kaitee27

Pls help me adjust status; I don't want to lie on form G-325A

35 posts in this topic

Don't listen to the secretary, find a decent lawyer.

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Hello everyone, :star:

I know some of you will start judging me right away but pls don't, i'm in need of help right now so i don't really want ppl telling me that i haven't made the wisest decisions in the past. I already know that and I would really appreciate it if I can get some answers :yes:

I came to the US approx. 6 years ago, i entered the country as a tourist and decided to overstay (i got 6 months to stay).

I don't want to type a huuuuge thing so i'm just going to say i went through a lot of stuff and decided to start working ilegally (using fake documents). <-- I know that was very stupid.

A few years ago i met my husband (we just got married last month) and now we're trying to adjust my status so i can become a resident.

I'm not currently working (i quit last year when my husband (back then boyfriend) and i decided to move in together and i had to move far away from where i was working at that moment).

Back when i was working, Even though I was doing it ilegally, I always did my taxes, every single year (I got an ITIN number form the IRS).

My husband and I are currently working on the whole package to send to immigration and I don't know what to do regarding the question about employment history on form G-325A.

I don't want to lie but I'm scared. And sadly we can't afford an immigration lawyer since their rates are extremely high; we decided to take care of the whole thing by ourselves and luckily i found this great site.

I asked a person that works with immigration lawyers (she's like an assistant or secretary) and she told me I shouldn't tell them I've been working ilegally because they could deport me and that it doesn't matter that I'm the wife of an US citizen.

She claims that's what the lawyers she works for always tell their clients.

I told her that i don't want to lie, what if they find out (they could check with the IRS and see I've been doing my taxes, right?) and I'm not able to adjust my status?

Basically I'd like to know if any of you have gone through this and what did you guys do? What's going to happen when i send my G-325A with my ilegal employment history? Should i also send my taxes transcripts? How do i attach them? or should i wait and see if they ask me to take them to the interview?

I'm really lost because I don't know if I should lie about working ilegally or just give them my employment history and expect to be forgiven for being the wife of a US citizen.

Any pointers?

Thank you all for reading and for trying to help me!! I really appreciate it. :thumbs:

Almost forgot. It's always good to have a lawyer help you out. I did and it was worth the money...The IO was so impressed with the application package my lawyer put together, he did not ask for any other evidence including originals at the interview. Try and get a lawyer and do your research before you hire one if you decide to go that route. I only used the lawyer for the application (135 pages) and the lawyer told me that I didn't need to waste more money to have him attend the interview because he was very confident about the case..

Also illegal work is forgiven if you are married to a USC. You say you worked with fake documents, but got an ITIN. Was this your own ITIN? If you didn't use a stolen or faked SSN, I don't think that your crime is as severe, then if you just used faked documents to work. So, I think you might have some hope, but definately don't lie on your application.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

I-765

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

Removal of Conditions:

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: Other Timeline
Don't listen to the secretary, find a decent lawyer.

Of course he needs to find an attorney.

It is unnecessary to frighten the OP with portions of the law. They need a practitioner who can assess the entire case. NONE of us can do that on this forum.

And jane2005........can you find it within yourself to refrain from grinding whatever ax it is you have with me on the forums? I've not got a problem with you. I'd appreciate it if you stop mocking what I do for living.

Sorry rebecca, if you felt I was mocking you, but I didn't even realise that you were a secretary. I haven't been around these forums for a few years. I was in no way mocking secretaries, and have worked as an administrative assistant myself in the past. I enjoyed the work too!

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

I-765

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

Removal of Conditions:

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline
Sorry rebecca, if you felt I was mocking you, but I didn't even realise that you were a secretary. I haven't been around these forums for a few years. I was in no way mocking secretaries, and have worked as an administrative assistant myself in the past. I enjoyed the work too!

Confusion:

The OP was mentioning about a lawyer's secretary who told her what to do etc...

jane2005 was saing not to listen to that secretary and get a laywer.

Coincidentally, rebeccajo is a secretary too and she tought jane was mocking her.

I think it was just a misunderstanding:)

Good luck to the OP.

D and T

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Hello everyone, :star:

I know some of you will start judging me right away but pls don't, i'm in need of help right now so i don't really want ppl telling me that i haven't made the wisest decisions in the past. I already know that and I would really appreciate it if I can get some answers :yes:

I came to the US approx. 6 years ago, i entered the country as a tourist and decided to overstay (i got 6 months to stay).

I don't want to type a huuuuge thing so i'm just going to say i went through a lot of stuff and decided to start working ilegally (using fake documents). <-- I know that was very stupid.

