immi_007

Do I need to replace my ssn card !!!

5 posts in this topic

hi VJ'ers,

Thank you for helping me with the process of becoming ''permanent resident''.

I wish everybody good luck with their process.

Good news !!! Yesterday i received the ''welcome notice'' dated 28th may.

It says that i will receive ''Green card'' in 3weeks time.

I am relieved now....i hope i shud get green card next.

Here i have a question:

On my ssn card ''it says work authorization required with dhs''.

I applied for ssn card on H-1B when i came to USA last year.

Do I need to replace the card ?

If yes, can i apply for ''Unrestricted ssn card'' with the documents(driving license,ead card,welcome notice) i have.

Thank you.

5th March 2009: Sent I-485, I-765, I-130 and I-131 packet

6th March: Uscis received packet

14th March: Received NOA1 dated 12th march

4th April: Biometrics for I-485 and I-765 (took 15 min)

23rd april: Received letter for initial interview for I-485 (interview on may 27th 2009)

28th april: I cud c my status online today about I-765&I-131(says:On 27th april card production ordered

and I-131 approval notice sent)

2nd may: Received AP (Advance Parole)

5th May: Received EAD(valid for 1 year)

27th May: Interview- AOS approved

28th May: I-485 (Card production ordered dated May 27th)

I-130 (Case received and pending)

4th June: Received I-130 approval notice letter(online status: case received and pending)

5th June: Welcome Notice dated 28th May

21st June: My online status updated for I-485 (card production ordered dated june 15th)

29th June: Atlast I received my ''PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD'' today valid for 2 years till may 2011

hi VJ'ers,

Here i have a question:

If yes, can i apply for ''Unrestricted ssn card'' with the documents(driving license,ead card,welcome notice) i have.

Thank you.

Yes you can and all you have to do once you get your green card is go to your nearest SS office and they will replace your card with one that dont have the "Not authorized to work" which means you now can work once you have your green card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
hi VJ'ers,

Here i have a question:

Thank you.

It is not big deal. You HAVE auhtorization and employers are not required to see your SSC, only the number. We ALL need work authorization anyway, even citizens have to show a birth certificate or passport to be authorized to work. FWIW, I lost my SS card in 1973 and haven't needed it since. I never replaced it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

You should replace it with a regular one. I've read of people running into trouble down the road with their employers when they get to the point of removing conditions. I guess the issue comes in when your green card is "expired" while waiting for the next one, and you don't have an EAD card, and your SS card says only authorized to work with EAD. It's kind of a prickish move on the part of the employer if they don't understand the situation, but I have read of it happening.

It's so easy to get a new one, and worth the time. My husband just got his replaced-I think he needed the actual GC.

24q38dy.jpg

It is not big deal. You HAVE auhtorization and employers are not required to see your SSC, only the number. We ALL need work authorization anyway, even citizens have to show a birth certificate or passport to be authorized to work. FWIW, I lost my SS card in 1973 and haven't needed it since. I never replaced it.

That's fair enough as a USC, however: (1) Foreign nationals are required to advise the SSA of any change in their immigration status (2) there is a distinct difference between a card endorsed "Valid for work only with DHS authorization" held by non-LPR aliens and a so called 'unrestricted' SSN card that citizens and LPRs have and (3) there's a difference between having authorisation and being able to prove such (to the satisfaction of the I-9).

The restricted card has the disadvantage that any employer you present it to is then required to ask to see a document from the DHS authorising you to work, obviously. If you're in removal of conditions and your conditional green card has expired, you are strictly unable to meet the requirements of I-9 because (1) the expired GC is no good and (2) the NOA 'extension letter' does not have a photograph allowing it to be used as a 'List A' proof (there was a recent thread about somebody who got stuck like this even though the NOA technically satisfies 'List C'). However, if you have an unrestricted social security card, that and any item from 'List B' (e.g. drivers license) can be used to satisfy the employment eligibility requirements without any hassle.

As it's free except for an hour of your time, can save you a whole load of hassle should you need to satisfy form I-9 while in RoC and also since you're required to anyway since your immigration status has changed, YES, you should get your card replaced. There's no rush, just head down there when you get the chance but make sure you do so eventually, it just makes life easier.

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.