bobb

USPS - Aargh!!

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I had sent three previous flat rate Priority Mail packages to Luba and each time they took from 2 weeks to 3 tops to arrive. In mid-May I sent her all the applications (completed and only needing her signature, except DS-156k), affidavit of support, documentation of a relationship, etc.

Her interview is June 23rd and she had not received the package shipped USPS by June 8 - a little over 3 weeks after I sent package. I could not take the chance the package would not arrive in time. I obtained a new notary on a duplicate I-134F and re-sent everything from my copy I had originally made. I also had to make a new copy for me. No DHL available from where I live so had to send UPS - $121. It is supposed to arrive June 15th. She has still not received the USPS package and it is now 4+ weeks.

The only difference in the most recent USPS shipment was to not use the Flat Rate envelope (around $13). I used the slightly larger glossy paper envelope ($27), with the more detailed customs form. The package was only 1 lbs 2 oz. Maybe I should have sent it Express instead of Priority by USPS.

Not a big deal - $121 extra + notary is an insignificant amount in the entire process from first meeting to this point.

Timeline:

17 Nov 2008 - Sent I-129F to CSC

19 Nov 2008 - NOA1

03 Apr 2009 - NOA2 approval (email)

09 Apr 2009 - NVC received

13 Apr 2009 - Sent to Embassy

23 Jun 2009 - Interview date USEM - Posted USEM website 30 Apr 2009

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I had sent three previous flat rate Priority Mail packages to Luba and each time they took from 2 weeks to 3 tops to arrive. In mid-May I sent her all the applications (completed and only needing her signature, except DS-156k), affidavit of support, documentation of a relationship, etc.

Her interview is June 23rd and she had not received the package shipped USPS by June 8 - a little over 3 weeks after I sent package. I could not take the chance the package would not arrive in time. I obtained a new notary on a duplicate I-134F and re-sent everything from my copy I had originally made. I also had to make a new copy for me. No DHL available from where I live so had to send UPS - $121. It is supposed to arrive June 15th. She has still not received the USPS package and it is now 4+ weeks.

The only difference in the most recent USPS shipment was to not use the Flat Rate envelope (around $13). I used the slightly larger glossy paper envelope ($27), with the more detailed customs form. The package was only 1 lbs 2 oz. Maybe I should have sent it Express instead of Priority by USPS.

Not a big deal - $121 extra + notary is an insignificant amount in the entire process from first meeting to this point.

The problem is not with USPS (you can probably track it until it gets to Russia) but with the Russian post. I've sent several boxes of clothes, etc lately via USPS and it's generally 2 weeks. And the price was not too bad, about $70 for a box that was at least 3x larger than the largest Flate Rate box USPS offers.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
yes 2 to 3 weeks is the norm for usps,and 60-70 is what i pay as well.

Ditto here, or is that tritto... Last box was 49 bucks and it took 1 day shy of 3 weeks to get there.

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I always use FedEx. Expensive but only takes about 3-5 days (depending on which service I choose) and has online tracking.

In the grand scheme a minor bump in cost.

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

I have found that USPS to Chelyabinsk oblast takes about a month. Once, a package took TWO months to get from there back to U.S. Irina tried to send the signed G-325A and supporting documents for I-129F application with express airmail specified and the envelope still took over one month. In the meantime, we gave up and she sent another copy by PonyExpress/UPS -- I had it on my doorstep 3 or 4 days later. I have found no such way to send anything there quickly. FedEx, DHL, and UPS either say they don't deliver to her town or else quote a delivery time of 2 weeks or longer. It seems like they could partner with Pony Express in the reverse direction but apparently that does not happen.

:wacko:

Thank god for the internet, cellphones and text messaging - bringing worlds closer!

05/04/09 -- K1 visa, NOA-1

09/18/09 -- K1, NOA-2

01/26/09 -- Interview passed in Moscow

03/02/10 -- POE, JFK airport

05/23/10 -- Wedding!

11/16/10 -- 2-year green card approved

04/01/13 -- 10-year green card approved

11/23/13 -- N-400 mailed

She will probably get both packets on the same day. The first packet you sent is probably sitting in the post office right now and when the second arrives, they'll say, "well, I guess this guy is serious, let's go ahead and take them to her."

