goldie

HELP, REQUEST OF EVIDENCE FOR DIVORCE UNTIL JULY 20!

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

I don't know what to do, so closed to get my divorce, in 3 days my 1 year separation is over and I can file for divorce, but i am afraid I dont have enough time to submitt the divorce papers until july 20!! To go to court and get the divorce is not that fast....and my ex might even ask for an extention.... the letter from immigration sates, if I dont submitt the evidence, I will be put in removal... oh my God.. and I have built up a life here with my little daughter.... any ideas or advise what I could do? Thanks so much....

K1 TIMELINE

2/10/2006 I-129f sent to TSC

2/13/2006 they received it

2/16/2006 guess it was fowarded to CA, so they got it that date

2/21/2006 check finally cashed

2/23/2006 NOA1 received

5/01/2006 NOA2

5/30/2006 e mail from CSC: petition was requested for review!! ????

5/31/2006 another e mail reply: petition was approved but has not been fowarded yet

6/15/2006 finally!!!! Petition received by NVC!

6/16/2006 left NVC

6/22/2006 US Embassy in Bern, Swiss rec'd petition

6/28/2006 rec'd paket 3

6/29/2006 sent paket 3 back

7/13/2006 got interview date!!

7/27/2006 Interview! APPROVED!!!!! YEAH!

9/18/2006 Planed flight to Raleigh/ NC........

11/18/2006 WEDDING DAY!

AOS

12/14/2006 AOS receipt date

01/18/2007 Biometrics in Charlotte

01/16/2007 Sent additional information (proof of income, ect) for AOS

01/29/2007 Case has been transfered to CSC ( in order to speed up processing.....)

02/17/2007 E mail from CSC... they received case...!!!??? (wooow....long journey..)

02/26/2007 E mail notification: Card production ordered! YEAH!

02/27/2007 E mail notification: Notice mailed welcoming the new resident!!GRATE!and without

interview!!!!!

03/04/2007 GREENCARD IN MAIL, YEAH!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

goldie,

Is the deadline for submission of your I-751 July 20, 2009?

I don't know what to do, so closed to get my divorce, in 3 days my 1 year separation is over and I can file for divorce, but i am afraid I dont have enough time to submitt the divorce papers until july 20!! To go to court and get the divorce is not that fast....and my ex might even ask for an extention.... the letter from immigration sates, if I dont submitt the evidence, I will be put in removal... oh my God.. and I have built up a life here with my little daughter.... any ideas or advise what I could do? Thanks so much....

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline
goldie,

No, its more complicated.. I sent the I-751 last december, then got a extention for a year after acceptance. They accepted it even thought I had only the official separation agreement and not the final divorce, because in NC you have to wait one year for divorce. So I thought all is fine and I got enough time within the year to get my divorce. But then I kinda "woke up" the sleeping lions, because I didnt get an appointment for my daughter for going to Biometrics like i did and I called service center about it because I payed for my daughters Biometrics as well and her card expires in july... well, they couldnt help me and sent me for an infopass appointment but they coulldnt help me eighter and just informed the USCIS... I hoped to get finally the appointment for my daughter to get her Biometrics and extension letter as well, but no.... all I got was this awfull letter where they write me, "Request of evidence" the final divorce is missing and I have to submitt it latest by july 20 or I will be put under removal... no word about my daughters situation..... it sucks... and I am scared...... it is not my fault that NC has a year separation time! And is not my fault eighter that my soon to be ex was a complete jerk! Am sorry..........thanks

K1 TIMELINE

2/23/2006 NOA1 received

5/01/2006 NOA2

5/31/2006 another e mail reply: petition was approved but has not been fowarded yet

6/16/2006 left NVC

6/28/2006 rec'd paket 3

11/18/2006 WEDDING DAY!

AOS

01/29/2007 Case has been transfered to CSC ( in order to speed up processing.....)

02/17/2007 E mail from CSC... they received case...!!!??? (wooow....long journey..)

02/27/2007 E mail notification: Notice mailed welcoming the new resident!!GRATE!and without

interview!!!!!

I can't remember your exact circumstances, so please fill in the blanks for me.

Did you send a waiver I-751 in December? If so, did you check box "d" only, or did you also check the box that indicates that you would suffer extreme hardship if removed from the USA?

Aliens are often under the impression that they can only mark one ground for a waiver, when in fact, they can use all that apply.

goldie,

No, its more complicated.. I sent the I-751 last december, then got a extention for a year after acceptance. They accepted it even thought I had only the official separation agreement and not the final divorce, because in NC you have to wait one year for divorce. So I thought all is fine and I got enough time within the year to get my divorce. But then I kinda "woke up" the sleeping lions, because I didnt get an appointment for my daughter for going to Biometrics like i did and I called service center about it because I payed for my daughters Biometrics as well and her card expires in july... well, they couldnt help me and sent me for an infopass appointment but they coulldnt help me eighter and just informed the USCIS... I hoped to get finally the appointment for my daughter to get her Biometrics and extension letter as well, but no.... all I got was this awfull letter where they write me, "Request of evidence" the final divorce is missing and I have to submitt it latest by july 20 or I will be put under removal... no word about my daughters situation..... it sucks... and I am scared...... it is not my fault that NC has a year separation time! And is not my fault eighter that my soon to be ex was a complete jerk! Am sorry..........thanks

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

Timeline
I can't remember your exact circumstances, so please fill in the blanks for me.

