trailmix

The internet and you

121 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes, I am going out of my way to be an a$$hole on video games, I never made any claim that I wasn't. I said it was an aberation for me personally. For me, I am playing a character that is a hyper version of myself. I made the claim that I am myself online and in real life and was stating that when I play video games it is an a character for me.

ok, see you seem to be kind of angry here and i'm not sure why?

Sorry, I forgot the emoticons :P

Much better! :hehe:

However, still goes back to the point that the 'character' does not exist - you do and you are being an a$$. :lol:

It's not like being in a play as a character and someone wrote your character that way.

See, I think that it goes to prove the "character" theory. I am behaving not as myself, but as someone else. Why do I do it? Because it's fun. I did it all for the lulz :lol:

Ok, so we are on the same wave length about this now.

So I see people like you online and I do ponder periodically why they are like this. So since this is you, tell us, what do you get out of it? I don't mean the lulz - that's obvious - you personally get something from it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You know I have been on message boards where someone will post their "goodbye" thread and talk about killing themselves and people will post with things like: "Remember up the road not across the street" meaning how to properly cut your wrists.

I don't think suicide is funny. I was personally affected by it when I lived in North Bay, when 3 of my good friends all killed themselves within a 6 month time frame. We were all friends, and if you have lived in North Bay for more than 10 years you probably heard about it because it was all over the news.

When I hear someone say they will kill themselves, I take it seriously. Regardless of whether or not I know them outside of the internet. I know some people are looking for attention but I don't care. If you're willing to go that far for attention then they need someone in their lives. We all thought our friends were just looking for attention too and we didn't pay attention at all.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes, I am going out of my way to be an a$$hole on video games, I never made any claim that I wasn't. I said it was an aberation for me personally. For me, I am playing a character that is a hyper version of myself. I made the claim that I am myself online and in real life and was stating that when I play video games it is an a character for me.

ok, see you seem to be kind of angry here and i'm not sure why?

Sorry, I forgot the emoticons :P

Much better! :hehe:

However, still goes back to the point that the 'character' does not exist - you do and you are being an a$$. :lol:

It's not like being in a play as a character and someone wrote your character that way.

See, I think that it goes to prove the "character" theory. I am behaving not as myself, but as someone else. Why do I do it? Because it's fun. I did it all for the lulz :lol:

Ok, so we are on the same wave length about this now.

So I see people like you online and I do ponder periodically why they are like this. So since this is you, tell us, what do you get out of it? I don't mean the lulz - that's obvious - you personally get something from it.

I think we might have had a misunderstanding here. I was stating that I am the same person online that I am in real life, except for video games. Even then, it's not like I call myself by my internet handle, or change my real personality. I just turn off that part of my brain taht filters inappropriate statements. Some call that part of the brain BEER :lol:

I do it in video games because it is fun. My friends and I enjoy doing it. But this is quite systematic when it comes to video games, yet not quite so pervasive on forums. I don't think I troll (much) on forums. I might poke fun at people and point out blatantly incorrect information, but I do try to remain civil.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Civil is always good.

As opposed to being an outright pr!ck? :devil:

As opposed to anything - but yeah that too :lol:

Yes I was thinking you were one of those folks that would get on say trade chat and just push peoples buttons to see how riled up you could get them.

Timeline
Civil is always good.

Yes I was thinking you were one of those folks that would get on say trade chat and just push peoples buttons to see how riled up you could get them.

Oh dear god no. Not on my realm at least. It's like a group of mongoloids with ADD having a political foreign policy discussion. No thank you. I was referring more to things in the game itself.... ganking, corpse camping etc.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

im pretty much the same in person as on the Internet, the only thing that i think is hard is when im joking or if i say something sometimes it can come out as hard because that person cant see my facial expressions, or hear the tone of my voice.........

i dont like to hurt people, or say hurtful things to them, im pretty shy but i also will not back down if someone is a jerk.

if it reaches the point that u cant reason with them i just ignore them.

if someone is not important to me as in perviz or my family or a good friend i will walk away.

