Hugglebuggles

Skin Care in the USA

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So, growing up in my teenage years I had some troubles with my skin, like a lot of people. I have annoying combination, sensitive skin. So not only have I had to deal with acne, I've also had to deal with harsh products that dry out my skin or make me look like a lobster. A couple years ago I discovered Vichy's Normadern product line, which has quickly become a must have in everyday life. I love it, it makes my skin soft and flawless looking. However, I've recently realized that Vichy isn't sold in the state of Colorado... Upsetting! So now I have to go back to the drawing board. I was originally going to stock up on all the Vichy I could buy but for $30 a pop (day cream, night cream, face wash) It doesn't look like my stocking is going to go very far.

So to my Canadian girls in the USA, what do you use on your skin? What can you recommend? I'm moving from the humid Great Lakes region to the dry arid state of Colorado, so I'm expecting some dry skin issues, like I always do on visits. So I need- hydration, acne fighting powers, and something that will be mild on my sensitive skin. Am I looking for the impossible?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just recently switched my skincare because I knew that what I was using, Spectro Gel, isn't available there.

I bought this (at Winner's actually, but knew it was available on Drugstore.com) and it has been really amazing for my skin. I have combination, somewhat oily and acne prone skin... but did Accutane last year, so I get dry patches on occasion.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...amp;catid=21228

Well, I am really loving this stuff. It's all natural, paraben-free and has no harmful chemicals. My skin isn't really sensitive, so I can't comment on that.

What I also plan to do is check out Target and maybe try a couple new products and see what happens. I was so certain that if I switched off Spectro Gel, my skin would freak out and it totally didn't. I know that I have Accutane to thank for that I'm sure, but I also think that my skin is okay with new things, it just has to be the right thing.

My backfall is always Cetaphil. It works okay for me, but I find it makes my skin a bit dull... but it doesn't make me breakout, so that's always beneficial.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Well, any skin break outs I get are completely hormonal. Or, I break out if I sweat too much. I only use soap and water, and then a a light clinique moisturizer.

I used to use the vichy products you are speaking of in college and I loved them. I don't know how much cheaper you can get something of that quality though.

Most of the generic stuff at the drug store is pretty run of the mill. You m i ght be able to find a good deal on the Vichy stuff online though. Search around.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm using some Eucerin products that I bought in the US after reading the Skin Type Solution book (got it at our local library). Seriously, I've never read such a good book about skin care. The author suggests different products (some real cheap) depending on your skin type (you take the quiz to determine which of the 12 or so type you are). It sounds complicated, but it's real simple and I've never had better skin.

Timeline

I've always had skin issues myself... I've used Spectro Jel in the morning and Proactiv at night for years.... I bought a supply of Spectro at Costco before I moved, so still have a ton of it. I am sick of using Proactiv, but was worried about switching. I love their moisturizer, as it's oil free and won't clog my pores. I just bought Murad face cleaner at Sephora, but I haven't tried it yet. I read tons of good things about Murad skin care line, so I wanted to try it out. Plus I can buy it in the store and don't have to worry about ordering anything.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
I've always had skin issues myself... I've used Spectro Jel in the morning and Proactiv at night for years.... I bought a supply of Spectro at Costco before I moved, so still have a ton of it. I am sick of using Proactiv, but was worried about switching. I love their moisturizer, as it's oil free and won't clog my pores. I just bought Murad face cleaner at Sephora, but I haven't tried it yet. I read tons of good things about Murad skin care line, so I wanted to try it out. Plus I can buy it in the store and don't have to worry about ordering anything.

My brother has the worst acne ever and he uses Murad products and his skin is pretty much clear now. It has worked wonders for him. Good suggestion.

