trailmix

Good news from your part of Canada!

42 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok so, I was thinking it might be interesting if we posted some good news from Canada, something from your local paper that is fun or nice.

I noticed in the Calgary Herald this morning that they even have a 'good news' section now!

So here is something from The Calgary Herald.

1702137.jpg

CALGARY - The 2009 edition of the Calgary Stampede Parade will be led by home improvement pro and Herald columnist Mike Holmes when it kicks off July 3rd.

Holmes, who also hosts his own show Holmes on Homes on Global TV's HGTV network, is an author who has appeared on programs like the Ellen DeGeneres Show multiple times to speak about home building. The TV personality also has a Calgary-area connection - he is planning a 457-unit community near Okotoks, just south of Calgary's city limits.

The announcement about the parade was made at the annual Stampede Kickoff luncheon today. Responding to tough economic times, the 10 day exhibition will be bigger and better, according to Dr. David Chalack, Stampede president and CEO.

Organizers say there will be more than one-hundred new exhibits and attractions, including a new grandstand show every night after the chuckwagon races, known simply as "the big show."

The Stampede parade is one of the main events of Calgary's annual showcase, usually drawing around 350,000 along its routes, according to the event's website. The parade has been held since 1912.

Holmes column can be read weekly in the Herald's Saturday Life at Home section - and online at www.calgaryherald.com/mikeholmes.

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

That guy is super attractive in real life. :luv:

It's the Oakville Waterfront Festival this weekend!

Dammit. I'm going to miss Jesse Cook. :angry:

My brother has worked with the talent for the festival for many years now. He gets to party with them. He loves Great Big Sea. :lol:

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward-isl...-anne-beef.html

This is probably the most oddest bit of good news from home.. they are going to package BEEF now with an Anne sticker to make it more appealing overseas.. *sigh.. honestly I wish that story had never been thought up'd.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward-isl...-anne-beef.html

This is probably the most oddest bit of good news from home.. they are going to package BEEF now with an Anne sticker to make it more appealing overseas.. *sigh.. honestly I wish that story had never been thought up'd.

Oh I like that idea :lol:

Heck, if brand packaging will help sell stuff, more power to 'em. I mean, good Lord. If I had a nickle for every dumb commercial I've seen on TV where the owner has their kid or their dog helping them sell cars 'n stuff, well..... I say sell your meat, Anne!

Someone needs to tell those car salesman that they need to hire a professional actor to sell their product. Unless that kid or that dog is gonna negotiate with me on the price of a vehicle, I don't wanna see 'em! :bonk:

iagree.gif

Timeline
Heck, if brand packaging will help sell stuff, more power to 'em. I mean, good Lord. If I had a nickle for every dumb commercial I've seen on TV where the owner has their kid or their dog helping them sell cars 'n stuff, well..... I say sell your meat, Anne!

Someone needs to tell those car salesman that they need to hire a professional actor to sell their product. Unless that kid or that dog is gonna negotiate with me on the price of a vehicle, I don't wanna see 'em! :bonk:

It's so prevalent here! We mention it a lot - I don't know if it was the place we bought the truck from or where Mike was looking at a jeep - but he referred to it as 'yes, one of those places that use kids in the ads'

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
Ok so, I was thinking it might be interesting if we posted some good news from Canada, something from your local paper that is fun or nice.

I noticed in the Calgary Herald this morning that they even have a 'good news' section now!

So here is something from The Calgary Herald.

1702137.jpg

CALGARY - The 2009 edition of the Calgary Stampede Parade will be led by home improvement pro and Herald columnist Mike Holmes when it kicks off July 3rd.

Holmes, who also hosts his own show Holmes on Homes on Global TV's HGTV network, is an author who has appeared on programs like the Ellen DeGeneres Show multiple times to speak about home building. The TV personality also has a Calgary-area connection - he is planning a 457-unit community near Okotoks, just south of Calgary's city limits.

The announcement about the parade was made at the annual Stampede Kickoff luncheon today. Responding to tough economic times, the 10 day exhibition will be bigger and better, according to Dr. David Chalack, Stampede president and CEO.