Of the stuff we've sent, sometimes it takes two weeks, sometimes it takes two months. You never know. If you want to ensure it gets there on time, FedEx is the way to go.

If she doesn't get the stuff in time, you can always postpone the interview.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

you can always postpone the interview.

Noooo!!

That will not be an issue, I am going to hand deliver all the supporting documents for her interview when I see her next month. Guess I should start looking at that affidavit of financial support.

05/04/09 -- K1 visa, NOA-1

09/18/09 -- K1, NOA-2

01/26/09 -- Interview passed in Moscow

03/02/10 -- POE, JFK airport

05/23/10 -- Wedding!

11/16/10 -- 2-year green card approved

04/01/13 -- 10-year green card approved

11/23/13 -- N-400 mailed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Bobb- what a pain! I hope it gets sorted out. Are you gonna send it by FedEx now? I like Slim's quote about the 2 pkgs at the post office and "this guy must be serious..." (very accurate image of what may happen!)

I second Steve S-

Thank god for the Internet, calling, texting ,etc.

Edited by chili74

February 3, 2005. Applied for K-1.

July 14, 2005. Email to NVC congressional unit

Nov 2, 2005. Letter to congressman

Nov 8, 2005. Letter from congressman

December 19, 2005. Visa interview in Moscow. (250 days at NVC)

January 27, 2006. POE: JFK.

April 8, 2006. Wedding in USA.

April 19, 2006. Apply for AOS.

July 12, 2006. AOS Interview.

February 26, 2008. Letter to congresswoman.

March 19, 2008. Conditional Permanent residence began!!

2009: Wake up and get on the uscis train again - lifting conditions

Dec 21, 2009. Eligible to apply to remove conditions

February 2010: 10-yr Green Card Received

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We almost always send large envelopes (important papers) to Russia via USPS' Global Express, and it seems they almost always arrive in about 7 days. You may want to check into this next time. Also, when shipping from Moscow to the U.S., we tend to use UPS - it's lower priced than when originating it here, and it takes only a few days to arrive.

from Andrew

Timeline

UPS arrived today - on-time. Nothing yet from the USPS shipment. Sorry Slim, but your scenario is not possible unless UPS gives their packages to the local post office, which I doubt. I did a check at FedEx - same shipment would cost $2 more and they say it would arrive in 3 days with Fedex Int'l Economy, but they also note the destination is outside their primary pickup/delivery area. So it could take a week also. The FedEx site wouldn't let me use the 'letter' packaging, where UPS did. Don't know if that added to FedEx estimate or not.

I can see where using UPS to only Moscow is efficient. My UPS package was in Moscow two days after I sent it.

Now we have a Skype session for tomorrow evening after she has reviewed all I've sent. I'm sure there will be questions. It's hard to answer the questions before she has the information in front of her. Her good friend and English teacher will also be in the Skype conversation.

Timeline:

19 Nov 2008 - NOA1

I think I skipped an S in there somewhere as I thought you had sent another package via USPS.

Glad to hear the UPS (only one S!) got there on time. I almost sent stuff via UPS last time but once I saw the cost, I said, "ah, we'll just wait a little."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Bobb- I did not realize you sent it by UPS! Glad it worked out.

February 3, 2005. Applied for K-1.

July 14, 2005. Email to NVC congressional unit

Nov 2, 2005. Letter to congressman

Nov 8, 2005. Letter from congressman

December 19, 2005. Visa interview in Moscow. (250 days at NVC)

January 27, 2006. POE: JFK.

April 8, 2006. Wedding in USA.

April 19, 2006. Apply for AOS.

July 12, 2006. AOS Interview.

February 26, 2008. Letter to congresswoman.

March 19, 2008. Conditional Permanent residence began!!

2009: Wake up and get on the uscis train again - lifting conditions

Dec 21, 2009. Eligible to apply to remove conditions

February 2010: 10-yr Green Card Received

Timeline

Luba sent me the private invitation for my visa last week by Global Express Mail. It took 6 days to arrive. It was about 3 weeks from the time Luba went to OVIR to fill out the paperwork for my private invitation until she received it.

After she finally saw everything I sent her she is now calm about her upcoming interview. She now knows she has everything she needs for the interview.

Timeline:

19 Nov 2008 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.