ms514

Removal of Conditions "Reminder Letter"?

10 posts in this topic

Hello All:

I received a letter "reminding" us that the 2 year conditional green card was to expire soon and that application for the removal of conditions would be required soon from USCIS. I was repeatedly told that no such reminder would be provided and that we would have to be aware of the 90 day window to file or else...insert omnious overtones and shadows.

Have others been receiving such reminders? Is this a new implementation of USCIS or was I misinformed?

Just a "Hey, guess what happened post".

P.S. This is in California.

A little update and background information on new information:

This letter was received at my parent's address. Originally, the case was initiated in New Jersey (original place of residence) and was followed through up to the 2 year green card interview in New Jersey. When the interview was conducted, the interviewing officer notified us that my wife's fingerprints had not come through and that she would have to come back to get the final green card stamp. We notified her of of our pending address change to California due to relocation there and she said that we had two choices: my wife could simply come back in September for a follow-up after the fingerprints were processed or the case would be transferred to CSC and the whole process to start again. We opted for my wife to fly back to NJ for the final processing and she was granted the I-551 stamp. We had been informed (and was promptly done thereafter) to file for the AR-11.

Now, we moved to California with my parents and then eventually bought our own house. AR-11 and the petitioner's change of address form was filed to update to the most recent address. This has all happened more than a year ago. A letter confirming the change of address was also mailed to us at the new address.

Forward to last Friday: We visit my parent's house and of course, that USCIS "reminder" was at their residence (our former California address that had been updated). So I called the USCIS representative and told her of the discrepency. She informed me that the Department of Homeland Security had received the change of address and that it may have been a regional office that did not update the address, but that the case files should have the new adress and that any and all further communication (forms etc.) should have our current new address. I asked whether we should attach a copy of the AR-11 with confirmation number in the I-751 application packet and she said "No. They have the information". I then asked her whether she could check what the most recent address was and she replied "No". I bit to the point, but I thought I would share.

Now, would it be somehow detrimental to our cause if I did include a letter in the I-751 packet explaining that the address has been changed and include a copy of the AR-11 to confirm that this address change has taken place? I would prefer to avoid an issue with this later on. Of course, we are glad that the communication came to our parents house, so even if any further paperwork is sent there, at least we would be informed of it.

Edit: Thanks Karin und Otto - I thought it was something new. I just remember the interviewing officer making it explicitly clear at the interview (1.5 years ago) that no reminder would be received and the whole if you do not file, your wife will be deported speech.

Edited by ms514

People have included a copy of AR-11 confirmation notice with their ROC cases. Bear in mind - when you do the change of address, it is only applied to the pending case - if you were done with AOS and changed the address in the end of process they would not have updated the records. For this reason, do send the confirmation notice and use the current CA address with all your correpondence with USCIS.

Best of luck to you!

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Thanks for the information milimelo. During the call, I was a bit like "Ok...how is including a copy of the AR-11 form going to completely ruin my case exactly?" I tend to take USCIS customer representative advice with a 1 ton grain of salt. Worst case is that it will be ignored, best case is that it will resolve any mis-conceptions regarding the address.

That point about the pending case - I remember filing electronically and there is an option after the address change information is recorded of whether there are pending applications for which the address change applies to. My wife's case was technically not pending and AOS was done when the change of address was filed, so I selected no.

I think I'll include that AR-11 just in case, perhaps with an explanation...thanks again.

I got one in February. Didn't really surprise me.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: Other Timeline

We got one in December. It was sent from the Vermont Service Center. I was surprised.

We had also had an address change and had reported it. But the notice was sent to our old address - thank goodness our postman (little town) recognized it as important and sent it on, even though our mail forwarding 'privileges' had expired months before.

I inquired of USCIS about this - two different phone calls to the Misinformation Line, two different reps. They BOTH told me a fact that was confirmed by more research on my part. If you send in an address change, unless you have a case of some kind in process - well then the information seems to get stored somewhere in the aliens file, but no place where the generation of future mail would make a difference.

So - when we sent in the I751 packet, I included copies of our electronic confirmation of my husband address change as well as my sponsorship change of address. It bugged me that we had complied with their wishes, but the 'reminder letter' had gone to our old address.

At the end of the day it doesn't seem to really matter. They seem to be only concerned with address changes if you have a case pending. At least insofar as sending the alien any correspondence goes.

Want to bet me though that if they decided they wanted to find you, they'd know right where to look? ;)

Edited by rebeccajo

I got reminder email in February but no the post.

On the form, there is a question about address change so you can clarify the move in there as well.

Good Luck! :star:

AOS

09-29-06 : File date

10-02-06 : NOA

10-26-06 : Biometrics appointment

06-28-07 : Interview Date <== Approved Yippee!!!

07-10-07 : Card rcv'd

I-751

04-14-09 : Mail date

04-16-09 : Mail rcv'd

04-17-09 : NOA date

04-29-09 : Check cashed!!!

05-02-09 : NOA arrived

05-26-09 : Biometrics done

09-04-09 : Approval letter arrived!!!

~~ When will my card arrive? ~~

Hello All:

I received a letter "reminding" us that the 2 year conditional green card was to expire soon and that application for the removal of conditions would be required soon from USCIS. I was repeatedly told that no such reminder would be provided and that we would have to be aware of the 90 day window to file or else...insert omnious overtones and shadows.

Have others been receiving such reminders? Is this a new implementation of USCIS or was I misinformed?

Just a "Hey, guess what happened post".

P.S. This is in California.

I received Reminder letter on the day they approved my I-485 on Oct. 03, 2007 from my adjudicator. And she wrote wrong month which is 30 days in advance. Anyway, we will see if there's one coming by mail. I will post here.

Edited by sj5

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I too received a reminder letter about 2 months prior to the 90 day window opening. It seems to be a new, welcome, addition. I would however still exercise caution...don't rely on it. Just know your own timeline, how people 'forget' is beyond me.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.