i dont expect everyone that i talk to, to like me, or even for me to like them......but i dont see the point in making an enemy

i role play on xbox 360 and i really think its funny that other people get so wound up with the game that they feel they have to get angry and start swearing, or threatening you........i dont know maybe i live in a different world than they do mentally and emotionally lol

sara

Timeline
im pretty much the same in person as on the Internet, the only thing that i think is hard is when im joking or if i say something sometimes it can come out as hard because that person cant see my facial expressions, or hear the tone of my voice.........

i dont like to hurt people, or say hurtful things to them, im pretty shy but i also will not back down if someone is a jerk.

if someone is not important to me as in perviz or my family or a good friend i will walk away.

i dont expect everyone that i talk to, to like me, or even for me to like them......but i dont see the point in making an enemy

i role play on xbox 360 and i really think its funny that other people get so wound up with the game that they feel they have to get angry and start swearing, or threatening you........i dont know maybe i live in a different world than they do mentally and emotionally lol

sara

That is what I find hilarious about games. That by killing someone they get so mad at you that you can tell they are emotionally disturbed by something so meaningless. Thats when I feel the need to kill them a few (dozen) more times :rofl:

Filed: Timeline
I don't think suicide is funny. I was personally affected by it when I lived in North Bay, when 3 of my good friends all killed themselves within a 6 month time frame. We were all friends, and if you have lived in North Bay for more than 10 years you probably heard about it because it was all over the news.

I remember that. I'm sorry you had to live through that, Nevada. (F) Terrible times.

It's funny you should start this thread, Trailmix, because I was just in a few other threads where I was appalled at what some were saying and was thinking "I really need to log off so I can mentally brush away the feeling of being unclean just by having read their words." I am pretty much the same online as I am offline, I think. Actually, I equate my online personality more with my work personality. I try to remain level-headed and diplomatic, even if I am seething on the inside. Most of the time I will analyze and be empathetic in what people have said in order to determine whether there is validity in their viewpoint. I will also make allowances for language barriers and that particular person's personality. Others I ignore, completely, because I have no time for fools. My friends and family see a far less reserved persona in a social situation. I enjoy a good laugh but that sometimes doesn't translate well online. lol. I'm most likely to see the humour in any given situation, so online I won't respond the way I would in front of those who know me well because some people wouldn't get it and would feel highly offended.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

sara

That is what I find hilarious about games. That by killing someone they get so mad at you that you can tell they are emotionally disturbed by something so meaningless. Thats when I feel the need to kill them a few (dozen) more times :rofl:

omgosh my 15 year old brother is very mmm aggressive on those games there was a guy given me a hard time swearing calling me filthy names my brother heard it took the controller and made the guy so mad omgosh tan told him well noob thats what happens when u mess with the best, i hate to say it but it was comical lol

sara

Timeline
Civil is always good.

Maybe- But if you get so wound up by something said to you on the internet that it starts affecting your life, then I think you have a serious problem you may need to keep in check. We all get hurt by things people say...but if you call me a jerk, trailmix, I'm not going to get hurt over it. We aren't friends. It doesn't affect me personally. Some people on the internet are avoiding their social lives completely, and this tends them to go down the road where they can't socialize properly with others.

This world is a tough one and you have to grow some thick skin. Does that mean people have a right to be hurtful? No. But you can get offended (not you personally) by just about everything that comes out of any ones mouth these days, in retrospect. If you let it get to you, to me, that's your fault and that's up to you!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
I wonder if this thread will still be open by the time I get back here? :lol: It's in the Canada Forum so I'm predicting a much longer lifespan than if it'd been posted in OT. Until the crazy people get here, that is. :hehe:

True! I hope it doesn't get found. And actually, I do deserve some credit for this topic right trailmix? :lol: It's a good 'un!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
I wonder if this thread will still be open by the time I get back here? :lol: It's in the Canada Forum so I'm predicting a much longer lifespan than if it'd been posted in OT. Until the crazy people get here, that is. :hehe:

True! I hope it doesn't get found. And actually, I do deserve some credit for this topic right trailmix? :lol: It's a good 'un!

Well, it would be fun to hear from some of the Trolls as to why they enjoy it, and whether or not that is how they are IRL. But as it is, if someone is playing a character, a more aggressive person than they are in real life, I don't suspect that they would cop to being a pencil pushing ineffectual nothing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.