I'm sure that when I find a job, I'll meet more people and have a few more friends as usually people in my industry are pretty outgoing and friendly.

All I can say right now about my friends from home is thank goodness for text messaging and Blackberry messenger. Luckily my BFF and I have lived apart before so we have done it and I'm sure we'll be okay. I'm sure I'll lose touch with some people, but that's going to happen even at home.

Oh and lastly I joined the gym on Wednesday and I'm loving it! I went yesterday twice and will go again tonight with the hubs. I'm looking forward to going during the day to kill some time. I also joined the library and got some books out to read!

I haven't looked for a Dr. yet, I'm just going to wait until I need to find one. I just had a physical 3 days before I left Canada, so I have all the BC i need for the year, just have to pick up the rest of it when i go back to Canada, LOL. I have enough to last me until Nov.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I finally had a day of girly pampering yesterday after trying not to spend unnecessary money since moving here. It was soooo worth it! It made me feel like myself again :-) Anyway, I relied on Yelp to find everything I needed. I don't know if it's as active a site in other cities, but here in Chicago, you can count on it to help you find the best of everything, complete with details such as who is best at certain salons, what their prices are like, day of the week specials, etc.

As far as girl friends, I have always had trouble getting to know people, so I was worried about how it would go here, but one of the first nights that we went out there was a really outgoing female friend of one of my guy's friends who, upon finding out I was new here, asked "oh... do you need friends?" I was a little taken aback by the question, but admitted that yes, I do. We have been hanging out here and there, and she has introduced me to some other people as well. Overall, people seem to be very friendly and open to adding to their friend rosters. Girlfriends and wives of my guy's friends have all been super friendly as well, and I feel like there are several of them that I could call if I feel like I need some girl time.

• 7/7/08 -- I-129f sent
  • 7/9/08 -- I-129f received at CSC
  • 7/24/08 -- NOA1 (finally!)
  • 12/2/08 -- NOA2 (WOOT!!!!)
  • 12/8/08 -- received at NVC
  • 12/22/08 -- packet 3 (with packet 4 attachment instead of checklist :P)
  • 12/29/08 -- packet 3 sent back with bits and pieces that I pulled together to make up a packet 3
  • 1/5/09 -- actual packet 3 received, but found out by via e-mail that they were satisfied with what I had already provided
  • 2/10/09 -- found out via call to DoS that my interview is scheduled!
  • 3/16/09 -- interview!!!! APROVED!!!
  • 4/7/09 -- MOVE!!!!!!!!
    Crossed at Detroit/Windsor Tunnel... pretty painless, about 45 minutes, inexperienced officer, asked for and received EA stamp
  • 4/13/09 -- Married in New Orleans!!!!!!!!
  • 5/30/09 -- Filed AOS/AP/EAD
  • 6/1/09 -- AOS etc received in Chicago

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry - I can't resist!

I know what you meant to say, Sapphire Dreams, but I couldn't help noticing what you actually wrote:

In terms of friends. Right now I only really have 2 friends that are fiance's of my husbands. I can see myself being friends with both, but I know it will just take some time to develop the friendships. One of them lives in Bermuda right now, so that friendship isn't developing anytime soon. The other is moving around the corner from me in October

Are you sure you really want to be friend's with fiance's of your husband? :D

(and yeah, don't you wish the edit key would allow you more time to go back and make corrections, hehehe)

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I finally had a day of girly pampering yesterday after trying not to spend unnecessary money since moving here. It was soooo worth it! It made me feel like myself again :-) Anyway, I relied on Yelp to find everything I needed. I don't know if it's as active a site in other cities, but here in Chicago, you can count on it to help you find the best of everything, complete with details such as who is best at certain salons, what their prices are like, day of the week specials, etc.

As far as girl friends, I have always had trouble getting to know people, so I was worried about how it would go here, but one of the first nights that we went out there was a really outgoing female friend of one of my guy's friends who, upon finding out I was new here, asked "oh... do you need friends?" I was a little taken aback by the question, but admitted that yes, I do. We have been hanging out here and there, and she has introduced me to some other people as well. Overall, people seem to be very friendly and open to adding to their friend rosters. Girlfriends and wives of my guy's friends have all been super friendly as well, and I feel like there are several of them that I could call if I feel like I need some girl time.

