skylight123

Would not accept co-sponsor for K1 visa

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just called up US Embassy in Manila & the operator told me that for K1 (I-134 form) they don't accept co-sponsors only for family based (I-864) petitions. Don't know what to do. :(

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
Just called up US Embassy in Manila & the operator told me that for K1 (I-134 form) they don't accept co-sponsors only for family based (I-864) petitions. Don't know what to do. :(

I believe that information is incorrect. I know many K-1 filers that have co-sponsors. I am one of them. I have not been approved yet but I have NEVER heard of anyone being rejected having a co-sponsor because they are filing for a K-1 Visa. I have not heard of anyone using a co-sponsor not being able to use the I-134 form. Once you get to the US, you cannot use the I-134 anymore. Then it is I-864 all the way to get your AOS. I will send this to someone I know that is very knowledgeable in this area just to be sure. If this is true, the lives of many K-1 filers have just been severly set back.

Timeline

I believe that information is incorrect. I know many K-1 filers that have co-sponsors. I am one of them. I have not been approved yet but I have NEVER heard of anyone being rejected having a co-sponsor because they are filing for a K-1 Visa. I have not heard of anyone using a co-sponsor not being able to use the I-134 form. Once you get to the US, you cannot use the I-134 anymore. Then it is I-864 all the way to get your AOS. I will send this to someone I know that is very knowledgeable in this area just to be sure. If this is true, the lives of many K-1 filers have just been severly set back.

Thanks EZGoing but procedures in each US embassies differs (I read a thread on that). The US Embassy in Manila as I was told by the clerk who works there said that they don't accept it. Maybe US Embassies in other countries are OK. I guess in Manila they are very strict.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thanks EZGoing but procedures in each US embassies differs (I read a thread on that). The US Embassy in Manila as I was told by the clerk who works there said that they don't accept it. Maybe US Embassies in other countries are OK. I guess in Manila they are very strict.

:time: so that we know your status and help you better....

if you don't have an interview date yet and this date will not happen for a few months, maybe you can look for a better paying jobs, if not then work 2 jobs to make it over the poverty guideline.....

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you fiance(e) cannot meet the requirement without a co-sponsor then marriage and a IR/CR-1 visa is the only other way.

I believe that information is incorrect. I know many K-1 filers that have co-sponsors. I am one of them. I have not been approved yet but I have NEVER heard of anyone being rejected having a co-sponsor because they are filing for a K-1 Visa.

Now you have read about it... Bangkok and Manila are two consulates that will....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It is consulate and even CASE specific. You can be denied even if you meet the guidelines and/or have a co-sponsor that meets the guidelines. It is an entirely subjective decision by the consulate officer and YES, many K-1s have been denied for not meeting the public charge requirements.

The income/public charge requirements have never been a "pass/fail" test of meeting a specific level of income only.

I was, however, under the impression Manilla DID accept co-sponsors for K-1s. Maybe I have read wrong or something changed.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Hi skylight,

This might help you, we have the same issue here.

Click on the link:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2442174

Good luck & God bless! This might give a little light from the sky.

Timeline
Hi skylight,

This might help you, we have the same issue here.

Click on the link:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2442174

Good luck & God bless! This might give a little light from the sky.

Thank you Phoemela for the link.

I have a feeling already that it's going to be like that. Consul will have the final say of the situation.

Consul is playing safe.

Timeline

It is consulate and even CASE specific. You can be denied even if you meet the guidelines and/or have a co-sponsor that meets the guidelines. It is an entirely subjective decision by the consulate officer and YES, many K-1s have been denied for not meeting the public charge requirements.

The income/public charge requirements have never been a "pass/fail" test of meeting a specific level of income only.

I was, however, under the impression Manilla DID accept co-sponsors for K-1s. Maybe I have read wrong or something changed.

Thanks Gary & Alla...

They changed there policy not sure when. I'll be calling US Embassy Manila again for more questions. I'll also ask when did they changed their policy on co-sponsors.

You know i just made a post about this Manila "don't like Co-Sponsors at all", but was told they do by a VJ member if the co-sponsor is like your parents? Who was your co-sponsor.....

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Timeline

You know i just made a post about this Manila "don't like Co-Sponsors at all", but was told they do by a VJ member if the co-sponsor is like your parents? Who was your co-sponsor.....

Co-sponsor is my brother. I read it does not matter. Petitioner (sponsor) should be the one financially responsible not the co-sponsor when he/she comes here. Basically, if your unemployed, it's going to be difficult to achieve this. I guess US Embassy in Manila is playing it safe.

Co-sponsor is my brother. I read it does not matter. Petitioner (sponsor) should be the one financially responsible not the co-sponsor when he/she comes here. Basically, if your unemployed, it's going to be difficult to achieve this. I guess US Embassy in Manila is playing it safe.

So whats your game plan?

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

OMG i really sorry :( , but search dont give up, any solutions you must to find! :star:

K-1 & K-2
Visa in hand: may 14
POE: Chicago (O'Hare) 05/29/2009 finally together!!!958013z2g3nx0iwd.gif
384957uvzupp2kbf.gif
AOS Journey:
sep 25 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox (AOS FOR K-I & K-2)
sep 27 received and signed
0ct 7 NOA in mailbox (dated oct 2 )
oct 13 biometrics letter (10/27/2009)(DONE)
oct 21 transfer to CSC letter in mailbox ( dated oct 16)
nov 13 : EAD & AP approved
touch after EAD & AP approval? USCIS crazy ppl.
nov 20: AP arrive in the mail
nov 21: EAD arrive in mail

NOV 30: AOS APPROVED (Thanks GOD)
DEC 5: GC & SS arrived in mail
I-751 sent: 08/26/2011
NOA 1: 08/30/2011
BIO: 10/13/2011[/color
I-751 approved 06/28/2012
CARD RECEIVED 05/07/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.