sasaqlain

Marriage Certificate Certified Copy? How to get it?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I know its a silly question but I wanted to be sure. I am sure many of you have done it, so somebody would be able to guide me. Just for the record, our marriage was registered in New York. Now i read here, that We will be required to have certified copy of our marriage Certificate at hand during the I-485 interview. How do I obtain one? I checked the NY cityclerk websitet but wasn't sure how to go about it. Do we take our own copies of the certificate and get them attested there at the office or do they just release new copies of our license? The website stated that bureau is charging $15 for each copy. Just wanted to know if there is somebody who has an idea?

Also, I dont have an original Birth certificate at hand. That means no certified copy for it. I do have an official translation by our Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Would that be good enough?

Help appreciated!

Regards,

Edited by saspak

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If you have your marriage cert, make a plain old photo copy ans send that.

USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.

Thank You YuAndDan! Much obliged!! Another burden off my chest. Maybe this post will help others who are running after certified copies.

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Thank You YuAndDan! Much obliged!! Another burden off my chest. Maybe this post will help others who are running after certified copies.

Saspak,

The interview letter (I-797C, Notice of Action) I received says that a certified copy of marriage document issued by the appropriate civil authority is required. It says that you must bring it with you to the interview. I had to go to county admin office to get mine, and it cost about $13 or something like that. I'd say, go get it just in case. I know it's a pain to pay to get paperwork, but oh well. You probably need to go to the registrar's office or something in your city/county admin building. Good luck!

03/04/11 -- mailed I-751

03/07/11 -- I-751 received by USCIS (Day 1)

03/10/11 -- Notice of Action received (dated 3/7/11) (Day 4)

03/18/11 -- biometrics appointment letter received (dated 3/15/11) Scheduled for 4/5/11 (Day 12)

03/21/11 -- completed biometrics early! (Day 15)

04/19/11 -- got approved and card production ordered! (Day 44)

04/23/11 -- received 10-year green card in mail! (Day 48)

---

3/6/09 -- got married!

3/9/09 -- medical exam

3/13/09 -- got medical results back

3/14/09 -- mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 packets

3/16/09 -- packets delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 11:47 am and signed by R Mercado (Day 1)

3/23/09 -- Notice of Action received for I-485 and I-765 dated 3/20/09, but not for I-130 :( (Day 8)

3/24/09 -- Notice of Action received for I-130 at my husband's address (Day 9)

3/26/09 -- Notice of Action for biometrics for both I-485 and I-765 arrives! Scheduled for 4/8/09. (Day 11)

3/28/09 -- completed biometrics! 10 days early! (Day 13)

5/1/09 -- received an interview letter for 6/4! (Day 47)

5/5/09 -- EAD card production ordered! (Day 51)

5/11/09 -- EAD approval notice sent (Day 57)

5/14/09 -- received EAD card! (Day 60)

6/4/09 -- Green Card approved at interview and card production ordered! (Day 81)

6/10/09 -- Welcome letter received (Day 87)

6/13/09 -- I-130 approval letter received (Day 90)

6/16/09 -- Card production ordered (again???) (Day 93)

6/29/09 -- Green Card in hand! (Day 106)

Filed: Timeline

We got three certified copies made when we got married. They always seem to want that, everywhere you go, so have the county make you a few copies to have on hand. The Philippine Consulate needs to see a copy to get the wife's passport renewed. They wanted a copy at the AOS interview.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi,ansleis,noticed that today is yr interview day,wish you have a smooth expenrience :star:

Saspak,

The interview letter (I-797C, Notice of Action) I received says that a certified copy of marriage document issued by the appropriate civil authority is required. It says that you must bring it with you to the interview. I had to go to county admin office to get mine, and it cost about $13 or something like that. I'd say, go get it just in case. I know it's a pain to pay to get paperwork, but oh well. You probably need to go to the registrar's office or something in your city/county admin building. Good luck!

Marrige: 04/25/2009 in our favorite city: Las vegas

AOS PROCESS

CIS Office : Los Angeles CA

Date Filed : 2009-04-30 by UPS next day air,2009-05-01 signed by CHIBA

NOA Date : 2009-05-09 NOA1s I130,I485,I765 recieved,dated 05-05-09

RFE(s) : Please,no RFE

Bio. Appt. : 05-30-2009 notice recieved 05-18,it is done by 05-19,just went earlier

I485,I765 got touched by 05-20

I765 06-02,Card production ordered

06-03,I765 touched again"card production ordered"

06-08,I765 "Approval notice sent"

06-11,EAD card recieved in mail

Interview Date : 08-21-09 at 10:30 am

Approval : yes

Approved : 08-21-09 11:00 am

Got I551 Stamp : yes,made infopass and got the stamp at 08-27-09

Greencard Received:

Comments : fast.....pls fast.....

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline
I know its a silly question but I wanted to be sure. I am sure many of you have done it, so somebody would be able to guide me. Just for the record, our marriage was registered in New York. Now i read here, that We will be required to have certified copy of our marriage Certificate at hand during the I-485 interview. How do I obtain one? I checked the NY cityclerk websitet but wasn't sure how to go about it. Do we take our own copies of the certificate and get them attested there at the office or do they just release new copies of our license? The website stated that bureau is charging $15 for each copy. Just wanted to know if there is somebody who has an idea?

Also, I dont have an original Birth certificate at hand. That means no certified copy for it. I do have an official translation by our Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Would that be good enough?

Help appreciated!

Regards,

Hey saspak, when i got married they gave me the marriage license.... then after you get married the person who marries you fills it out... they give you a copy which is for you to keep and another one that you can take to the court house , we took it to the court house and they gave us a marriage certificate within 10 minutes they charged us i think $10 to $15 dollars . I don't know if you can go to a different courthouse and get it certified but just in case go to the one where you got your marriage license i hope this helps

May.29.2009 Got married!!!

July.22.2009 Sent our AOS paperwork I-130(g-325) and I-485(I-131, I-765, I-864, g-325)

July.28.2009 Immigration Received Paperwork

July.31.2009 Received NOA (I-130, I-765, I-485, I-131) and ASC Appointment Notice

August.27.2009 ASC Appointment (biometrics)

September.01.2009 Card production ordered

September.02.2009 Received Approval notice I-765

September.04.2009 Received Advance parole in the mail (I-131) =) yaaay i get to go home in December!

September. 11.2009 Received employment card :)

September.14.2009 Received Request to appear for initial interview

October.21.2009 INTERVIEW

Got approved that same day and i received my Residency Card 2 weeks later

Timeline

★PinK ButTerfLy★

Thank You for your reply. I did go to the CityClerk in Queens and got the license first. Then the same office issued the marriage certificate as well, which was mailed to me. I just wanted to know about how to get a copy certified. But YuAndDan's post makes sense. I'll simply show them the original and see if they'll accept a copy then and there.

ansleis, i just saw bellavita's post. You do have an interview today. I hope you were approved. Do share your experience with us and inform us as soon as possible. Hope to hear some good news from your side.

IR5 For Parent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.