That's just really cool! I'm going to take that approach some time if I meet someone new to the area!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline
In terms of friends. Right now I only really have 2 friends that are fiance's of my husbands. I can see myself being friends with both, but I know it will just take some time to develop the friendships. One of them lives in Bermuda right now, so that friendship isn't developing anytime soon. The other is moving around the corner from me in October and her fiance lives there now, so she is going to be around on weekends and such. She's really nice and we get along well. I'm sure we'll never be besties, but we'll probably always hang out since our husbands are childhood friends. I'm sure that when I find a job, I'll meet more people and have a few more friends as usually people in my industry are pretty outgoing and friendly.

I always notice when someone mentions Bermuda. Is she Bermudian or an American working for a mulitinational there?

I'm lucky as far as friends go. I joined an Episcopalian church. The average member of the congragation has the same liberal views as I do. Also, this church has mostly young families. I've made quite a few friends there.

~ Catherine

Timeline

even though i haven't moved yet, i have already started figuring out where i will be getting all my 'girlie' things taken care of. Fortunately, we live just up the street from a great esthetics place. I've been there three times for mani/pedis and i was so happy with results...almost as good as my girl in Toronto. I am lucky that my fiance loves to get pedicures as well, so it gives us something to do together. I was also able to get all my waxing done there and i have to say they were better than the girl i go to here in Toronto. Finding a hairdresser is always a headache, especially since i've only had two hairdressers. Since we are getting married in Connecticut, i've already started to look for a hairdresser and i have found 2 that are really good. A little more expensive, but still good (i've had trials with each of them). there is a great mall about 20 minuts from our house and it has everything...incl Victoria Secret and i cannot lie...i love VS! there is a gym up the street that my fiance goes to and it's fully loaded (pool, squash courts).

Friends are a little harder for me, especially since my fiance has a lot of single male friends...so none of them have any g/f that i can connect with. i just hope that once i get a job (if i get a job) i will be able to meet some people.

Our Journey to Happiness :)

Oct 30, 2002 - We met in Toronto while he was visiting on a business trip from the US

Dated until early 2004 and then distance became an issue

Sept 16, 2007 - He initiated contact with me after almost 4 years!

Jan 2008 - He came to Toronto to visit and see if there was still 'something' there

Feb 28, 2009 - He proposed in front of my family in our condo in Toronto!!!

May 13, 2009 - sent in I-129F (Lawyer is handling our process)

May 15, 2009 - received receipt of NOA1

September 16, 2009 - NOA2!!!

Nov 4/09 - sent packet 3

Nov 25/09 - info logged in system

Interview date - March 22, 2010!!! ***APPROVED!!!***

POE @ Queenston/Lewiston - April 4th, 2010

Wedding date - July 17, 2010

Timeline
I'm sorry - I can't resist!

I know what you meant to say, Sapphire Dreams, but I couldn't help noticing what you actually wrote:

In terms of friends. Right now I only really have 2 friends that are fiance's of my husbands. I can see myself being friends with both, but I know it will just take some time to develop the friendships. One of them lives in Bermuda right now, so that friendship isn't developing anytime soon. The other is moving around the corner from me in October

Are you sure you really want to be friend's with fiance's of your husband? :D

(and yeah, don't you wish the edit key would allow you more time to go back and make corrections, hehehe)

Haha you got me! I didn't even see that Kathryn! Oops!!

I always notice when someone mentions Bermuda. Is she Bermudian or an American working for a mulitinational there?

I'm lucky as far as friends go. I joined an Episcopalian church. The average member of the congragation has the same liberal views as I do. Also, this church has mostly young families. I've made quite a few friends there.

~ Catherine

She's American, working for a multinational there for 2 years. Her and her fiance (one of my husband's good friends) both work for a big accounting firm and they did a 2 year term there. They are loving it! We're hoping to go visit when I get my Greencard. Possibly next March or April. Is that a good time to go Catherine?

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Hey great feedback! Glad to see others share the same experiences! :)

thankfully my future SIL who is married to my fiancée brother is cool. And our kids are close in age, so hanging out is fun :) she doesn't work, so right now, were on the same schedule lol!

The Doctor thing will be tricky...I mean, I get great referrals as both my fiancé and his brother are Dr's...but in the same aspect, it's weird cause they know everyone...I would like my 'own' Gyno and not one I'll be seeing at BBQ's haha! :)

I'm sure it all takes time :)

and Jill, def we will meet up!!!! It'll be fun!

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.