vanee

AOS Detroit interview

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We finally had our AOS interview yesterday. The interview stories I've read here suggest that the interviewers have often decided whether or not to approve you before you meet them. If they've decided to approve you, they just need to see a few documents to confirm what they think. If they've decided not to approve you, you need to have a lot of evidence to change their minds.

Because of the long and unexplained delays, first between the application and receiving EAD/AP and then the 7-month wait since receiving those documents, I was worried that they'd decided not to approve us. We don't have any red flags in our history; a possible concern was that I've continued working as a self-employed consultant since arriving in the US, and we included my income in the AOS application. My understanding is that that work was legal because I was working for myself, not for a US employer, but that's been an unclear area in discussions here.

We were prepared. We brought 6 file folders of documents and a bag of photos and cards/letters that were addressed to both of us, organized by year and type (e.g., 2007 Christmas cards). Those who have been through this know how much work it is to put all that together.

Our appointment was for 8 AM in Detroit. We arrived at about 7:30. After we went through the metal detector like what they have at airports, we were directed to the large waiting room and told to put our notice in the tray at Window 8. We were the first ones there. Others kept coming in after us, and they were called for their interviews ahead of us. It was a familiar pattern.

Finally we were called at about 8:30 AM. The interviewer led us to his office, had us swear to tell the truth, and invited us to sit down. I waited for him to set the tone, which he did when he commented on how he'd often driven the route we took to the interview to visit his daughter. That got us chatting a bit, which helped us relax. He then went through some of the biographical details (where I live, parents' names, etc.) to confirm them. After that, he asked for evidence of our relationship, such as joint bank account statements. I told him we had that, and I placed the 6 file folders on his desk. When I was looking for the folder with the bank statements, I opened another folder first and started pulling out papers: a photocopy of our medical plan cards, membership cards, and joint account credit cards; the title for our current vehicle in both of our names, the title for our previous vehicle that was also in both of our names..."That's enough. I'm going to approve you," he said.

It took me a minute to realize what he'd said. "You can stop now," my husband told me. All that work, and the interviewer was happy with 3 pieces of paper. Then again, if we hadn't had those 6 file folders, he might have wanted to see more.

The next part of the interview was the routine questions: have you ever been a terrorist, have you ever been a polygamist, etc. No problems there.

The interviewer explained what we need to do for lifting of conditions in 2 years, and we talked a bit about a few things that were unrelated to our application. I mentioned that we were hoping to get an I-551 stamp so that we could drive across the border to Windsor while we were there. He said that adjudicators (I think that's the word he used) all have the I-551 stamp, but that the stamp now requires a hard seal and that only one of the adjudicators has one. He gave me a letter of approval and said that the person at the front desk (by the metal detectors) might have a hard seal. So, we took the letter to her, and she said that she had the hard seal but not the I-551 stamp. She gave us a note explaining that, which we gave to the person at Window 8, and he gave it to our interviewer. He called me again, we went back to his office, he stamped my passport with the I-551 stamp, and my husband and I went back to the front desk, where the person there added the hard seal. We then drove to Windsor, bought some Canadian Smarties and a few other things, and drove home.

Nothing that we discussed during the interview was about a possible concern. As my husband said, the takeaway from this is that just because there's a long delay doesn't mean that there's a problem.

I received a case status update email yesterday afternoon stating that my card has been ordered. We can now just live our lives as husband and wife for 2 years, until it's time to remove conditions. We are happy. :)

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Well, thats how it is then, CONGRATS & THANKS for your long and detailed input on your experience. Really appreciate your time..

--------------------

AOS from H1B

--------------------

03.09.09 I-130 Filed

03.10.09 Receipt Date @ California Service Center

03.17.09 NOA date for I-130

05.01.09 I-130 Approved & Sent for review !

AOS I-485 Data section:

04.06.09 I- 485 Filed

04.07.09 Receipt Date @ National Benefits Center (MSC- Missouri)

04.13.09 I-485 NOA

04.18.09 I-485 Biometrics Notice Received

04.29.09 Biometrics Appointment for AOS & EAD

06.10.09 Letter for INITIAL Interview

07.27.09 I-485 INITIAL Interview APPROVED

07.27.09 Cris Email: Card Production ordered

07.31.09 Received Welcome Notice of PR status by U.S. Mail

08.04.09 Cris Email: I-485 Approval Notice mailed

08.10.09 Green Card RECEIVED

EAD I-765 Data section:

04.07.09 EAD Receipt

04.13.09 EAD NOA @ National Benefits Center (MSC- Missouri)

05.13.09 EAD Card Production Ordered

05.21.09 EAD Received by US Mail

blk-event.png

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Now you can relax for at least 2 years..!!

