9 posts in this topic

Are there any differences in the I-485 interview if you're adjusting from F-1? I tried doing a search on this site and got a lot of old threads about denials. I'm worried about us not having enough evidence to prove the validity of our marriage, here's what we do have:

lots of photos of us with our families over the past 3.5 years

letters from me to him (I don't have any of his letters to me with me in the US) from the past 4 years

stamps in my passport from visits I had to the US - 2005, 2006 & 2007

picture evidence of us living in London together (we don't have a copy of the lease on the flat we shared)

shared lease on our current house from December 2007 til now

marriage certificate

pictures of the after party

joint bank account

tax return for 2008 showing MFJ

Are there any questions they're bound to ask, like.. what are your parents birthdates, places of birth etc?

Do you usually get interviewed separately or together?

Any other advice would be really helpful :)

Interview passed 6/30/09

Filed for ROC 6/21/11

waiting...

dev172pr___.png

Also, we are having our wedding rings engraved for our wedding ceremony we are having in England later, so we won't be wearing them on the day of the interview, will this raise suspicion? Also, I have not changed my last name because I thought it would only complicate things with all the paperwork and I didn't think it would matter. Will this be a problem?

Interview passed 6/30/09

Filed for ROC 6/21/11

waiting...

dev172pr___.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline
Also, we are having our wedding rings engraved for our wedding ceremony we are having in England later, so we won't be wearing them on the day of the interview, will this raise suspicion? Also, I have not changed my last name because I thought it would only complicate things with all the paperwork and I didn't think it would matter. Will this be a problem?

My wife adjusted from an F-1. She had been in the country for a little less than a year when we were married. I had talked to my company's immigration lawyer, and he said that as long as several months elapsed between the last arrival on the visa and the wedding, USCIS wouldn't care.

We submitted a joint deed, utility bill and some joint membership card with the I-130.

We were interviewed in January, and were asked for NO additional evidence. We certainly were not interviewed separately. We were asked nothing about her intentions when she came to the US. We were asked a few questions about how we met. The interviewer was most interested in her previous J1 visas and how we could show they were not subject to the home restriction.

You should be prepared, but you have lots of evidence.

My wife did not change her name, and I'm sure that will not cause a problem for you.

I did not get the feeling that the fact that my wife was adjusting from F-1 mattered at all to the officer, except for one thing - the officer was surprised that my wife had never been out of status. The office said that she almost never interviews anyone who has always been in status.

Good luck, but I think you should be fine.

We only submitted a copy of our lease with the application so we are going to bring some other things as well, thank you for recounting your experience! It's set my mind at ease a little :)

Interview passed 6/30/09

Filed for ROC 6/21/11

waiting...

dev172pr___.png

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My AOS interview went smoothly and I was adjusting from F1. My wife and I were interviewed together. The officer will ask you and your spouse basic questions, such as your birthday, parent's birthday, when and where did you get married, how did you two meet each other, etc.

I think you have a quite a lot of evidence for your interview. Just make sure you bring a copy of everything. My interviewer more interested in getting evidence that my wife and I have together, such as joint bank account, joint insurance, joint lease, etc. I think you should be fine.

here's another question, we have a joint bank account but don't receive paper statements..however we do have checks with both our names on, will this be enough evidence?

Also, do I need to bring any of my school transcripts with me to the interview? Or will my F-1 visa be ok by itself.

Interview passed 6/30/09

Filed for ROC 6/21/11

waiting...

dev172pr___.png

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline
here's another question, we have a joint bank account but don't receive paper statements..however we do have checks with both our names on, will this be enough evidence?

Also, do I need to bring any of my school transcripts with me to the interview? Or will my F-1 visa be ok by itself.

You don't need to bring any school transcripts with you. They're just gonna look your passport, visa, and I-94.

Can you print out your bank statements online? I think you can do that.

When you view your online bank statements, there should be an option to print them. I assume both of your names show up there. Good luck! :)

24q38dy.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.