MEDSHE20

K3 question

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I applied for a K3 for my husband, he is a foreigner living in China, we had to get married in Hong Kong because he is not a Chinese resident. He will have his interview in Hong Kong.

When he interviews for the K 3 in Hong Kong, if he doesn't pass, can we go back and apply for the

CR1 through Guz? Do we have to re-send the I130 all over again? Or go off the one we just sent? Thanks for any replies.

White slip (not a bona fide relationship)K1

Return to Washington 12-24-07

Married 2/23/2008 In Hong Kong

Filed K3 4/28/2009 (my husband had some issues with his Chinese visa)

CSC received May 1, 09

NOA1 May 6, 2009 (received in mail on 5-8)

Sent I29 May 9th, Received May 11th

NOA1 for I129 May 18th, 09

Received in mail on May 26th

I-130 Touch 8/14/2009, approved 9/1/09, 1129 touched 9-1,2,3, approved the 1st.

NOA2 for I-129 not received

Hong Kong Embassy received it on Sept 14th, 09

Packet 3 mailed out on Sept 22,09

I130 at NVC now

Received email Sep 23 about electronic processing for CR1

Packet 3 mailed on Sep 22, received on October 5th

Mailed packet 3 back 10-9 to Hong Kong, awaiting packet 4

Packet 4 mailed 10-15, Interview set for Nov 10th

In AP a little over a month

Got approval notice Dec 17th

Dropped passport off on 12-21

Received visa 12/24.

Flew to St Louis 12/29, now home.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I applied for a K3 for my husband, he is a foreigner living in China, we had to get married in Hong Kong because he is not a Chinese resident. He will have his interview in Hong Kong.

When he interviews for the K 3 in Hong Kong, if he doesn't pass, can we go back and apply for the

CR1 through Guz? Do we have to re-send the I130 all over again? Or go off the one we just sent? Thanks for any replies.

As the USC, you have not applied for a K-3.. you have submited a petition to determine eligibility for your alien spouse to apply for a visa in the future.

When the petition(s) is/are approved then you can decide which visa he will apply for. A K-3 interview occurs in the country of marriage (unless that country was the USA then it will be country of residence)...

A CR-1 visa can be applied for based on the currently submitted I-130, if approved (no refiling needed). However, success will depend on the reasons for the K-3 refusal (if it happens) .... if those "reasons" still exist, the likelyhood of a second refusal might aslo occur.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm in a similar situation. I am a US citizen. My wife is not a Hong Kong citizen but we got married in Hong Kong, and we're planning on applying for the K3 visa.

Quote: The embassy or consulate where you, the spouse of an American citizen, will apply for a K-3 visa must be in the country where your marriage took place.

I did a timeline search and noticed there were no cases of K3 visas in Hong Kong. Does anyone know whether or not the US Consulate General in Hong Kong performs K3 visa interviews? Or is it because nobody's tried for K3 in Hong Kong before? Everyone seems to have gone CR-1 in Hong Kong.

NVC Journey (Concise Version; See Timeline for Full)
2009-08-10 : Filed I-130 for CR1

2010-05-28 : Flight & POE; 1st Day as LPR
2012-04-04 : Filed to Remove Conditions

2012-10-15 : Received 10-Year Green Card
2013-06-05 : Filed N-400 for Naturalization

2014-01-14 : Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I'm in a similar situation. I am a US citizen. My wife is not a Hong Kong citizen but we got married in Hong Kong, and we're planning on applying for the K3 visa.

Quote: The embassy or consulate where you, the spouse of an American citizen, will apply for a K-3 visa must be in the country where your marriage took place.

I did a timeline search and noticed there were no cases of K3 visas in Hong Kong. Does anyone know whether or not the US Consulate General in Hong Kong performs K3 visa interviews? Or is it because nobody's tried for K3 in Hong Kong before? Everyone seems to have gone CR-1 in Hong Kong.

Yes, a K3 can occur in Hong Kong. You don't see timelines because no VJ members have posted any. Hong Kong cases are one of the few and rare reasons the K3 visa is only "virtually" obsolete instead of completely obsolete. Chances are, you're still better off with a CR1 instead though. Please see the guides.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.