motu

Son over 21 - any options or ....

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

A friend of my wife´s from Colombia who has a 22 year old son, met someone who is planning to file a K1 for her. So, I was trrying to find out what options if any he (the son) has.

The way I understood the guides - Both the K2 and K4s are not for kids over 21. Which then would mean that once she comes here, gets married and gets her green card (see it can all be done in one sentence :lol:); she can then file for him as a green card holder (Permanent resident) under prefrence B - with a current wait time of 6 years! Or she can wait for 3 more years, file for citizenship and then petition for him and he would be eligible for immediate visa.

Am I reading this correctly or is there something else that can be done. Oh yes, he is not here in USA and so the scenario is pretty tough for the son in my opinion. Can any one confirm my understanding or let me know otherwise? Thanks all

Edited by motu

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If applying for a K2 the child MUST be under 21 and MUST be noted on the original I129f

K-1 visa timeline

May 23 06 Submitted I-129F to Vermont

June 19 06 Touched, States RFE mailed

June 23 06 Received I-129F RFE

June 24 06 Sent I-129F RFE

Nov 06 06 INTERVIEW

Nov 06 06 APPROVED

Nov 08 06 Visa in hand

Nov 17 06 to the U.S.

AOS Timeline

Feb. 14 '07 filed AOS,mailed I-485

Feb 23 '07 NOA1

Feb 27 '07 Bio appointment letter received

March 14 '07 Biometrics appointment

March 19 '07 application transferred to CSC

March 29 '07 case pending at CSC

May 19 '07 got appointment letter for 2nd Biometrics???

May 25' 07 received RFE for I-693 and immunization supplement...UUugggghh

Jun 1 '07 2nd biometrics appt.

June 9 '07 sent RFE back via USPS priority mail

June 12 '07 RFE received at Laguna Niguel

June 22 '07 received email saying CSC got our RFE and processing resumed on our case

July 7 '07another RFE for TB skin test

July 11 '07 sent RFE back

July 20 '07 case processing resumed per email from CRIS

July 24 '07 Email from CRIS...card production ordered!!

July 25 '07 received email saying letter welcoming new permanent resident was mailed

July 30 '07 GC in hand

Filed: Timeline
.. Which then would mean that once she comes here, gets married and gets her green card (see it can all be done in one sentence :lol:); she can then file for him as a green card holder (Permanent resident) under prefrence B - with a current wait time of 6 years! Or she can wait for 3 more years, file for citizenship and then petition for him and he would be eligible for immediate visa.

Am I reading this correctly ...?

Yes - she can petition son as PR, but waiting times, at the moment, for F2B are 10 years, Mexico 15. Where did you get 6 years?

Yes / No - she can also wait and petition (or even better petition as PR and upgrade) as USC, but that wouldn't mean immediate visa. Son would be in the category F1, meaning 6 years wait, or Mexico 14y, Phillippines 15y.

Timeline
Yes - she can petition son as PR, but waiting times, at the moment, for F2B are 10 years, Mexico 15. Where did you get 6 years?

Yes / No - she can also wait and petition (or even better petition as PR and upgrade) as USC, but that wouldn't mean immediate visa. Son would be in the category F1, meaning 6 years wait, or Mexico 14y, Phillippines 15y.

Thanks jula:

I went to the USCIS website and saw one of the lists - I am in Colombia with a slow dialup coinnection so I might/must have looked up the incorrect list. In any case I can let him know that the wait is in 6 to 10 years range and she can file for him as a LPR and then change it later on, but my gut feeling is that the son is really out of luck.

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

AOS

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Removal of conditions

April 16 Biometrics done

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

I hate to say it motu but that was my first thought when I saw the age of the son - kinda harsh. Is there any possibility he could apply for a student visa (he'd have to enrol and pay at a US college obviously) - its not an immigrant visa but he might be able to see his mom at least..

Other than that - she needs to get some legal advice about the options (for example I don't know if its possible for him to get a student visa WHILE his mother is petitioning for him even though it may take 10 years..)

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok here is the scoope..

he is aged out. I suggest if he has a father also coming to the USA to also petition him. Cause durning that time him mother is in the USA, and green card/ USC and she passes away, his petition dies along with it.

I think the processin date for over 21 childern is 1982 or so, I am not sure about that.

If she becomes a USC his petition jumps higher up but still a long wait.

Timeline

Thanks to all the replies - a student visa is really not that feasible - he has to learn bunch of English first and then he may or may not have the financial resources (I don´t know about the desire to study either!) I will pass it on to the people when I talk to them next. Again, Thanks for the inputs.

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

AOS

Removal of conditions

April 16 Biometrics done

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I believe the parent has to have held a GC for 5 years before they can naturalize. The quickest way to bring her son would be for him to find a job - providing he has good qualifications ie the equivalent of a degree.