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you tried Ebay for your Vichy products? I use Guinot products which are available here but only downtown as far as I can tell... and you really only go downtown here if you work there or are a tourist... it's really a big hassle.. so I have been buying them on Ebay. And now that I have a US mailing address I am not discriminated against by any sellers on there :D

• 7/7/08 -- I-129f sent
  • 7/9/08 -- I-129f received at CSC
  • 7/24/08 -- NOA1 (finally!)
  • 12/2/08 -- NOA2 (WOOT!!!!)
  • 12/8/08 -- received at NVC
  • 12/22/08 -- packet 3 (with packet 4 attachment instead of checklist :P)
  • 12/29/08 -- packet 3 sent back with bits and pieces that I pulled together to make up a packet 3
  • 1/5/09 -- actual packet 3 received, but found out by via e-mail that they were satisfied with what I had already provided
  • 2/10/09 -- found out via call to DoS that my interview is scheduled!
  • 3/16/09 -- interview!!!! APROVED!!!
  • 4/7/09 -- MOVE!!!!!!!!
    Crossed at Detroit/Windsor Tunnel... pretty painless, about 45 minutes, inexperienced officer, asked for and received EA stamp
  • 4/13/09 -- Married in New Orleans!!!!!!!!
  • 5/30/09 -- Filed AOS/AP/EAD
  • 6/1/09 -- AOS etc received in Chicago

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I LOVE Vichy!!!

When I moved down here, I was using Acne-Free while we were living in NC. It worked awesome, and gave my skin a nice glow.

Once we moved out here to CA though, I think either they use a different version of Acne-Free here, or they changed the ingredients completely, because the stuff I used here broke me out in rashes and made my skin peel like crazy... it was really embarrassing. The cleanser even smelled different, so I definitely think they changed the ingredients.

So yeah, for sensitive or combination skin, I wouldn't recommend Acne Free.

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I now see that I can buy some Vichy stuff online, but they don't have everything I use. Checking ebay or amazon might be a good idea. I don't really have an acne problem now, my breakouts are extremely rare, but I've come to assume that I don't break out because of the Vichy line I use. Its quite possible that I've just grown out of the acne issues, but I've been scared to test the theory and change products. I don't really mind spending a good dollar on a nice product that works, but since I won't be working I'll have to rely on my dearest fiance to finance it... I'm not so sure he'd be too happy about dishing out $90 every month.

I think I'll buy that book you recommended La Souris, It will probably help me with a direction! I think I'll look into that Tangerine stuff too, I'd love something as natural as possible and it doesn't seem to expensive. I've thought about proactive, but I've heard its a little pricey and I've always just assumed it was something only people with really bad acne need. Does it have other benefits? Like taking care of uneven skin tones or dry patches?

Vichy is REALLY nice, I've been using that as lotion. I use Apricot cleansers (pretty cheap at Target), and I love Noxema. My husband used to have acne as a kid growing up and has sensitive skin, and he loves the noxema. I actually find my skin a lot better in the U.S. than it was in Canada. I was always dry as all get out in Ontario! :)

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Timeline

My brother has the worst acne ever and he uses Murad products and his skin is pretty much clear now. It has worked wonders for him. Good suggestion.

Oh really, good to know! I'll start the regime when I get back to PHL. I was on Tetracycline for the longest time, I had bad hormonal breakouts. I stopped it when I moved, I didn't want to take drugs anymore. I hate having skin issues, it sucks so bad. It affects how you feel and I just want beautiful, clear smooth skin!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I now see that I can buy some Vichy stuff online, but they don't have everything I use. Checking ebay or amazon might be a good idea. I don't really have an acne problem now, my breakouts are extremely rare, but I've come to assume that I don't break out because of the Vichy line I use. Its quite possible that I've just grown out of the acne issues, but I've been scared to test the theory and change products. I don't really mind spending a good dollar on a nice product that works, but since I won't be working I'll have to rely on my dearest fiance to finance it... I'm not so sure he'd be too happy about dishing out $90 every month.

