amberlynn

Few tric to build credit....

31 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
It is the last thing I wanna do, beleive me.

I was not about luck for me, But being with RBC made everything very simple.

I look through many different possible way and to join a credit union was the second option...though it would'have taken longuer to establish credit It was an alternative to consider.

All this post is, is to give options to people in my situation, share what I had to go through to get to this. I no way I mean to give hope to the ones struggling to get to that point.

Please be advise that a REQUEST FOR A CC that is refused, automaticaly start your CREDIT. As it will be reported to all 3 agencies as a no hit, but will give you an actual file to look at.

I'm sorry if I missled anyone with this post as it was not my intentions.

Sorry.

Laurent

I'm going to have to differ here :lol:

With the RBC, in spite of our stellar credit in Canada - they wouldn't issue us a U.S. Visa card - they said we would have to do it here - well of course 'here' we were not employed (yet), so that wasn't an option. I would also like to say that my experience so far is that they make everything as 'unsimple' as they possibly can.

It all depends on who you talk to and what they decide is applicable on the day.

If you plan ahead a bit, establishing credit in the U.S. is easy. 1. Get the American Express Canada card as soon as you are even thinking about moving to the U.S. (so you can switch to a U.S. card via their global transfer) 2. Get a store credit card. JCPenny is about the easiest from what I have heard (and that was my experience).

Within a year, based on those 2 things - we both have excellent credit scores.

That said - as Treble mentioned - banks are not handing out bunches of money here. We have excellent credit in Canada, we have excellent credit here - however - ING Direct would not offer us a mortgage simply because we did not have '2 credit streams over a 24 month period'.

The RBC will give us a mortgage, which is good, but it is based on our Canadian credit really.

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

With regards to piggy backing on ur USA spouses credit card and getting credit that way--According to CNBC chick Suzy Orman, that is supposedly going out the window. Thats what we did when I moved here in late Dec 2004, that and put me on the utilities and I got a CC and have excellent credit, yet have never worked here.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
With regards to piggy backing on ur USA spouses credit card and getting credit that way--According to CNBC chick Suzy Orman, that is supposedly going out the window. Thats what we did when I moved here in late Dec 2004, that and put me on the utilities and I got a CC and have excellent credit, yet have never worked here.

Yeah see, that's a shame that they probably will stop doing that. That is the ONLY way I would have been considered when applying for a mortgage with Jared. They literally came back to me and said, "You don't have enough credit. Add yourself to all of your husband's credit cards and wait a few months".

Which is exactly what we did and I was able (eventually) to secure the mortgage in both our names.

If they stop this process, so many people will be SOL. Shame. I understand why they have to do it but..shame.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

One name doesnt have to go on the mortgage--I wasnt on the mortgage at all---just on my wifes credit--but Iwas put on the deed, lol so she can't kick me out,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
One name doesnt have to go on the mortgage--I wasnt on the mortgage at all---just on my wifes credit--but Iwas put on the deed, lol so she can't kick me out,lol

Well I wanted to be on the mortgage. I wanted to establish credit for myself. I want to live the American dream damnit! :lol:

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

Ours is like this as well - since my non-credit history harmed the rate we could get... loan is in teh hubster's name and the house deed in both of ours

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Maybe i'm delusional but I'm not worried about this at all. I have very limited credit in Canada... I have 1 credit card through the bank, and a cell phone bill, that's about it. I've only had my credit card for about 2 years as well... My fiance has a fairly good credit score, so I'm thinking as long as he has reliable credit and a decent job I have nothing to worry about. I'll be added to his credit card and If it doesn't get me credit then it doesn't get me credit. If we want to buy a house then it will be in his name, I don't mind. I guess if I was older and already had very established credit It would be more of a concern, but as a 21 year old student... how many of us actually have a strong credit rating? Not many that I know of.

Timeline
Maybe i'm delusional but I'm not worried about this at all. I have very limited credit in Canada... I have 1 credit card through the bank, and a cell phone bill, that's about it. I've only had my credit card for about 2 years as well... My fiance has a fairly good credit score, so I'm thinking as long as he has reliable credit and a decent job I have nothing to worry about. I'll be added to his credit card and If it doesn't get me credit then it doesn't get me credit. If we want to buy a house then it will be in his name, I don't mind. I guess if I was older and already had very established credit It would be more of a concern, but as a 21 year old student... how many of us actually have a strong credit rating? Not many that I know of.

