Krikit

What's For Dinner - Part Deux

2,275 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

It is too hot to cook!

Wow. You're not that far from me and it was cool and overcast here yesterday. :unsure:

Felt like slow smoking a rack of ribs for a few hours, So that, potato salad and a nice cold beer. smile.gif Being lazy for dinner here.

Mmmmmm. You and I would get along really well. lol

Made omelettes tonight - had some left over kielbossa so chopped that up, added chopped broccoli, green

Gosh. I couldn't find kielbassa to save my life in Florida. I wonder if I'll be able to find it here?

Yummy homecooked mama's style baked macaroni... fried onions, mushrooms and thick smoked bacon with 2 tbsp of philly garlic and herb cream cheese, mix that together with macaroni (al dente) add a cup of milk with 2 eggs cracked into it over the top, pile high with cheese, and back for 40 min...

Stock up on the philly garlic herb cream cheese. You can't get it down here. :( At least, not where I used to live.

So we're in a long term stay hotel and it includes a full breakfast every day plus "evening receptions" from Monday - Thursday (including wine and beer). Last night's menu was cheese manicotti with garlic bread and salad. It was quite good, actually. The night before it was sweet and sour chicken and rice. So, basically, sugar over starch. I made a chicken breast with salad and grilled vegetables instead. (We have a small but really nice kitchen.) Tonight we are on our own. Not sure if we will go out or if I will make something. Depends if I get inspired or not. lol

iagree.gif

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Try Famous Daves - if you like BBQ'd meat they are awesome....they're down 50 @ 28 near the Costco plaza...I don't know exactly where you're at (There's a long stay hotel there....is this you? :) )

I have not had good luck finding kielbasa or polish sausage of any type yet in NOVA...but there are butchers around.

Last night I made a Campbell's soup recipe for quesadilla's. They suggested a can of the cheddar soup, but I only used half a can and then a ½ can of tomato mixed in with cooked shredded chicken and salsa...then baked for a few minutes in a tortilla...Wholefoods fresh tortillas are the best!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Try Famous Daves - if you like BBQ'd meat they are awesome....they're down 50 @ 28 near the Costco plaza...I don't know exactly where you're at (There's a long stay hotel there....is this you? smile.gif )

We are at the Dulles 28 Centre so we're not far from there at all! Thanks for the tip, Udella. Maybe we'll give it a try this weekend.

I have not had good luck finding kielbasa or polish sausage of any type yet in NOVA...but there are butchers around.

I definitely will be looking for a good butcher. I was at the Wegmans the other day and just wanted one chicken breast. But they only sell in multiples and wouldn't do a "special order". blink.gif That's when I knew I had to find a butcher. :lol: If I find some good kielbassa or polish sausage I'll let you know. Otherwise, I just get them to vacuum-pack it at the Italian grocers I go to in Canada and I bring it back with me.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Krikit -- it went up until the 80's in Baltimore Tues and Wed and maybe Thurs? I know it was so cool yesterday and pretty cool today. AND there's some good kielbassa around here! I've had luck just grabbing one of those pre-sealed packages at the local supermarket. If you are going to be near DC, lots of specialty shops there where you can get really good ones!

So tonight we are having friends over and I am serving some Asian inspired foods -- fried wantons for appetizer, beef sukiyaki and chicken with cashew for mains... and cupcakes for dessert :lol: Im kind of annoyed because the wanton wrapper I bought is obviously of low quality -- they are so dry and won't seal, so I dont think the cream cheese wantons (which I folded and "sealed" with toothpicks) will turn out okay :(

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was feeling so ill from tree pollen attacks on my allergies that I forgot to go get bread yesterday. I didn't want to drive to the store tonight so I made homemade biscuits and gravy with sausage crumbles. Yummy!

Let's see. Friday night we had dinner at Fishbones. Or is it Bonefish? They got my order wrong so they took it off the bill. That made me happy. :)

Saturday. Saturday. What did we have Saturday? Oh! We found a great little seafood place! Blueridge Seafood Restaurant. It was fabulous.