May 2000 - first time we met

June 2000 - started dating

Feb.16, 2008 - filed for K1

Feb. 25, 2008 -NOA1

July 26, 2008 -NOA2

July 31, 2008 - Package received ny NVC

Aug. 5, 2008 -Recieved by Montreal Consulate

Sept.12, 2008 -Packet 3 received

Sept.17, 2008 -Packet 3 sent

Dec. 12, 2008 -Packet 4 received

Feb 11, 2009 -interview

Feb 20, 2009 - K1 visa received

Feb 25, 2009 - US entry

March 18,2009- Wedding

AOS

April 9, 2009 - filed for application

April 15, 2009 - NOA received for I-1485,EAD, & AP

May 5, 2009 - Biometrics

May 26, 2009 - AP received

May 26, 2009 - card production ordered for EAD

June 5, 2009 - EAD received

July 7, 2009 - Interview appointment received

Aug 20, 2009 - Interview---approved

Sept 2, 2009 - Card recieved

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Now you can relax for at least 2 years..!!

May 2000 - first time we met

June 2000 - started dating

Feb.16, 2008 - filed for K1

Feb. 25, 2008 -NOA1

July 26, 2008 -NOA2

July 31, 2008 - Package received ny NVC

Aug. 5, 2008 -Recieved by Montreal Consulate

Sept.12, 2008 -Packet 3 received

Sept.17, 2008 -Packet 3 sent

Dec. 12, 2008 -Packet 4 received

Feb 11, 2009 -interview

Feb 20, 2009 - K1 visa received

Feb 25, 2009 - US entry

March 18,2009- Wedding

AOS

April 9, 2009 - filed for application

April 15, 2009 - NOA received for I-1485,EAD, & AP

May 5, 2009 - Biometrics

May 26, 2009 - AP received

May 26, 2009 - card production ordered for EAD

June 5, 2009 - EAD received

July 7, 2009 - Interview appointment received

Aug 20, 2009 - Interview---approved

Sept 2, 2009 - Card recieved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
We finally had our AOS interview yesterday. The interview stories I've read here suggest that the interviewers have often decided whether or not to approve you before you meet them. If they've decided to approve you, they just need to see a few documents to confirm what they think. If they've decided not to approve you, you need to have a lot of evidence to change their minds.

Because of the long and unexplained delays, first between the application and receiving EAD/AP and then the 7-month wait since receiving those documents, I was worried that they'd decided not to approve us. We don't have any red flags in our history; a possible concern was that I've continued working as a self-employed consultant since arriving in the US, and we included my income in the AOS application. My understanding is that that work was legal because I was working for myself, not for a US employer, but that's been an unclear area in discussions here.

We were prepared. We brought 6 file folders of documents and a bag of photos and cards/letters that were addressed to both of us, organized by year and type (e.g., 2007 Christmas cards). Those who have been through this know how much work it is to put all that together.

Our appointment was for 8 AM in Detroit. We arrived at about 7:30. After we went through the metal detector like what they have at airports, we were directed to the large waiting room and told to put our notice in the tray at Window 8. We were the first ones there. Others kept coming in after us, and they were called for their interviews ahead of us. It was a familiar pattern.

Finally we were called at about 8:30 AM. The interviewer led us to his office, had us swear to tell the truth, and invited us to sit down. I waited for him to set the tone, which he did when he commented on how he'd often driven the route we took to the interview to visit his daughter. That got us chatting a bit, which helped us relax. He then went through some of the biographical details (where I live, parents' names, etc.) to confirm them. After that, he asked for evidence of our relationship, such as joint bank account statements. I told him we had that, and I placed the 6 file folders on his desk. When I was looking for the folder with the bank statements, I opened another folder first and started pulling out papers: a photocopy of our medical plan cards, membership cards, and joint account credit cards; the title for our current vehicle in both of our names, the title for our previous vehicle that was also in both of our names..."That's enough. I'm going to approve you," he said.

