Sleepybears

I-134 document question

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

First of all, i'd like to tell you that i've scheduled my k-visa interview on 27Feb 2006! :)

I think i've already got all the documents ready. but i still have some questions about the i-134 supporting documents.

My fiance has mailed me the bank letter, employment letter and his stocks information to me. Is that enough? Do we also need his tax return? Do i also need anything my employer letter/tax return in HK?

Thanks a lot.

Sleepybears

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
First of all, i'd like to tell you that i've scheduled my k-visa interview on 27Feb 2006! :)

I think i've already got all the documents ready. but i still have some questions about the i-134 supporting documents.

My fiance has mailed me the bank letter, employment letter and his stocks information to me. Is that enough? Do we also need his tax return? Do i also need anything my employer letter/tax return in HK?

Thanks a lot.

Sleepybears

You should treat the I-134 as if it were the I-864 which you will need anyway when you do your AOS. Search the site for the I-864, this form actually does request 3 years of tax returns. You will only need a letter if you're the foreign (to US) fiance and you plan on self-sponsoring, although I don't see how it would hurt to show especially if you have substantial assets.

12/15/2005 - Sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center

12/17/2005 - VSC receives I-129F via express courier (day 1)

12/23/2005 - VSC officially sends out NOA1 stating receipt

01/05/2006 - Called the National Service Center and got NOA1 receipt number.

01/10/2006 - NOA2 received via USCIS website and email. VSC is blazingly fast! (day 22!)

01/20/2006 - Receive NOA2 via snail mail in Thailand

01/26/2006 - Bangkok Embassy confirms our case is in their system (day 38)

01/30/2006 - Dropped off checklist and doc's with embassy

01/31/2006 - Received email from embassy confirming our interview date 3/20/06! Woohoo! (day 43)

02/08/2006 - Received police report and packet 4

03/01/2006 - Medical Exam completed

03/20/2006 - Interview! (day 91)- SUCCESS!

03/21/2006 - Picked up VISA!

04/04/2006 - Fly to USA together to get officially married in US and to start our life there together!

04/07/2006 - Arrived at JFK, C received temp EAD stamp. Drove to MD to live!

04/20/2006 - Applied for SS Card in maiden name, received it 3 days later

05/12/2006 - Officially married in the US! (2nd ceremony)

05/15/2006 - US Reception

05/16/2006 - Applied for new SS card with married name - Applied for EAD

06/01/2006 - Applied for AOS I-485

10/27/2006 - EAD Approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

seriously i would be a little bit worries sinc eyou do not have at least last year's tax returns. i know some embassies are more difficult than others, for example in the philippines you absolutely must have 3 years tax returns and w-2's. it is not optional and many of the posters on VJ have said that other people having their interviews were denied because they only had one years worth of tax returns instead of the 3 years required.

I would beg your fiancee to snd you his taxes at least for last year AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. do not risk it. I am sure your fiancee would rather pay for express mail than wait another 4 ro 6 weeks.

but of ourse maybe your embassy is very easy, but i would guess it isn't

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2005-11-30

I-129F NOA1 : 2005-12-02

I-129F NOA2 : 2005-12-16

Left NVC : 2006-1-5

Manila recieved: 2006-1-11

Interview Date : 2006-5-16 - APPROVED

Enter USA : 2006-5-31

I gave Claudeth 3 years of my tax returns and the lady that did the pre-interview stuff made copies of them

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I gave everything from bank statments, wage slips, mortgage details as we bought a house in ireland 7 months ago. They just want to make sure he can support himself when in the states. Does he own any property? If so include any documents supporting this.

I gave Claudeth 3 years of my tax returns and the lady that did the pre-interview stuff made copies of them

I-751 - Removal of conditions

10-20-2008 - Sent package via usps - overnite mail

10-22-2008 - Package received and signed.

10-28-2008 - Cheque cashed

12-02-2008 - Biometrics in Boston

10-03-2009 - Transferred to CSV

10-04-2009 - 10 year GC on the way

I gave everything from bank statments, wage slips, mortgage details as we bought a house in ireland 7 months ago. They just want to make sure he can support himself when in the states. Does he own any property? If so include any documents supporting this.

I would definitely have 3 years of taxes ready. They request the 1040 and a W4. I just did this for my husband and these were very important to them at the embassy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Many thanks!!!

my fiance didnt mail it to me cuz we read the instructions and it says that we only need it if he's self-employed. and i actually asked the consulate in hk but the lady wasnt sure.

so ok i'll ask my fiance to mail them to me...luckily i didnt book my interview next week (they were fast!)

Filed: Timeline

eveghost,

No, W-4 is not requested, nor is it relevant. W-2 is.

Yodrak

I would definitely have 3 years of taxes ready. They request the 1040 and a W4. I just did this for my husband and these were very important to them at the embassy.

Sleepybears,

You are making the common error of thinking that the instructions for I-134 are the instructions for financial evidence required for a K visa - they are not. I-134 instructions are instructions for I-134 only.

There is additional financial evidence, above and beyond I-134 and its supporting documents, usually required for a K visa. Copies of tax returns are a popular item. Your visa application packet should contain a document titled something like 'Evidence That May Be Presented To Meet The Public Charge Provisions Of The Law', sometimes labeled either DS-2000 or OF-167.

Yodrak

Many thanks!!!

my fiance didnt mail it to me cuz we read the instructions and it says that we only need it if he's self-employed. and i actually asked the consulate in hk but the lady wasnt sure.

This may seem to be reasonable advice, and in general it doesn't hurt, but it can be inappropriate and cause unnecessary angst in many situations. Better to understand the financial requirements for a K visa, which are very subjective, giving the visa applicant flexibility that may be useful at the visa stage of the process. Also as a result of the subjectivity, details of the requirements can vary from consulate to consulate.

3 years of tax returns are no longer required by the USCIS for adjustment of status, 1 year will suffice. (Although, the sponsor can still present 3 years worth if it would be to their advantage).

Yodrak

You should treat the I-134 as if it were the I-864 which you will need anyway when you do your AOS. Search the site for the I-864, this form actually does request 3 years of tax returns. ....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.