Not delusional at all Huggle, you are understanding it completely correctly I think.

I don't work here - this mortgage that I am speaking of is completely based on my Husband's job/credit, they could care less what my credit score is.

It is not really important other than if you want a mortgage with your income included (ie: if he qualifies for a 150 thousand dollar mortgage and you want to buy a house where you want say a 200 thousand dollar mortgage - then your credit score and income is, of course, important) or want to finance a vehicle with that same criteria etc.

Credit cards just to have them - well, we all know what they are :lol:

Edited by trailmix

I used my old job in Canada when I applied for a US credit card.

You don't need to worry about getting a huge credit card or multiple cards in the US. With my simple 1 US credit card and a $500 limit on it, I managed to get a 720 FICO score before I even got a job. I'd just put $100 on the card, let it report to the credit bureaus at the end of the month and then pay it in full. Simple really. Just put the cable/internet bill on there and then put it away. It seems building a good credit rating when you have no bad history allows your score to jump rather quickly.

The trick of course is getting a US credit card. Some have more troubles than others.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably get an AMEX card in Canada. But I never knew about that then.

Caveat about RBC cards---One of the things my husband tried to do to establish credit in the US was get an RBC card. You do not have to have an account with them--if you call RBC's US credit division, they can check your Canadian credit history. The problem he had was his credit in Canada was TOO good. They turned him down because he had already paid off his mortgage and car loan and they said he did not have enough recent lines of credit open. #######?

What he finally did was get a secured card. Open an account to secure it, and you qualify for whatever amount you put in and use it just like any other card. Then he got an unsecured Capitol One card (same experience as JillA described). He just got it a month ago, but they say they will automatically increase his credit limit after 3 months, and then I think yearly or something. He does have a pretty low limit on it, but it wasn't the lowest limit available.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Caveat about RBC cards---One of the things my husband tried to do to establish credit in the US was get an RBC card. You do not have to have an account with them--if you call RBC's US credit division, they can check your Canadian credit history. The problem he had was his credit in Canada was TOO good. They turned him down because he had already paid off his mortgage and car loan and they said he did not have enough recent lines of credit open. #######?

What he finally did was get a secured card. Open an account to secure it, and you qualify for whatever amount you put in and use it just like any other card. Then he got an unsecured Capitol One card (same experience as JillA described). He just got it a month ago, but they say they will automatically increase his credit limit after 3 months, and then I think yearly or something. He does have a pretty low limit on it, but it wasn't the lowest limit available.

Capital One is a pretty good starter card for those who have already established credit, but don't have a lot of it. Capital One is very good in doing the 3 month increase, probably from $500 to $1000. But thing to know is that you might be stuck with a card that will never go higher than $1000.

Other bad thing about Capital One is that they pull all 3 credit reports, unlike most companies who only pull one.

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Timeline

I beg to differ, and maybe it's because you are 21. (not that I'm being prejudice against your age)

You don't have to be worried about it, but you just have to be aware of it.

I wanted to be on the mortgage, because my we needed my income in order to be approved for the loan we wanted. (as trailmix said) In my state where median home prices are through the roof, unless you want to live in a bad neighbourhood where you are going to get gunned down, you've gotta make money. My husband didn't qualify on his own for what we needed so unless your future husband makes a good sum of money, you may have trouble getting what you want.

Again, it's not something to worry about, it's just something to be aware of. We have awesome credit (in the high 700s) and I was denied when we bought a brand new mattress and box spring from Sleepy's to do financing because it was 0% at the time. Even though our credit scores were both high, they still denied us. This was back in December.

It's not easy here at the moment to do anything that involves getting money to make big purchases.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was at my local Chase branch yesterday looking into getting a Visa. My husband has a couple of accounts there, to which he has added my name. I asked a lot of questions and was told that if they simply add me to his Visa card, that wont report to my credit at all. They don't do credit cards with a co-signer (not sure if this is new or has always been this way). He advised me that because of my situation and the fact that I am named on savings and checking accounts with them, after I get the inevitable rejection, he can submit it for reconsideration, meaning an actual person will look at the big picture so to speak. He thought that upon reconsideration there was a pretty good chance I would be approved for a low limit card to start me out. I thought this might be useful to mention, since another branch that I was at previously didn't seem to know anything about that process, so other people's experiences with Chase will obviously vary.