A few years ago i met my husband (we just got married last month) and now we're trying to adjust my status so i can become a resident.

I'm not currently working (i quit last year when my husband (back then boyfriend) and i decided to move in together and i had to move far away from where i was working at that moment).

Back when i was working, Even though I was doing it ilegally, I always did my taxes, every single year (I got an ITIN number form the IRS).

My husband and I are currently working on the whole package to send to immigration and I don't know what to do regarding the question about employment history on form G-325A.

I don't want to lie but I'm scared. And sadly we can't afford an immigration lawyer since their rates are extremely high; we decided to take care of the whole thing by ourselves and luckily i found this great site.

I asked a person that works with immigration lawyers (she's like an assistant or secretary) and she told me I shouldn't tell them I've been working ilegally because they could deport me and that it doesn't matter that I'm the wife of an US citizen.

She claims that's what the lawyers she works for always tell their clients.

I told her that i don't want to lie, what if they find out (they could check with the IRS and see I've been doing my taxes, right?) and I'm not able to adjust my status?

Basically I'd like to know if any of you have gone through this and what did you guys do? What's going to happen when i send my G-325A with my ilegal employment history? Should i also send my taxes transcripts? How do i attach them? or should i wait and see if they ask me to take them to the interview?

I'm really lost because I don't know if I should lie about working ilegally or just give them my employment history and expect to be forgiven for being the wife of a US citizen.

Any pointers?

Thank you all for reading and for trying to help me!! I really appreciate it. :thumbs:

hey i was in the exact same situation as u r right now.. i overstayed my visa for 9 years.. worked illegaly and now married to a USC and had my interview last month and got approved..All in under 5 months. My attorney told me not to lie about any thing.. working illegaly is not a crime but if u get cought lying they will deny ur I 485. u payed taxes so declare that u worked and show them ur tax returns as well.If u wanna know any thing else i will be happy to help u. Don't worry abt what other ppl gonna say.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Lawyer consultation fee is very affordable. Get a consultation from several immigration attorneys in the area.

Who are you to say that? You have no idea of her/his situation!

Do not lie, honesty is the best virtue and it will get you through!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Basically you need lawyer no matter what. Your overstayed will be forgiven if you can prove that your marriage is real but having a lawyer will make you look better for USCIS. Dont you even try to work now!

Good Luck :D

AOS from K1

March 24th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

March 25th, 2009 -- AOS received!

April 2th, 2009 -- Check Cashed

April 2th, 2009 -- NOA received[AOS, EAD, AP]

April 5th, 2009 -- Biometrics Letter received

April 29th, 2009 -- Biometrics at 9am

April 15th, 2009 -- Transferred to CSC!

May 7th, 2009 -- EAD Approved -Card Production Ordered

May 7th, 2009 -- AP Approval notice sent

May 12th, 2009 -- EAD Approved -Card Production Ordered again!

May 13th, 2009 -- EAD Approval notice sent

*** May 15th, 2009 - EAD, AP received ***

June 24th, 2009 -- AOS Card Production Ordered!!!

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline
Lawyer consultation fee is very affordable. Get a consultation from several immigration attorneys in the area.

And what exactly is your comment about? soniew910 did not condone lying and has said nothing about the situation, just gave very reasonable advise to consult a lawyer...

What's your point?

Filed: Other Timeline

Ah, sorry about that. I think I misunderstood what you were saying.

My apologies.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

And what exactly is your comment about? soniew910 did not condone lying and has said nothing about the situation, just gave very reasonable advise to consult a lawyer...

What's your point?

my point is with regards to the "affordability" concept...was pretty trivial though

Both the overstay and the unauthorized employment may potentially be 'forgiven' by virtue of adjusting your status through marriage to a US citizen.

Do not lie. Tell the truth.

You should not go forward without the services of a reputable experienced immigration attorney. An attorney consult is usually affordable. You may or may not find that you should hire an attorney to assist you with your case. When you have that consult, be COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY forthcoming with that attoreny regarding every detail of your case, including the nature of these 'forged dcouments'.

What rebeccajo said. The overstay itself is the sort of thing that is not a bar ("forgiven") to adjustment of status. Neither is working illegally per se. What we don't know is whether using fake papers will incur any specific penalties or complications. An experienced attorney will be able to give you better advice (immigrate2us.net might be a better place to ask for a good attorney who has experience with overstays and illegal work.)

What you *don't* want to do is lie, because the penalties for lying on a form are much, much worse. But you should talk to an attorney before you file anything so you know what your options are.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.