I think I'll buy that book you recommended La Souris, It will probably help me with a direction! I think I'll look into that Tangerine stuff too, I'd love something as natural as possible and it doesn't seem to expensive. I've thought about proactive, but I've heard its a little pricey and I've always just assumed it was something only people with really bad acne need. Does it have other benefits? Like taking care of uneven skin tones or dry patches?

I was the same way.... My skin was good for years, so I figured I grew out of it. I stopped Proactiv, and it went right back to how it was. So I started to use it again. I don't think I'll ever grow out of it, I'm 29 :crying: I think it'll always be an issue for me.

I don't think Proactiv would help with dry patches, it actually made me a bit more dry that's why I can only use it at night, not twice per day.

Edited by JillA

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

Honestly, I had the worst skin, and it would sort of come and go and so I went on Accutane last year and it CHANGED MY LIFE. I'm not even exagerrating when I say that Accutane was one of the best things I ever did for myself. My dermatologist basically said that there are different kinds of acne.

Teenage acne is hormonal and affects mostly the forehead, chin and t-zone areas. I had this, and once I started University, it went away. She said Accutane will cure this too, but then if you get Adult Acne, you have to do it again.

Next is Adult Acne. She said there is a difference and it mostly affects the cheeks and some of the chin/forehead... I also had this. I had about 2 years where I didn't have acne probably at age 20-21, and it was because my teenage acne went away, and my adult acne hadn't really started yet. Well, then adult acne hit me and it was horrible.

I tried different skin care regimes, pills, creams. Nothing worked. Then I went to the Dermatologist who basically told me that the only thing that could cure adult acne would be trying out Accutane. I decided to go for it and I am so glad that I did.

The 5 months I was on it was pure torture (dandruff, crazy blackheads and I broke out like crazy) but basically it just pushed everything that was bad and under my skin to the surface. Once everything cleared the surface - I'm not even kidding the blackheads just popped right out on their own one day, it was awesome - then my skin was flawless. Once I went off Accutane I'd get a few whiteheads and blackheads here and there but its NOTHING like it used to be.

I'm a huge advocate for Accutane, I think everyone with acne should go on it. I'm seriously so much happier and confident now. Seriously, I would be their spokesperson. My skin isn't even perfect anymore, but it totally was for 6 months or so, and I'm still glad I did it. I actually get pimples now like a normal person, but giant mountains with their own freaking heartbeat anymore!!

As soon as I get another bad breakout, I'm going back on it. 80% of people who take Accutane go into remission for life on their first treatment. I think I'll need a second treatment in another year... but seriously, SO worth it. There are a few bad side effects and it is a lot of work - monthly blood tests, no drinking and absolutely NO getting pregnant. But I seriously can't explain how it changed my life. I regret not doing it sooner.

Oh and I used to back backne and chest acne and they are both flawless now.

Okay I'm going to go shout it from the rooftops now!

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
:lol: Shout it out!! I'm glad to hear it worked for you, Sapphire. I considered Accutane, but my doctor didn't think my skin was bad enough. To me, it was hell but everyone around me said it was just a few pimples, barely noticeable. Also my family was concerned about all the bad things they heard about it, like nosebleeds, dry mouth, dry skin, the pregnancy tests you have to take (not sure if that's true?) but I got scared off it. Also I heard it can cause serious depression and suicidal tendencies. So I went on Tetracycline instead, it did work well for me. It's an antibiotic though and I didn't want to be on it forever, so I just stopped it one day.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I can tell you, that when I lived in the southwest, I NEVER had to worry about my skin. Never had problems and I didn't use anything... just a nice rub down each night. THEN... omg... I move to the humidity capital of the world in the Great Lakes Area and I have skin problems galore.

Best suggestion as someone who comes from an arid area... go light. Something without lots of heavy gucky stuff. Stay light. That's my best recommendation. I actually found that although I tried to stay "light" here in the GL area, I actually had to go "heavy" in order for my skin to stop freaking out.

Just a suggestion..... I WISH I was moving back in the next couple of months, like you are. Enjoy!

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.