Of course the usefulness of this information really depends on whether I eventually get a card or not, I guess :D

Btw, sorry to have kinda checked out of here as soon as I moved... I have spent almost 100% of my time every day looking for a job (to no avail, yet). I decided that I needed a day off today :-)

edit: yes, based on my timeline it wouldn't be expected that I would be looking for work yet, but I actually got the EA stamp at the Detroit tunnel when I crossed :o

Edited by k34
  • 7/7/08 -- I-129f sent
  • 7/9/08 -- I-129f received at CSC
  • 7/24/08 -- NOA1 (finally!)
  • 12/2/08 -- NOA2 (WOOT!!!!)
  • 12/8/08 -- received at NVC
  • 12/22/08 -- packet 3 (with packet 4 attachment instead of checklist :P)
  • 12/29/08 -- packet 3 sent back with bits and pieces that I pulled together to make up a packet 3
  • 1/5/09 -- actual packet 3 received, but found out by via e-mail that they were satisfied with what I had already provided
  • 2/10/09 -- found out via call to DoS that my interview is scheduled!
  • 3/16/09 -- interview!!!! APROVED!!!
  • 4/7/09 -- MOVE!!!!!!!!
    Crossed at Detroit/Windsor Tunnel... pretty painless, about 45 minutes, inexperienced officer, asked for and received EA stamp
  • 4/13/09 -- Married in New Orleans!!!!!!!!
  • 5/30/09 -- Filed AOS/AP/EAD
  • 6/1/09 -- AOS etc received in Chicago

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Isn't that first EAD stamp only temporary and expires after the 90 days your K1 is valid for getting married?

ROC

Sept 9/11 - Sent I-751 Package in Mail

Sept 12/11 - Package received at CSC

Sept 15/11 - Cheque cashed

Sept 16/11 - Receive NOA for I-751

Sept 19/11 - Receive Biometrics Appointment Letter dated 9/15/2011

Oct 7/11 - Biometrics Appointment

Dec 2/11 - Greencard production ordered

Dec 3/11 - received email from USCIS advising card production

AOS

Aug 6/09 - Sent AOS, EAD, AP Package in mail

Aug 8/09 - Packaged received in Chicago

Aug 13/09 - Cheque cashed

Aug 17/09 - Receive NOA for I-485, I-765 and I-131

Aug 21/09 - Receive Notice for Biometrics Appt

Aug 24/09 - RFE Sent in Mail

Aug 29/09 - RFE recieved

Sept 3/09 - Mail back RFE package

Sept 5/09 - RFE package received

Sept 10/09 - I-485 case resumed

Sept 10/09 - Address changed on I-485, I-765 and I-131

Sept 15/09 - Biometrics Appt

Sept 28/09 - AP Approved, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #1

Oct 1/09 - Received AP Hardcopy in Mail, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #2

Oct 5/09 - Received EAD Card

Oct 29/09 - Received Interview Letter

Dec 2/09 - Interview --APPROVED!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Isn't that first EAD stamp only temporary and expires after the 90 days your K1 is valid for getting married?

Yes... was hoping to get a job pretty early and then be able to hang onto it because I should have had my EAD card within the 90 days. I say should have had, because without being able to find a job right away, I was also then not able to apply for my AOS/EAD right away... had to wait until I got my severance from my job in Canada. It looks like I wont have to worry about what to do about my job when the I-94 expires anyway though since I haven't even had so much as an interview yet :whistle:

• 7/7/08 -- I-129f sent
  • 7/9/08 -- I-129f received at CSC
  • 7/24/08 -- NOA1 (finally!)
  • 12/2/08 -- NOA2 (WOOT!!!!)
  • 12/8/08 -- received at NVC
  • 12/22/08 -- packet 3 (with packet 4 attachment instead of checklist :P)
  • 12/29/08 -- packet 3 sent back with bits and pieces that I pulled together to make up a packet 3
  • 1/5/09 -- actual packet 3 received, but found out by via e-mail that they were satisfied with what I had already provided
  • 2/10/09 -- found out via call to DoS that my interview is scheduled!
  • 3/16/09 -- interview!!!! APROVED!!!
  • 4/7/09 -- MOVE!!!!!!!!
    Crossed at Detroit/Windsor Tunnel... pretty painless, about 45 minutes, inexperienced officer, asked for and received EA stamp
  • 4/13/09 -- Married in New Orleans!!!!!!!!
  • 5/30/09 -- Filed AOS/AP/EAD
  • 6/1/09 -- AOS etc received in Chicago

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.