11 posts in this topic

My fiance and I arrived in the US on April 30th on a K-1, and we went to the Social Security office today to apply for his social security card. I took along the POM document as per the Guide suggestion, but we didn't need it. They took a copy of his I-94 (it does not have an EAD stamp), and the photo page from his passport. The girl who "processed" us actually told us she was new and had never done a K-1 before, and at one point she asked another lady to verify that she had done everything right.

On the form, I checked that he IS eligible for employment (based on his K-1 status), and after entering all info, she printed out a letter saying that they had to do a document verification with DHS, and that it could take anywhere from 4-6 weeks. If he IS eligible for a SS card they will send it in the mail, and if not they'll advise us in writing why.

Does this sound correct?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My fiance and I arrived in the US on April 30th on a K-1, and we went to the Social Security office today to apply for his social security card. I took along the POM document as per the Guide suggestion, but we didn't need it. They took a copy of his I-94 (it does not have an EAD stamp), and the photo page from his passport. The girl who "processed" us actually told us she was new and had never done a K-1 before, and at one point she asked another lady to verify that she had done everything right.

On the form, I checked that he IS eligible for employment (based on his K-1 status), and after entering all info, she printed out a letter saying that they had to do a document verification with DHS, and that it could take anywhere from 4-6 weeks. If he IS eligible for a SS card they will send it in the mail, and if not they'll advise us in writing why.

Does this sound correct?

Exactly

YMMV

Does this sound correct?

Exactly

Awesome. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

just some info for you, I came in on a K1 also but when i got my ssc it said not authorised for work without dhs approval.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
just some info for you, I came in on a K1 also but when i got my ssc it said not authorised for work without dhs approval.

And as soon as you get your actual green card, you go back to the SS office with your card and your passport, and apply for a new card without that caption, just to avoid hassle later down the road, like in that period when you're waiting for your "removal of conditions" approval.

And as soon as you get your actual green card, you go back to the SS office with your card and your passport, and apply for a new card without that caption, just to avoid hassle later down the road, like in that period when you're waiting for your "removal of conditions" approval.

I actually asked about that today as well; I just confirmed that it was going to say something about him not being able to work without INS approval, and she said yes, that it would say that. We'll go back once he gets his green card. Thank goodness I'm changing my name and not him, one less hassle to deal with...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I have my ead now so i guess i can take that and my passport. tyvm

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I came here USING A k-1 visa. As far as i know you cant work without EAD. I was able to get my SSN in just 4 days using my maiden name 'coz they wont let me use my husband's family name unless my green card was approved. In my SSN letter it says that i can work only if i have an authorization from the Department of Homeland Security which is the EAD OR I-765 that i filed together with my I-485 AOS. Today, i got my green card approval so i will go back inn SSN office to change my family name. But, i think it differs in every state 'coz my friend in california got her SSN using her husband's family name but it took her 5 weeks before it was approved. But still you have to wait for EAD before u can work.

Timeline

Correct. I did that (passport and EAD), and got a card with the "DHS authorization" caption the mail a week later.

Once I had my GC, I went back with that and a the passport, told them I wanted one without the caption, the lady typed away furiously at her computer, took the captioned SS card, handed me a letter "has applied for..." (I also got one of those the first time around), and a week letter, the new card, without the caption, was in the mail again.

My wife (US citizen) had to bring our marriage certificate in addition to her ID (name change).

Edited by Kar98

Correct. I did that (passport and EAD), and got a card with the "DHS authorization" caption the mail a week later.

Once I had my GC, I went back with that and a the passport, told them I wanted one without the caption, the lady typed away furiously at her computer, took the captioned SS card, handed me a letter "has applied for..." (I also got one of those the first time around), and a week letter, the new card, without the caption, was in the mail again.

My wife (US citizen) had to bring our marriage certificate in addition to her ID (name change).

So I can hope that it doesn't actually take the full 4 weeks that they're estimating for the document verification?

Timeline
So I can hope that it doesn't actually take the full 4 weeks that they're estimating for the document verification?

This I can not promise. Mine said "you'll have it in about a week and a half", and she was right both times.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.