For detailed timeline - click on my name - then read our story

Timeline

No jen

The mother can apply for citizenship after 3 years as long as she is married to the USC. Only a single parent has to wait for 5 years but then they would be getting the LPR through anopther means - not K1 etc.

My wife´s friend will be coming here on a K1 and so should have the green card in 6 to 8 months and then the citizenship etc. after 3 years plus.

Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

AOS

Removal of conditions

April 16 Biometrics done

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

.. Which then would mean that once she comes here, gets married and gets her green card (see it can all be done in one sentence :lol:); she can then file for him as a green card holder (Permanent resident) under prefrence B - with a current wait time of 6 years! Or she can wait for 3 more years, file for citizenship and then petition for him and he would be eligible for immediate visa.

Am I reading this correctly ...?

Could you please indicate where on the USCIS website you found those waiting times?

I have a friend from Romania, he just arrived in US after he won the lottery visa and he was granted immediately the permanent resident status. He wants to bring his 23 years old daughter from Romania.

He will petition her at Vermont and at this Service Center they currently process I-130 applications received on February 12, 2006.

Thank you!

Feb. 4/05 - Sent I-129F (Vermont)

Feb. 9/05 - NOA1

April 6/05 - NOA2

May 12/05 - Packet 3 (second one, the first was lost in the mail)

May 19/05 - Police certificate (RCMP London, ON)

May 20/05 - Packet 4 with interview set on July 26/2005

May 25/05 - Medical in Toronto (dr. Seiden)

July 26/05 - Interview in Montreal (successful)

Aug. 15/05 - Visa and the brown envelope in hand

Sept. 28/05 - Moved to the U.S.A. (Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) POE, asked for and got temp. EAD stamp on I-94)

Oct. 6/05 - Civil wedding ceremony

Oct. 8/05 - Religious wedding ceremony

Oct. 13/05 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

Oct. 14/05 - Applied for SSN

Oct. 22/05 - Received SSN card in the mail

Oct. 24/05 - NOA for AP received (issued Oct. 21)

Oct. 25/05 - NOA's for AOS/EAD received (issued Oct. 21)

Nov. 4/05 - Appointment letter for AOS fingerprints/bio for Nov. 15/2005

Nov. 15/05 - Fingerprints/bio taken for AOS and EAD

Dec. 19/05 - EAD/AP approved

Dec. 27/05 - Received EAD card/AP

Jan. 28/06 - Appointment letter for AOS interview (set on March 15, 2006)

Mar. 15/06 - AOS interview (successful)

Mar. 18/06 - "Welcome to the United States of America" letter

Mar. 25/06 - Received Green Card (good for 2 years)

Dec. 18/07 - Sent I-751 to VSC

Jan. 03/08 - NOA

Feb. 7/08 - Biometrics

Oct. 28/08 - I-751 approved (on-line status)

Nov. 3/08 - Received in the mail the new 10 year GC

Feb. 1/10 - Sent N-400

Feb. 8/10 - NOA

Mar. 24/10 - Fingerprints

May 11/10 - Interview

June 18/10 - US Citizenship Oath

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Could you please indicate where on the USCIS website you found those waiting times?

I have a friend from Romania, he just arrived in US after he won the lottery visa and he was granted immediately the permanent resident status. He wants to bring his 23 years old daughter from Romania.

He will petition her at Vermont and at this Service Center they currently process I-130 applications received on February 12, 2006.

Thank you!

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_2084.html

FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES:

Second : Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents:

B. Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older): 23% of the overall second preference limitation.

If I'm reading the chart on the link above correctly, it appears the processing date for F2B is currently 22 Aug 95 (excluding Mexico) for PRs. Unless the I-130 applications at Vermont specify that they are processing F2Bs on 2-12-06, that date wouldn't be applicable in this situation.

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you!

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_2084.html

FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES:

Second : Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents:

B. Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older): 23% of the overall second preference limitation.

If I'm reading the chart on the link above correctly, it appears the processing date for F2B is currently 22 Aug 95 (excluding Mexico) for PRs. Unless the I-130 applications at Vermont specify that they are processing F2Bs on 2-12-06, that date wouldn't be applicable in this situation.

How long it takes to have I-130 approved and how long it takes for a visa number to become available are two different things. If the beneficiary is not considered immediate relative for immigration purposes (is not child, spouse or parent of USC), he/she has to wait for a visa number. Since there are many more applications than number of visas that can per law be issued each year, there is a long waiting line.

I-130 could be approved in a few months or X years, but the beneficiary still has to wait for a priority date PD (date of filling I-130) to become current (showed in the Visa Bulletin uder that category), before he/she can start the second part (AOS or consular processing). NVC contacts petitioner a few months before PD becomes current.

At the link provided above, you can check what "priority dates" are current at the moment, or when I-130 was filed for the people who are getting their visas now.

If something is unclear, let me know.

Edited by jula

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.