Yesterday we ate at Eggspectations. Brand new restaurant. ####### service but great food. We'll try there again, but hope for a different server. lol

Tonight's menu at the hotel is "Soup, salad, and dessert." I hope "dessert" isn't cookies. I'm getting a little tired of cookies. lol

iagree.gif

Timeline

I'm making grilled cheese tonight on sourdough with fresh mozzarella and a pine nut/basil pesto with a side of grilled asparagus... it's going to be NOMMY!

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh my gawd, that sounds so freaking delicious!

Yesterday I marinated some beautiful pork chops all day and then I grilled them on our new BBQ, a charcoal one as to me, gas makes no sense -- you don't get that lovely grilled taste! I made some grilled potatoes and I also made this dish with pancetta and chopped up brussels sprouts that was delicious. I just chopped those babies up, fried up the pancetta in some olive oil with pepper and kosher salt and some pecan nuts -- it was really, really good. I love brussells sprouts like that.

I have a left over chop so I am going to incorporate it into a brown rice stir fried pork dish -- it was marinated in soy sauce, honey, chilies and garlic anyway -- hopefully it'll be good.

:D

Ooooh, I also made a HUGE batch of oatmeal/raisin cookies -- my favourite and they seem healthier than a lot of other things I could have made.

I'm making grilled cheese tonight on sourdough with fresh mozzarella and a pine nut/basil pesto with a side of grilled asparagus... it's going to be NOMMY!

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Last night I made the Sautéed Dijon Chicken With Peaches again, I had made it a few weeks ago - it really is that gooood!! You would kind of expect it to be sweet, with the peaches, but it really isn't.

sauteed-dijon-chicken-with-peaches.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Krikit, Eggspectations is a good restaurant! Its super pricey (like 4 dollars for a itty-bitty glass of OJ, but freshly squeezed OJ!). There is one in Columbia that's awesome with wonderful service if you are interested ;)

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Timeline

krikit, if you have an Aldi's near where you are living check there for the kielbosa - that is where I got it. They don't always have it but do quite often and I believe most of their stores carry somewhat the same items. They are German owned so there are a lot of European type foods available.

Tonight we're having eggplant parmigiana (frozen, though,not made from scratch), with pasta and a tossed salad with cucumbers and tomatoes. The eggplant parmigiana also came from Aldi's and it's pretty good.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Thanks Kathryn.

Last night's soup and salad was pretty good, actually. But I'm really getting sick of cookies. lol. Oh. And it's pretty hard to make a pasta salad inedible but they managed to do it. My husband noticed that everyone else left it on their plates also. lol. I say that the buyer should be forced to eat the stuff before they serve it to the people. <_<

I started to think that I should make something, instead, so I went to the store and bought all the ingredients to make a nice chicken curry. Did you know that basmati rice now comes in microwaveable bags? :o Anyway, my husband said the soup and salad would be fine so I froze the chicken for some other time.

It's BBQ Night tonight. They are having pulled pork, vegetarian baked beans, corn bread, and salad. Plus, I bet you they'll have cookies!!! I'lll give it a go.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

so for dinner today I am planning on making pork sandwiches... so I threw the frozen pork loin chops in the microwave and went to have a shower.. I came down and I can smell the unmistakable smell of cooked pork... grrr.. I guess I didn't turn the dial far enough to defrost ... grr... they weren't totally cooked through and I threw them in the brine anyways.. hopefully they will turn out ok...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Husband said that grilled cheese I made was the best sandwich he has ever had... he was still talking about it today. :lol:

Tonight is a vegetarian lasagna I made the other day with some meatless boca crumbles. So it's like... meat without the meat.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know if anyone has tried these before but they are really good and perfect for hamburgers etc., Nature's Own sandwich rounds.. They have no artificial flavours or colours and no HFCS..

we had them today with our pork sandwiches... mmm yum! the whole sandwich was yum!!

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.