Did you send a waiver I-751 in December? If so, did you check box "d" only, or did you also check the box that indicates that you would suffer extreme hardship if removed from the USA?

Aliens are often under the impression that they can only mark one ground for a waiver, when in fact, they can use all that apply.

goldie,

Nope, I HAD to check only one! Before I tried to check to, included the extrem hardship one, but they have sent me the petition back with the remark, I can only check ONE..... so I decided to try the dirovce one, because I knew I will get it, earlyer or later... and I was lucky they accepted the petiton even without the final divorce.. well, guess not so lucky after all now.......

Thanks

K1 TIMELINE

2/23/2006 NOA1 received

5/01/2006 NOA2

6/16/2006 left NVC

6/28/2006 rec'd paket 3

11/18/2006 WEDDING DAY!

AOS

interview!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

A good choice would be to contact a divorce lawyer and explain that you need everything done lightning speed.

To file for divorce, you do not need to accumulate 1 year of separation, you can file any time.

Further, separation in lawyer language does not have to be from the time when you moved out.

You can claim that separation started from the time when you no longer shared bed and your relationship was hostile.

If your spouse chooses to delay divorce proceedings, at least you will be able to send USCIS a copy of accepted divorce petition and may be even a court date. USCIS may give you an extension, seeing that the divorce is in progress.

As the worst case scenario, if you start your divorce now, it will be completed by the time they place you in removal proceedings. Which means that when time comes for you to go in front of immigration judge - you will have a set of proper documents on your hands.

Good luck!

(and don't panic!)

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
A good choice would be to contact a divorce lawyer and explain that you need everything done lightning speed.

To file for divorce, you do not need to accumulate 1 year of separation, you can file any time.

Further, separation in lawyer language does not have to be from the time when you moved out.

You can claim that separation started from the time when you no longer shared bed and your relationship was hostile.

Unfortunately, the law is different in every state, and the OP is correct about divorce law in North Carolina.

The only two grounds for divorce in North Carolina are 1 year separation, or your spouse is insane (the insanity ground is available in most "no fault" states, but very rarely used). Separation cannot simply be when they were no longer sharing a bed. They must live in different residences. This is the law in North Carolina.

http://www.ncbar.org/public/publications/p...eSeperation.pdf

If your spouse chooses to delay divorce proceedings, at least you will be able to send USCIS a copy of accepted divorce petition and may be even a court date. USCIS may give you an extension, seeing that the divorce is in progress.

As the worst case scenario, if you start your divorce now, it will be completed by the time they place you in removal proceedings. Which means that when time comes for you to go in front of immigration judge - you will have a set of proper documents on your hands.

Good luck!

(and don't panic!)

This part I agree with, and it's certainly worth a try. :thumbs:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

rika60607 is correct about the fact that you would have a chance for the application to be adjudicated before the IJ in any removal hearing, and chances are all would be fine at that point, but for peace of mind in the meantime, it's worth a quick consult with an immigration attorney (familiar with waiver cases) to determine the best way to respond to the RFE on time so as not to trigger any removal action and to alert USCIS that failure to provide a copy of the decree is through no fault of your own.

"diaddie mermaid"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ouch! NC is strict!

I still would hope that it is possible in NC to file for divorce before the separation period is over.

Unfortunately, the law is different in every state, and the OP is correct about divorce law in North Carolina.

The only two grounds for divorce in North Carolina are 1 year separation, or your spouse is insane (the insanity ground is available in most "no fault" states, but very rarely used). Separation cannot simply be when they were no longer sharing a bed. They must live in different residences. This is the law in North Carolina.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Ouch! NC is strict!

I still would hope that it is possible in NC to file for divorce before the separation period is over.

Nope. Can't even file for the divorce until the 1 year separation is completed.

However, even though North Carolina is a "no fault" divorce state, it IS possible to force a legal separation with grounds, including abandonment, abuse, drugs or alcohol, and adultery. This is called a "Divorce from Bed and Board", though it doesn't actually terminate the marriage. There are advantages to seeking this sort of separation, including the loss of inheritance rights by the spouse who committed the injury.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
Ouch! NC is strict!

Nope. Can't even file for the divorce until the 1 year separation is completed.

However, even though North Carolina is a "no fault" divorce state, it IS possible to force a legal separation with grounds, including abandonment, abuse, drugs or alcohol, and adultery. This is called a "Divorce from Bed and Board", though it doesn't actually terminate the marriage. There are advantages to seeking this sort of separation, including the loss of inheritance rights by the spouse who committed the injury.

Yeah, you guys where all right about the 1 year separation. Today is exactly one year over with me, so the law sais it has to be 1 year and one day... so from tomorrow I could file, and I guess I will, even if I have to pay again alot of money to my lawyer, beacuse my ex will definitly not file, even though he still has to pay our health insurance of over $ 400 a month, and that should hurt.. oh well.. he wants to safe at least the expenses with the divorce... all I can hope now, is to receive the divorce decree withn the next 30 days, or my chances are over and I have to go to immigration court, I guess... crazy law.... but what to do... thanks for all your support!!!

K1 TIMELINE

2/23/2006 NOA1 received

5/01/2006 NOA2

6/16/2006 left NVC

6/28/2006 rec'd paket 3

11/18/2006 WEDDING DAY!

AOS

interview!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.