AZKira

Do we need a lawyer for I-751?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm Canadian and my husband is American. We used a lawyer for the adjustment of status processing, and I am now on the two-year Green Card.

We'll need to do the removal of conditions in a few months. Our lawyer has retired, which got us thinking...

Do we actually need a lawyer to do the I-751? Have most people done it themselves with no problems?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You are asking this is a Do It Your Self site. You can figure out what the rest of the answers will be.

Start by reading the removal of conditions guide and FAQ.

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-re...conditions.html

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=751guide

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

in my opinion you don't need a lawyer..

you would have to do all the legwork anyways... like collecting the evidence etc..

I think a lawyer for this stage would just be a waste of money, specially if your case is pretty straightforward

mvSuprise-hug.gif

If your case is straight forward, and you have 4 hours to invest. Then go for it and do it your self. I applied for my self, since I do not have a couple of Thousand of $$$ to give to a lawyer. Anyway, even if you get a lawyer, you will be the one who will be doing the work anyway, when it comes to collecting the evidence , and the bills.

Good luck

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
I'm Canadian and my husband is American. We used a lawyer for the adjustment of status processing, and I am now on the two-year Green Card.

We'll need to do the removal of conditions in a few months. Our lawyer has retired, which got us thinking...

Do we actually need a lawyer to do the I-751? Have most people done it themselves with no problems?

I used a lawyer for the K-1 process because at the time, this whole process seemed so confusing to me. I'm the type of person that worries myself sick, and having a lawyer just made me feel more at ease. lol

Anyhow, my husband was the one who gathered everything for our AOS application and did all the work regarding it. I saw that it wasn't so difficult after all so this time around, I did the package myself for the I-751.

I used the guide which is posted here on VJ. It has very simple instructions and is easy to comprehend. The I-751 form is also not long and easy to fill out. I think you can do this process yourself. The most time-consuming part is gathering all of your evidence. However, in the guide it also gives you plenty of examples of what to send in. It shows you pretty simple step-by-step instructions on how to do this correctly. You really don't have to be a rocket scientist after all to do all this stuff yourself, hehe.

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The I-751 does seem pretty straightforward and the instructions posted on this site are clear. I think that we can do it ourselves. Thank you, everyone, for your comments and encouragement.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
:guides:

05/25/10 - N-400 package delivered in Phoenix, AZ

06/04/10 - Check cashed

06/10/10 - NOA received

06/16/10 - Case available online

06/17/10 - Case online showing RFE (Biometrics notice) sent on 06/16/10

06/21/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

07/08/10 - Biometrics appointment

07/07/10 - Walk in Biometrics

08/06/10 - Email / Text for for new case status: "Test and Interview"

08/09/10 - Interview Appointment letter received for 09/13/10

09/13/10 - Interview Approved!

09/13/10 - Same Day Ceremony! I am a US Citizen!

Hello:

The I-751 seems to be a straightforward form to complete. As someone already stated, please do read over the guides, as they will guide you through the whole process. I personally used the guides to process my wife's immigration from a K-3 to now getting ready to file the I-751. The I-751 seems to be the easiest process so far, as it basically is requesting the form, payment, a copy of the green card (see exceptions in the I-751 instructions) and evidence of your relationship. Granted, it takes time to gather it, but the forum and the guide direct you to examples of evidence, what worked, what didn't and different perspectives on the various outcomes of the process.

But I am going to venture a guess that the decision would be primarily a choice of comfort - some are more comfortable going with attorneys, so the final decision is up to you. But again, two things to keep in mind: 1) as stated earlier, this is a Do It Yourself website on Immigration, and 2) many people have filed I-751s themselves and done perfectly fine.

Safest bet: read the guides, see if you are comfortable with the idea of filing it yourself and make the decision, as it will give a good framework of what is required to file.

Best of luck in whatever decision you make.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.