It took me a minute to realize what he'd said. "You can stop now," my husband told me. All that work, and the interviewer was happy with 3 pieces of paper. Then again, if we hadn't had those 6 file folders, he might have wanted to see more.

The next part of the interview was the routine questions: have you ever been a terrorist, have you ever been a polygamist, etc. No problems there.

The interviewer explained what we need to do for lifting of conditions in 2 years, and we talked a bit about a few things that were unrelated to our application. I mentioned that we were hoping to get an I-551 stamp so that we could drive across the border to Windsor while we were there. He said that adjudicators (I think that's the word he used) all have the I-551 stamp, but that the stamp now requires a hard seal and that only one of the adjudicators has one. He gave me a letter of approval and said that the person at the front desk (by the metal detectors) might have a hard seal. So, we took the letter to her, and she said that she had the hard seal but not the I-551 stamp. She gave us a note explaining that, which we gave to the person at Window 8, and he gave it to our interviewer. He called me again, we went back to his office, he stamped my passport with the I-551 stamp, and my husband and I went back to the front desk, where the person there added the hard seal. We then drove to Windsor, bought some Canadian Smarties and a few other things, and drove home.

Nothing that we discussed during the interview was about a possible concern. As my husband said, the takeaway from this is that just because there's a long delay doesn't mean that there's a problem.

I received a case status update email yesterday afternoon stating that my card has been ordered. We can now just live our lives as husband and wife for 2 years, until it's time to remove conditions. We are happy. :)

Congratulations!

My interview is in 3 weeks in Detroit as well. I hope mine goes as well as yours did.

Any tips?

Bill and Nicky

Married November 8 2008

AOS Endeavour

AOS/EAD/AP sent 01/09/09 - returned 02/05/09 originally sent to Nebraska Service Centre

AOS/EAD/AP re-submitted to Chicago Lockbox - 02/06/09 Day 0

I-130 - NOA1 sent 01/28/09 - received 02/02/09

Check Cashed - 02/12/09 Day 6

EAD/AP - NOA1 - 02/14/09 Day 8

Biometrics Appt. Notice - 02/20/09 Day 14

Biometrics Appt. - 03/04/09 Day 26

Interview Notice - 04/03/09 Day 56

Status Appears Online - 05/17/09 Day 100

AP APPROVED! - 05/17/09 Day 100

EAD APPROVED! - 05/21/09 Day 104

AP Received! - 05/22/09 Day 105

EAD Received! - 05/26/09 Day 109

I-485 Touched - 06/02/09 Day 116

Interview - 06/09/09 Day 123

Approved and Card Production Ordered - 06/10/09 Day 124

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

What was your interviewer's name? We have a second interview coming up next month there. Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for sharing your experience!

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks, everyone. Yes, it's a huge relief to be free of this for 2 years now.

Any tips?

Other than advice that applies to AOS interviews at any location, here are 2 tips for Detroit:

• Be sure to put your notice in the tray at the window where the security guards tell you to put it, even if the sign by the window says Closed. Some people came into the waiting room and didn't put their notices in the tray until they were reminded to. The interviewers need to have your notice before they can call you for an interview.
  • If you're approved and you want an I-551 stamp in your passport, ask the interviewer if s/he can stamp your passport even if that interviewer doesn't have a hard seal, and also ask for a letter of approval or something so that the person at the front desk can add the hard seal. As I said in my first post, the person at the front desk can add the hard seal, but that person doesn't have the stamp that the interviewers have. You need the stamp and then the hard seal.

What was your interviewer's name? We have a second interview coming up next month there.

Our interviewer was Steven. He was probably in his 50s and was quite experienced at doing AOS interviews. We enjoyed talking with him.

When he talked about removal of conditions, he mentioned that the type of evidence he likes to see is shared assets, such as a shared bank account, a mortgage, or other financial assets. Pictures weren't of much use to him, he said. They only show that someone has a camera. But I think he went on more than evidence that we brought. My impression was that he had done so many interviews that he used his sense of us as a couple in addition to his assessment of the evidence we showed him to decide to approve us.

