~PalmTreeGurl~

Chevy aveo making a sound

54 posts in this topic

There are a range of things it could be: transmission but you would probably feel some sort of clunking when changing gears. Bearings may need some grease. Drive shaft or even a stuck park brake (Emergency brake) since people don't seem to engaged those here, hence screwed up transmissions.

Do you come to a complete stop when you are changing gears?

Do you use the park brake before putting the gear into P?

Do you have a lot of potholes in the area that could have loosened something?

Edited by Constellation

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at this autozone site. May help you diagnose the problem.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinf...troubleShooting

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Front wheel drive so it could be a damaged or worn CV -Shaft.

We had a similar problem on a new accord. Funny story about that but I wont go there. My wife wasn't too impressed. Lets just say I bottomed out the car doing dukes of hazard style driving.

Edited by Constellation

Filed: Timeline

my mustang was making a weird noise but only when giving it some gas. anyways I took it in and there was a small leak in some hose. they fixed it and it stopped making the noise. it was really cheap and didn't take long. i know the cars aren't anywhere near the same, but it could be something just as simple for you too.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

if it increased under acceleration & goes away on decel, its a moving part. ie bearing inside alternator, ps pump, idler bearing, belt tensioner....it could even be a seal on something moving has dried out..ie cam or crank seal. hell i've even heard belts whine or cherp...but that is usually on decel or at idle.

what ever it is. next time do not wait a month to get it checked out.

7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Difficult to describe a whine over the net, or even over the phone, typical to put the vehicle on a lift with the wheel hanging and run the engine, using a stethoscope to determine the source. As sound travels seven times faster through metal, takes skill to do this.

Your are thinking about your transmission, is it a five speed or an automatic? In either case, unless you really rod your car or with an automatic, step on the brake and gas pedal at the same time that really generates a lot of heat in the torque converter that can cause severe damage. But your AT fluid will be burnt in this case.

Regarding warranty, probably good it's happening now, at 36K you are dead and stuck with it. On my 04 Cavalier, both upper strut thrust bearing went out at 200 miles past the warranty, got a bit perturbed when my dealer laughed because it was out of warranty. But I got new ones for twenty bucks each and said I would change them myself. When I removed the old thrust bearings, I popped the upper race, the balls inside were never lubricated. I got rusty balls!!

The lower race was loaded with pits, but true, the upper races were both 0.040" out of round, I put those in my vise and trued them up, the upper races were never tempered! Doing a net search on this problem many others had the same problem. But they did last 36,200 miles. I popped open the new bearings, not enough grease in there to hold the hair down on a fly, so I packed them with grease, and this time the upper races were tempered, so don't feel I will have this problem again soon.

Also have seen hub bearings greaseless, but lubricated for life whatever in the hell that means. All I can say is that GM went bankrupt, probably explains why. I suspect your hub bearing are going with that whine, but only speculation, would know in matter of minutes what the problem is. Get it looked at quick, a whine ends up in a seize, and that can be dangerous, can you really sue a bankrupt company?

That my friend is why you stay away from GM products and you never again will buy a GM car or truck.

I can say that about any vehicle including Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, and Honda. In engineering, we have three general grades, consumer, industrial, and military, our vehicles fall in the low consumer quality class.

Why did I buy a Cavalier? Was a $16,400 car I purchased new for $7,000.00 even after all rebates, loyalty, and my GMcard, at that price, was worth the risk, actually my wife and I really like that car, quiet, comfortable, great AC and a heater, and very good fuel economy. We have 60K on it now, and those strut bearings was the only problem, probably why GM quit making it. Cobalt is #######.

Still kept my 92 DeVille, still looks and drives like new, but any Caddy made before or after that year is #######. Japanese were doing a very good job in the 80's to gain a market here, today, they are #######. Just once in a great while, they screw up and make a decent car. Ford is really coming around recently, but until about five years ago, everything they made was #######.

timing chains go out a about 50 to 60k. put put pedal the floor die engine
On Aveo, recommendeded 60K--but will do up to 75 (I got mine changed at 65K at Mr. Tyre two years ago--I did own an Aveo then)

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Still kept my 92 DeVille, still looks and drives like new, but any Caddy made before or after that year is #######. Japanese were doing a very good job in the 80's to gain a market here, today, they are #######. Just once in a great while, they screw up and make a decent car. Ford is really coming around recently, but until about five years ago, everything they made was #######.

