rmncm

Joining the US Military, do you have to give up forign citezenship?

9 posts in this topic

My wife has a friend from the Philippines and she is here on a cr1 visa and she is thinking of joining the US Armed Services (Army I think)

She asked the recruiter and he didn't know this and asked my wife to ask me, Does she give up her Philippine citizenship when she takes the Oath to join the military? I looked on the army web site and I found this, it's not very helpful.

"You cannot join the U.S. Army unless you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or have a green card. You can only get a green card if you live in the United States for 5 years or marry a U.S. citizen. In order to move to the United States you have to get a resident card. You can obtain a resident card by first getting a job in the U.S."

I found this on the uscis web site but I cant seem to find the info either.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

Any one have any idea?

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

Filed: Timeline
My wife has a friend from the Philippines and she is here on a cr1 visa and she is thinking of joining the US Armed Services (Army I think)

She asked the recruiter and he didn't know this and asked my wife to ask me, Does she give up her Philippine citizenship when she takes the Oath to join the military? I looked on the army web site and I found this, it's not very helpful.

"You cannot join the U.S. Army unless you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or have a green card. You can only get a green card if you live in the United States for 5 years or marry a U.S. citizen. In order to move to the United States you have to get a resident card. You can obtain a resident card by first getting a job in the U.S."

Any one have any idea?

You do not have to give up your Philippine Citizenship to join the US ARMY, since my husband in the US ARMY as a permanent residence and he had a Philippine passport at the time.

You do have to take an oath to defend the Constituiton of the United States. Now what the Philippine rules are when it's citizens join foreign armed services is another question.

Hmm well one question turns into other questions...go figure. I still cant give a defenitive answer!

04-12-08 Married

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

Filed: Timeline
Hmm well one question turns into other questions...go figure. I still cant give a defenitive answer!

The answer is NO nga... pero call the Philippine embassy and see what limitations if any, a person as a "Philippine citizen" has if they join a foreign Armed Services.

You are inquiring the wrong county....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ironically, if the people of the Philippines voted to become a state after the USA gave them the opportunity shortly after WW II, you wouldn't be asking that question as all the people in that country would be USC. Just a tidbit of their history.

But to get a definitive answer to your question, just call the Philippine consulate. I heard as even a third generation natural born citizen of the USA, Italy still wants me back due my Italian roots, and verified that with a phone call, come back Nick, we need you! Don't think I will do that, way too much family here, but nice to know another country wants me.

Can only wonder if the USA would give the Philippines an opportunity again to be a state. But unlikely, too many powerful American Corporations went there not only to take advantage of cheap labor, but to pollute the hell out of that country. I do not feel that is right.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Any one have any idea?

The duty in the USAF is a whole lot easier. There are a lot more USAF careers that translate to civilian careers too. There isn't much demand for tank drivers and convoy leaders in civilian life.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Any one have any idea?

The duty in the USAF is a whole lot easier. There are a lot more USAF careers that translate to civilian careers too. There isn't much demand for tank drivers and convoy leaders in civilian life.

Accually this woman has a very specialized career and the Army is the only armed service that has this job. Matter of fact they supply the Navy,USMC and USAF with all their job requirments. Unfortantly for this woman, the USA doesn't accept the BA she has in the Philippines so her only option is to enlist as a private, spend a year, get her USC (1 year of service gets you your citizenship) while she does this, she will work toward getting her credentials up to par (the testing is going to cost over $5000) and then apply for OCS (Officers Canidate School)

I guess she will just have to join and wait and see if they will take it away from her.

04-12-08 Married

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

You would have to check with your country actually.

For example, an USC has this to contend with:

POTENTIALLY EXPATRIATING ACTS

Section 349 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1481), as amended, states that U.S. citizens are subject to loss of citizenship if they perform certain specified acts voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. citizenship. Briefly stated, these acts include:

obtaining naturalization in a foreign state (Sec. 349 (a) (1) INA);

taking an oath, affirmation or other formal declaration to a foreign state or its political subdivisions (Sec. 349 (a) (2) INA);

entering or serving in the armed forces of a foreign state engaged in hostilities against the U.S. or serving as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer in the armed forces of a foreign state (Sec. 349 (a) (3) INA);

accepting employment with a foreign government if (a) one has the nationality of that foreign state or (B) an oath or declaration of allegiance is required in accepting the position (Sec. 349 (a) (4) INA);

formally renouncing U.S. citizenship before a U.S. diplomatic or consular officer outside the United States (sec. 349 (a) (5) INA);

formally renouncing U.S. citizenship within the U.S. (but only under strict, narrow statutory conditions) (Sec. 349 (a) (6) INA);

conviction for an act of treason (Sec. 349 (a) (7) INA).

Source

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Any one have any idea?

Accually this woman has a very specialized career and the Army is the only armed service that has this job. Matter of fact they supply the Navy,USMC and USAF with all their job requirments. Unfortantly for this woman, the USA doesn't accept the BA she has in the Philippines so her only option is to enlist as a private, spend a year, get her USC (1 year of service gets you your citizenship) while she does this, she will work toward getting her credentials up to par (the testing is going to cost over $5000) and then apply for OCS (Officers Canidate School)

I guess she will just have to join and wait and see if they will take it away from her.

If she would stay enlisted, she could keep her Philippine citizenship from the American point-of-view (I don't know about the Philippine regulations). But as an officer, she will have to give up her Philippine citizenship. I have a friend who joined the Air Force as an officer and the military wanted proof that she had officially renounced her former citizenship and was an American citizen only. Unfortunately I couldn't find any information about this online. She should contact a recruiter and get any information concerning this in writing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.