Relax as much as you can, follow the interviewer's lead with the tone, be yourselves, and good luck. :)

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks for the advice, vanee ! Your posts were indeed very helpful.

Bill and Nicky, be sure to fill us in on the details. My very best of wishes for a successful interview!

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

:dance: Congratulations! Now you can relax and enjoy life! :thumbs:

threemonths09.jpg?t=1272087150Princess-Threemonthsold007-2.jpg?t=1271837591threemonths01-1.jpg?t=1272086957

Our Princess have her first tooth at five months of age.

fEdIm5.png?J2iWLNZY

I-130 (IR-5) Petitions for my Mom and Dad

*06-08-2010---Petition will send on this date???

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I posted this in 2009 February AOS Filers as well.

Hey,

We had our interview today in Detroit. I guess my first question is, what does it mean when you are not approved and not not approved at the interview?

We arrived at 1;30pm, interview was not scheduled until 2pm. We waited until just about 2pm when a man called us in. He said their power had gone out this morning and they had no computers to use.

We got to his office and he swore us in right away. He seemed melancholic the whole time and I wasn't sure if it was because he was having a bad day or what. Anyway, he started out asking my wife questions, (she is the peitioner) and confirmed what was on the application. He did the same for me. He didn't ask any of the questions I thought he might ask, just confirmed what was on the application. He then asked for any supporting documentation, he wasn't specific and my wife told him we had a lot, and he said he would take whatever we had. He even said it was up to us what we should leave him, he didn't seem to care if we left him all or none. So we left him everything. He didn't look at any of them, just put them in the file. He didn't want any pictures or even look at them.

He then asked me a peculiar question. I have remained in the states since we filed, my wife has gone to Canada to take care of my stuff every couple of weeks. Back near the end of February, on her first trip of doing this, when she was coming back, they held her at the border for 3 hours, apparently concerned about something. They never really said anything to her why, just that I would have to return to Canada if I was laid off (I had a TN when we filed). I was laid off but a lawyer friend told us to remain in the US. On a second trip, she was detained again and one of the Border Officers said they were checking to see if she was trying to smuggle me back. She got pissed and one the officers fixed it so she would not have any more problems. But the sheet of paper he was looking at when he asked me the question said they told me that I was laid off and I had to go back. Which was not the case since I wasn't with her. So anyway, his question was if I had traveled in February and had any problems coming back and then he eloborated on the lay off and TN thing. I said no, I had not traveled and that they had said something to my wife to that affect one time she was coming back. His response was OH REALLY? and he said he would have to investigate it further. Which he couldn't do since his computer was down.

He finished up by asking us if we had any questions for him, I answered not really, just if we were approved or not. He said he couldn't do anything because the computers were down. He said if I am approved I would receive the GC in about 2 weeks, I asked him about the delay in GC production and he said he remembered it mentioned 2 weeks ago but said it would not take 6-8 weeks.

He took my AP and I94 and left me with the EAD.

So I am not sure where I stand now nor do I know what to do next.

Anyway with any incite?

Bill and Nicky

Married November 8 2008

AOS Endeavour

AOS/EAD/AP sent 01/09/09 - returned 02/05/09 originally sent to Nebraska Service Centre

AOS/EAD/AP re-submitted to Chicago Lockbox - 02/06/09 Day 0

I-130 - NOA1 sent 01/28/09 - received 02/02/09

Check Cashed - 02/12/09 Day 6

EAD/AP - NOA1 - 02/14/09 Day 8

Biometrics Appt. Notice - 02/20/09 Day 14

Biometrics Appt. - 03/04/09 Day 26

Interview Notice - 04/03/09 Day 56

Status Appears Online - 05/17/09 Day 100

AP APPROVED! - 05/17/09 Day 100

EAD APPROVED! - 05/21/09 Day 104

AP Received! - 05/22/09 Day 105

EAD Received! - 05/26/09 Day 109

I-485 Touched - 06/02/09 Day 116

Interview - 06/09/09 Day 123

Approved and Card Production Ordered - 06/10/09 Day 124

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.