Wow. In the history of Cadillac, 1992 was the only year they made a good car? And Ford only made ####### from the early 1900's until 5 years ago? Interesting.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

if it increased under acceleration & goes away on decel, its a moving part. ie bearing inside alternator, ps pump, idler bearing, belt tensioner....it could even be a seal on something moving has dried out..ie cam or crank seal. hell i've even heard belts whine or cherp...but that is usually on decel or at idle.

what ever it is. next time do not wait a month to get it checked out.

Yeah, if it sounds like a high pitch squeak, it could be belt slip.

Why did I buy a Cavalier? Was a $16,400 car I purchased new for $7,000.00 even after all rebates, loyalty, and my GMcard, at that price, was worth the risk, actually my wife and I really like that car, quiet, comfortable, great AC and a heater, and very good fuel economy. We have 60K on it now, and those strut bearings was the only problem, probably why GM quit making it. Cobalt is #######.

Hey don't mock the cavaliers as the wife had one with over 200,000 miles on it and it was running without an issue. No oil leak or burning. Engine and tranny had never been rebuilt. Started on one crank. The shocks seemed to go on the car too though. It actually felt like a low rider. I have never seen or heard of a 4 cyl clocking that many miles without an issue. My wife religiously serviced the car.

Cars are a waste of money anyway. I also cannot stand dealing with car dealers and their bullshit. It's hard to find an honest dealer.

Edited by Constellation

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Wow. In the history of Cadillac, 1992 was the only year they made a good car? And Ford only made ####### from the early 1900's until 5 years ago? Interesting.

What you want clarification? comments were related to daily drivers, not antiques although in my road salt neck of the woods, that 92 DeVille is definitely an antique, difficult to find any vehicle around here made prior to 2001. With Ford, under the direction of Henry Ford I, the quality was always high until he died in 1948, plenty of Fords can still be found dating back to the original Model T, finding GM or Chrysler cars during that era is next to impossible. But in 1949 ushered in the Detroit rust years, can't sell new vehicles if they last, most would be rusted out before the 36th car payment, that went on until around 1988 when competition from the Japanese became noticable to Detroit. Ford and GM started to attack the rust problem, but introduced new mechanical problems, can blame the EPA on this as new regulations were coming out with each model year. Ford was notorious for poor aluminum head engines, AXOD transimissions that were made for a moped, and Teflon AC compressors and quick couplers that would leak out the refrigerant before the one year AC warranty went out.

Caddies in the 80's under that CEO were Chevy's with Caddy name plates loaded with new EPA emission standards electronics that were of constant problems. In 91, finally built a Caddy engine with cast iron, did have an aluminum jacket, but pills were required to keep the coolant in, but very reliable with simplified electronics. In 94, stainless steel was replaced with plastic and that infamous troublesome Northstar engine know for underhood fires.

Was told that I own part of GM today, but so far, no one asked me or anyother engineer that was laid off how to build a decent car. More and more components each year are of the throwaway kind, difficult to fathom in the time when landfills are being overcrowded with junk, none of the components are rebuildable they way they use to be. At this rate, the entire vehicle will be throwaway.

And why doesn't the IRS let us deduct transportation expenses to and from work. Without that work, we couldn't pay any taxes. Very unfair.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I realized that i hear the sound when the AC is on and I accelerate. How interesting! I wonder if it needs freon or something of that sort? Anyways, :blush: I just found out the dealership in front of my apartments is a GMC! So I'll drop it off after work. Im covered bumper to bumper so I hope to get this fixed!

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

I realized that i hear the sound when the AC is on and I accelerate. How interesting! I wonder if it needs freon or something of that sort? Anyways, :blush: I just found out the dealership in front of my apartments is a GMC! So I'll drop it off after work. Im covered bumper to bumper so I hope to get this fixed!

Belt

Maybe it needs air in the tires. Or the muffler bearings may need grease.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015