Organizers say there will be more than one-hundred new exhibits and attractions, including a new grandstand show every night after the chuckwagon races, known simply as "the big show."

The Stampede parade is one of the main events of Calgary's annual showcase, usually drawing around 350,000 along its routes, according to the event's website. The parade has been held since 1912.

Holmes column can be read weekly in the Herald's Saturday Life at Home section - and online at www.calgaryherald.com/mikeholmes.

Don't let Mike Holmes fool you! This is what he REALLY likes to do at the stampede...

n90402785_33242458_1203.jpg

This is my friend Beth and her friend at the stampede with mike holmes 2 years ago! She said he was as drunk as a skunk! haha

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

That's hilarious :lol:

You know it's funny - a lot of people think the Stampede is dumb and dorky - but really, it's just about everyone getting out and having a good time.

Edited by trailmix

Don't let Mike Holmes fool you! This is what he REALLY likes to do at the stampede...

n90402785_33242458_1203.jpg

This is my friend Beth and her friend at the stampede with mike holmes 2 years ago! She said he was as drunk as a skunk! haha

:lol:

I thought that's what everybody did at the Stampede! :lol:

Drunk? Naahhh. He doesn't look drunk at all! lol

iagree.gif

Timeline

I'd LOVE to go to the stampede. I think it would be a hoot!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Here's a good news story from my former local 'weekly' about a group for which I used to volunteer teaching adult basic literacy - they also do English as a Second Language. I thought since we are all immigrants ourselves, we might enjoy this story about immigrants 'back home'.

World Refugee Day celebration in Tecumseh Park

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

On Saturday, June 20, 2009, newcomers to Chatham-Kent from over 40 countries gathered to celebrate World Refugee Day and feel at home in Chatham's Tecumseh Park. Over 140 newcomers and immigrants in the area marked the day by attending Adult Language and Learning's Newcomer and Immigrant Picnic: A Barbeque in Tecumseh Park.

Rachelle Pascoe-Deslauriers, Adult Language and Learning's Settlement Services Coordinator and the event�s organizer, said that this year's World Refugee Day theme was "Real people, real needs". The picnic allowed "newcomers to feel that they are part of this community and foster a sense of belonging in Chatham-Kent as well as meet other newcomers". She added that, "immigrants often feel very isolated in their new communities and this event was an opportunity to assist newcomers beyond their basic needs".

Immigrants from around the globe socialized while their children participated in a variety of children's activities, from face painting to games organized by Adult Language and Learning's Child-Minding Department. Over 60 children attended the event with their parents and enjoyed the beautiful day in the park.

Adult Language and Learning is a not for profit, charitable organization funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Employment Ontario. They offer immigrants services in English, French, Arabic, Korean, Mandarin, Spanish and Vietnamese to help newcomers adjust to live in Canada. They also offer Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada and English as a Second Language classes.

A Newcomer Welcome Fair is planned for July 9th from 9 am to 1 pm at Adult Language and Learning at 48 Fifth Street. The Fair will be an opportunity for newcomers and immigrants to Chatham-Kent to learn about over 30 Government and community service agencies that can assist them in Canada.

http://www.cktimes.ca/article/10943.html

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The LCBO is not going on strike :D

that is awesome considering it's sort of like a long weekend this week...LCBO article

Our Journey to Happiness :)

Oct 30, 2002 - We met in Toronto while he was visiting on a business trip from the US

Dated until early 2004 and then distance became an issue

Sept 16, 2007 - He initiated contact with me after almost 4 years!

Jan 2008 - He came to Toronto to visit and see if there was still 'something' there

Feb 28, 2009 - He proposed in front of my family in our condo in Toronto!!!

May 13, 2009 - sent in I-129F (Lawyer is handling our process)

May 15, 2009 - received receipt of NOA1

September 16, 2009 - NOA2!!!

Nov 4/09 - sent packet 3

Nov 25/09 - info logged in system

Interview date - March 22, 2010!!! ***APPROVED!!!***

POE @ Queenston/Lewiston - April 4th, 2010

Wedding date - July 17, 2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I looked at the Edmonton Journal site but didn't find anything that good.

My mom got a new puppy yesterday! That is great news! But it didn't make the paper. :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.