larrysgirl

Easier for Canadians?

13 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if the K1 process is generally quicker for Canadians versus beneficiaries from other countries? :huh:

***I-751 Journey***

01-02-2009 Mailed in I-751 application

01-12-2009 Temporary resident status extended for one year

02-03-2009 Biometrics appointment

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well depends on the service centre your going through in the US and then the consulate that you will be going through in Canada ... It appears that your from Vancouver so your lucky that your going through one of the best consulates :)

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi larrysgirl,

Totally ignore shonjaved's post, she just likes to be ignorant.

To answer you question honestly, no, unfortunatley being Canadian does not give any fringe benefit in this process. It is a tad bit easier being from a country where immigration fraud is fairly rare and generally the process takes 6 months or less. The big thing is which service center you file with. Last year, vermont was extremely quick, not sure whats up these days. Montreal is slower than Vancouver in general to schedule interviews by about 30 days. As long as your case is uncomplicated, the process is pretty straight forward and getting the K1 visa is no problem.

My personal feelings on this subject is that it should be easier for the born Canadian citizens, and hell, being from the Maritimes, if Quebec separated, the joke is we would be the 51st state anyway! :lol::lol::lol:

Oct 2005 visa received

Dec 24, 2005 Married in Vegas

Jan 29, 2006 sent AOS

April 19, 2006 AP approved...finally

Aug 30, 2006 AOS interview....approved

Sept 06...Received Green card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

IT is the service centre that is cenerally the telling factor in the speed of the K-1. Ours took 9 months from start to finish of which the last 2 months was the process through the Consulate. The rest was the Texas Service Centre and NVC. We were beginning to suspect that being Canadian slowed it down instead of sped it up!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure about speed but the interviews seem to be a lot easier. One doesnt read of too many denials or people going on further review that often from Mtl or Vancouver, can't say that in some countries. Plus you get to wait with the comforts of Tim Hortons, what else can ya ask for!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can watch my case, which hasn't moved an inch. My husband is Canadian, born in the Portuguese Azores Islands. Our Embassy is Montreal. We're caught in the IMBRA affair, which will probably be the biggest factor in our wait time.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: Timeline
Hi larrysgirl,

Totally ignore shonjaved's post, she just likes to be ignorant.

To answer you question honestly, no, unfortunatley being Canadian does not give any fringe benefit in this process. It is a tad bit easier being from a country where immigration fraud is fairly rare and generally the process takes 6 months or less. The big thing is which service center you file with. Last year, vermont was extremely quick, not sure whats up these days. Montreal is slower than Vancouver in general to schedule interviews by about 30 days. As long as your case is uncomplicated, the process is pretty straight forward and getting the K1 visa is no problem.

My personal feelings on this subject is that it should be easier for the born Canadian citizens, and hell, being from the Maritimes, if Quebec separated, the joke is we would be the 51st state anyway! :lol::lol::lol:

I am not ignorate

its true. if you are from suriname you have no wait!

shows how ignorant you are - apprently you dont know that suriname is a country, nor do you know where its located.

shon.gif

Due to IMBRA the beginning part seems to be the longest part especially if you are going through California. California was slow to begin with.

Vancouver is quicker than Montreal in getting interviews scheduled as the timelines have shown in the past.

K-1 Process

---------------------------

April 20, 2006 - Filed I-129F (Ahhhhh finally!)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED!

September 28, 2006 - Interview!

September 29, 2006 - VISA in hand!

October 14, 2006 - WEDDING DATE!

AOS & EAD Process

----------------------------

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

December 27, 2006 - Filed AOS and EAD paperwork

January 3, 2006 - Receipt date of NOA1

January 11, 2007 - 'touched'

January 17, 2007 - transferred to CSC

January 19, 2007 - biometrics appointment

January 22, 2007 - 'touched'

January 23, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

January 24, 2007 - 'touched'

January 31, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

February 1, 2007 - GREEN CARD ORDERED!!!

February 5, 2007 - Received Welcome Letter

February 11, 2007 - received GREEN CARD!!

Lifting Conditions

----------------------------

December 31, 2008 - filed I-751

January 10, 2009 - received 1-year extension letter

January 28, 2009 - biometrics

February 13, 2009 - 10-year green card ordered

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Shon just tends to tell it how it is, doesnt soften it up, lol!! Have a great weekend all

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry, must have been the way I interpreted and let's face it, Shon does have a history. :whistle: Didn't realize the citizens of Suriname were exempt from the process, I must have missed that thread. :P:lol:

Ok, back to lurking..... :blush::lol:

Oct 2005 visa received

Dec 24, 2005 Married in Vegas

Jan 29, 2006 sent AOS

April 19, 2006 AP approved...finally

Aug 30, 2006 AOS interview....approved

Sept 06...Received Green card

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it all depends on your destination.. places that have higher volumes of applications may take a while.. but the K1 is usually pretty quick.

Rob and Jessica

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.